Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And I can't marry my dog. So we have the exact same restrictions on our rights to marriage. You want to change those restrictions to fit your lifestyle while at the same time keeping restrictions on other people who are not like you.
False. Marrying the same sex would still involve marrying another human being of age, who can consent. A dog cannot consent. Can you really not see the difference between marrying a human of the same sex and marrying an animal?

Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Where does it say "no citizens rights or privileges can be abridged?" I've read it and can't find that phrase.
Quote:
Amendment XIV

Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
I'm sorry, I said "rights and privileges" It says privileges, and immunities.

Either way. Marriage is a right, and you can not deny equal rights to citizens. IF you want to say marriage is a privilege, that is covered too.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:45 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Why do you want to have those rules? Who decided that those rules apply to marriage? You?
Why do you keep complaining that you can't marry your dog or your golf clubs?

Old 08-02-2012, 01:46 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
And I can't marry my dog. So we have the exact same restrictions on our rights to marriage. You want to change those restrictions to fit your lifestyle while at the same time keeping restrictions on other people who are not like you.
Your dog is not a US citizen, and can not give legal consent.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:49 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
People are insisting that supporting Chik-Fil-A is all about "freedom of speech" and so on, as opposed to outright anti-gay bigotry.

I've provided 50 examples to the contrary.

Now, I realize those 50 tweets may not necessarily reflect the majority, or even a significant minority, of those who went out of their way to buy chicken sandwiches yesterday. But there's plenty of empirical evidence to suggest that homophobic attitudes are indeed found among at least some of the chicken-eaters.
You aren't applying logic. Sorry, but your argument is not simply invalid, it is absurd.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:52 PM

441 posts, read 501,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
But how is that Christian like?
It isn't vaguely Christian. Christianity in the US is a bit like Christianity in Northern Ireland, Protestant and Catholic. It's all about exhibitionistic political displays, religiosity and sectarianism - hasn't got anything to do with living a life in keeping with Christ's teachings.

Having grown up surrounded by Southern Baptists, I can assure you they never waste their time doing "good works" - they think "being saved" is all Jesus wants from them. They spend the rest of their time criticizing Catholics, Jews, black people, Methodists, Presbyterians.. and Mormons. They really, really hate Mormons. Good luck, Mitt.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:54 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
False. Marrying the same sex would still involve marrying another human being of age, who can consent. A dog cannot consent. Can you really not see the difference between marrying a human of the same sex and marrying an animal?
Yes, they are different. Can you really not see the difference between marrying a human of the same sex and a human of the opposite sex?

You just want to define marriage to suit yourself and retain only the restrictions that YOU choose to retain. You want to restrict marriage to two humans that are not related. But that is no different than a heterosexual person defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

So you really are no different. You just want the laws to fit your lifestyle and to hell with anyone who wants the laws to fit their lifestyle.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:54 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You aren't applying logic. Sorry, but your argument is not simply invalid, it is absurd.
If you'd rather ignore the reality that some Chik-Fil-A supporters are rabidly bigoted against gays, that's entirely up to you. Doesn't mean that pointing that out is invalid or absurd.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:55 PM

502 posts, read 717,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
It's a pretty simple question, yet both of you evaded it. Why can't Christians practice bible quotes like ....

Corinthians 3:16
"Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple."

Are the waffle fries and chicken sandwiches spiritually fulfilling?

Instead so much focus go's into tyrades on gay marriage and abortion. Why do they care so much about it? Why are they so judgemental? Why can't they channel their focus into positive more positive outlets helping one another instead of fueling so much hatred? I'll admit the media is to blame for much of it, but alas the sheeple will follow suit.
I am a Christian and I volunteer with habitat for humanity and I've used my engineering degree to develop life-saving medical equipment. I think you'll find a lot of Christians who are like me and use their time/talents to serve a positive purpose. The problem arises when mean-spirited yuppies like the mayor of Chicago do stupid, nazi-esque stuff like banning chic-fil-a just because of the owner's personal opinion. Personally, I really don't care if gay people get married, I want them to be happy, but perhaps we should ban urban-dwelling liberal white people from getting married until they straighten up and drop the nasty, holier-than-thou-because-I-shop-at-whole-foods attitudes.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I'm sorry, I said "rights and privileges" It says privileges, and immunities.

Either way. Marriage is a right, and you can not deny equal rights to citizens. IF you want to say marriage is a privilege, that is covered too.

If marriage is a right that cannot be denied, they why would you deny me the right to marry my dog or marry a fencepost?

You propose to violate my right to marriage. You are no different than heterosexuals who define marriage as between a man and a woman. You just want to make the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies