U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 10:41 AM

31,776 posts, read 22,275,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
and yes madam, I will increase my prices enough to offset the additional tax and the added revenue for that tax....
You would, to bump up your profits as well. See, taxes are merely an excuse and so are "threats". Bump up your price, consumers will look for better deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 10:41 AM

431 posts, read 526,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Literally no one is going to leave American for one of those places because their taxes went up a few percentage points.

Dubai. Seriously? Have fun in that dump.
Do you live in the same place your money does?

The 1% will live anywhere they want, their money will live where it's least disturbed.

You simply don't appreciate the ease with which money can move. If America doesn't provide sufficient opportunities to generate a return on capital, you can absolutely count on it moving in proportion to every percentage in tax you lay on it.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
Do you live in the same place your money does?

The 1% will live anywhere they want, their money will live where it's least disturbed.

You simply don't appreciate the ease with which money can move. If America doesn't provide sufficient opportunities to generate a return on capital, you can absolutely count on it moving in proportion to every percentage in tax you lay on it.
There are plenty of places with very little or no taxes. Those places must be thriving with opportunities for the rich to move and invest. No? Yet, the movement has been to countries with (in fact) higher taxes, like India and China. Perhaps their "problem" isn't taxes but labor? So, how about we listen less to politicians and more to such people the politicians claim to speak for?

"Does the tax rate have anything to do with the business’s ability to compete ? Some may argue that if the tax rate is lower, the company may have some more cash to compete with. But then so would the competition. So that argument doesn’t hold up.

The reality is that most industries are a dog fight. You have competition and you crush your brain and those of everyone around you looking for ways to get an edge. If you find a way to better compete, you are going to leverage whatever resources you have available to you in order to do so. You are not going to look at your tax rate first. You are not going to avoid making a decision because your taxes are TOO DAMN HIGH. You are going to do what you can to compete. Taxes be damned. Rule #1 of business is to stay in business."

- Mark Cuban, My Views on Corporations & Taxes

Old 12-19-2011, 10:45 AM

2,651 posts, read 2,703,492 times
People have incomes. Unless they are planning on working in Dubai, those incomes can and will be taxed. If there were a way around this, like I said, they'd already be doing it. The best they can do is reduce their effective tax rates, which is something they are doing already with deductions and so forth.

In any event, tax evasion on the scale you're threatening will simply prompt the government to take alternative measures. Transaction taxes, wealth taxes, property surcharges, luxury taxes, etc.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:45 AM

4,259 posts, read 2,625,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
If you hate money being spent on such adventures as Afghanistan and Iraq, be vocal about being opposed to them BEFORE they are taken up. In fact, be vocal about foreign policies that ultimately necessitate such idiocy as having to invade another country. Don't blame after the fact, while ignoring the reality that once you create a mess, you better be prepared to clean up.

Actualy I was vocal about it before. Contacting both my house member and senator to let them know my thoughts on it. I have also remained in contact with the folks who replaced them to let them know. As all Americans should. It is not only our right, it is our responsability.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
There are plenty of places with very little or no taxes. Those places must be thriving with opportunities for the rich to move and invest. No? Yet, the movement has been to countries with (in fact) higher taxes, like India and China. Perhaps their "problem" isn't taxes but labor? So, how about we listen less to politicians and more to such people the politicians claim to speak for?

"Does the tax rate have anything to do with the businessís ability to compete ? Some may argue that if the tax rate is lower, the company may have some more cash to compete with. But then so would the competition. So that argument doesnít hold up.

The reality is that most industries are a dog fight. You have competition and you crush your brain and those of everyone around you looking for ways to get an edge. If you find a way to better compete, you are going to leverage whatever resources you have available to you in order to do so. You are not going to look at your tax rate first. You are not going to avoid making a decision because your taxes are TOO DAMN HIGH. You are going to do what you can to compete. Taxes be damned. Rule #1 of business is to stay in business."

Actualy the banking industry in the caribean is still thriving, despite efforts of our gvmt.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 AM

9,837 posts, read 5,053,224 times
Quote:
You would, to bump up your profits as well. See, taxes are merely an excuse and so are "threats". Bump up your price, consumers will look for better deals.
Do you really think that I have been in business for all these years without understanding the concepts of supply and demand? The demand will still be there and I will continue to do just as well at the increased price. It isn't rocket science, it's just a basic principle.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Do you really think that I have been in business for all these years without understanding the concepts of supply and demand? The demand will still be there and I will continue to do just as well at the increased price. It isn't rocket science, it's just a basic principle.
Yes.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 AM

9,837 posts, read 5,053,224 times
Quote:
Yes.
You would be wrong...

Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Actualy I was vocal about it before. Contacting both my house member and senator to let them know my thoughts on it. I have also remained in contact with the folks who replaced them to let them know. As all Americans should. It is not only our right, it is our responsability.

For anyone who wants to contact theirs , contact info can be found here

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies