Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
I know it's directed at jjrose, but if every single restaurant in my entire metro had the desire to use their flavour of religion to influence government, then I'd just stick with home-cooked meals.
Is there an In-n-Out burger restaurant anywhere near you?

They might not be influencing government policy, but they're spreading the word on every burger, fry and drink container they sell.

Spoiler

Old 08-07-2012, 10:17 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
jjrose, the actions in which you took are exactly what I think anyone should do in that situation, go somewhere else if you dont like it. But what happens when you find out when the next place does something you dont like, and the next, and so on....DOnt get me wrong, it sucks to live where not everyone can agree on the same things, but thats a part of life. Do you continue to chase the next restaurant only to find out that they support the same things that the previous one did? All in all everyone indirectly supports things that they dont agree with but sometimes you just have to come to reality that we dont live in a perfect world. I respect the fact that you dont protest, because again, what would anyone win by protesting? I just dont understand.
I simply do not support any business that donates to groups that are anti equality. If it comes to my knowledge that a place I shop does, I don't go there again. Thankfully most businesses DO support equality, so finding another alternative is really simple.

This is bigger than people not agreeing. This is about people being denied equal rights and privileges.
Would you fight for your rights if they were being denied, or would you roll over and say "oh well, it's okay"?

This country wouldn't exist if people didn't stand up and fight for their rights.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

They might not be influencing government policy, but they're spreading the word on every burger, fry and drink container they sell.
I actually liked in and out, when I lived in an area that had them. I have no problem with putting bible verses on wrappers. They donate to childrens charities, and not to anti gay groups.

This isn't about the owners religion, it's about the groups that he donates to in the companies name.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:27 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

As for In-n-Out's in my area? I thought that was a West coast thing? I'm on the eastern seaboard.

But, like I said, I don't have a problem with owners being religious or the company being religious. I would eat at an In-N-Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I actually liked in and out, when I lived in an area that had them. I have no problem with putting bible verses on wrappers. They donate to childrens charities, and not to anti gay groups.

This isn't about the owners religion, it's about the groups that he donates to in the companies name.
Pretty much.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
jjrose, im not sure how to respond because it depends what those rights I was being denied were. Im a very stubborn person at times so I probably would be the one to say "oh well, its ok". Im not saying thats the right response but I have not been put into this sort of position so it would be hard for me to put myself in your shoes. But I understand what you mean. I will step away now.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Uh no. Leviticus 20:27 says for the Israelites following Moses to put to death people possessing familiars and wizards. Nothing about fortune tellers or mediums. Read the correct Bible (KJV) homeskillet.
Your condescension is noted as well. But just what do you think a person "possessing familiar spirits" IS? And I suppose you think that by "wizard", the bible was telling you to hunt Gandalf from the Lord of the Rings

Quote:
27 A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.
Leviticus 20 KJV - And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, - Bible Gateway

So the question becomes, just what is a "familiar spirit"?

Quote:
Leviticus 19:31; 20:6, 27; and Deuteronomy 18:9-14 refer to “mediums and familiar spirits” and forbids being involved with them, as they are an abomination to the Lord. The medium was one who acted as a “go-between” to supposedly contact or communicate with the dead, but in reality they were contacting demons who convinced the mediums that they were “familiar” and could be trusted and believed. The practices associated with mediums and familiar spirits were banned in Israel, and the punishment for practicing such things was death.
What are familiar spirits?

And what is a "wizard"?

Quote:
Wizard [N] [S]
a pretender to supernatural knowledge and power, "a knowing one," as the original Hebrew word signifies. Such an one was forbidden on pain of death to practise his deceptions ( Leviticus 19:31 ; Leviticus 20:6 Leviticus 20:27 ; 1 Samuel 28:3 ; Isaiah 8:19 ; 19:3 ).
In other words, what we call a psychic today.

Wizard - Easton's Bible Dictionary Online

And let's not forget about working on the Sabbath, not listening to priests, being of another religion, being a nonbeliever in general, and not being a virgin on your wedding night (if you're a woman). When's the last time you saw a protest over atheists being parents? Or against the marital rights of people who choose to do general work on the Sabbath (not talking of feeding the hungry, healing people, or freeing animals and children, because that's all Jesus explicitly made exceptions to the Sabbath day commandment for)?

Rationalize it however you want. You are in fact choosing to go after homosexuals with far more zeal than any other group of "sinners". Prejudice revealed; there's no hiding it any longer.

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 08-07-2012 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
And I suppose you think that by "wizard", the bible was telling you to hunt Gandalf from the Lord of the Rings
Well to be fair LotR is a hell of a lot more plausible. Shoot, the 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook is more grounded in reality than the bible.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:48 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,573 times
What was the in your face kiss-in supposed to accomplish anyway besides grossing out a non receptive audience? The kiss-in didn't even get a tenth of the media coverage or turnout as the Chil Fil A supporters did and it looks like it was yet another flop that succeeded only in more negative publicity for the homosexual agenda.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
What was the in your face kiss-in supposed to accomplish anyway besides grossing out a non receptive audience? The kiss-in didn't even get a tenth of the media coverage or turnout as the Chil Fil A supporters did and it looks like it was yet another flop that succeeded only in more negative publicity for the homosexual agenda.
Do you realize why it was a "flop"?

Because MOST of the homosexuals didn't attend. We simply don't spend our money at CFA.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
I have no problem with the bible (though I disagree with a few parts of it) or Christianity. But I think if people who are against gay marriage are going to suggest their motivation comes from the bible, they should speak against every "sin" therein with with equal fervency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies