Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 10:13 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
You've obviously never been pregnant or had a child. Especially after you start feeling the little flutters in your belly, you can't stop loving that little being that grows inside of you. It's not just a "parasite" or "lump", it's a part of you like nothing else, and yet separate from you. There is no way to describe it to someone who has never experienced it.
I suppose we just have a somewhat different idea of what love means.
No, being a man, of course I have never been pregnant. Thus I see pregnancy from a scientific perspective. With humans it is no different than with mice, elephants, monkeys, etc. I agree that a fetus is not a parasite as it does not do anything the mother's body is not prepared to handle. Still, to me the fetus is like a guest in a hotel, and as such never part of the mother at all. Actually, nature goes to great lengths to make sure mother and fetus are always separate. All that happened with mammals is that the growth of the fetus has been moved from the external egg into the mother's body as it is safer and more efficient.
Of course you feel the fetus when it moves, but not because it is part of you in any way.
I think humans tend to exaggerate a lot and live in illusions, oftentimes mixed with religious aspects. They think they themselves are special, and of course their babies and kids are special, when in reality none of them are special, but just like any other man, woman, baby or kid. Maybe nature gives parents that illusion so they take better care of their offspring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Before they started the show, they had 17 kids, and they look very well fed. They had their house before the show also, and it's huge. They were doing just fine before the show started. So your point is moot.

I'm sure they will be fine, their family has instilled good Christian and Conservative values.

Before the show they have now they used to run specials on one of those cable networks, probably the same one they are on now. I remember watching a special of theirs when Michelle was pregnant with #15. They did not have the big house they have now. During that special Jim Bob and his older sons were building the house but over the course of the special the network donated the rest of the materials and finished building it for them, gave them all their furniture, and appliances and basically decked it out so they could have their own show IMO.

They had more than one TV special before the show and so they evidently needed the money. Also their house was a 3 bedroom house before they got the one they live in now, which was built through charity, which is not bad but it is proof that they were not doing fine if they could not finish the house without charity.

Also no one has mentioned the healthcare costs that I mentioned earlier. I do know that Jim Bob was a state rep and he probably has coverage via the state still so basically they are getting free healthcare for all these kids and Michelle during all these pregnancies. They more than likely have cost the state millions upon millions of dollars with the high risk birth of their last child and all the monitoring that Michelle needs, plus the 4 or 5 c-sections that she has had, which are 40K a pop. Not to mention neonatal care for the infants that were premature or had issues at birth.

But still don't care about their dead fetus pics. They can do what they want and don't really care about them one way or another but it is funny to me that many just assume that they take care of themselves, by themselves, when that is not true at all.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Before the show they have now they used to run specials on one of those cable networks, probably the same one they are on now. I remember watching a special of theirs when Michelle was pregnant with #15. They did not have the big house they have now. During that special Jim Bob and his older sons were building the house but over the course of the special the network donated the rest of the materials and finished building it for them, gave them all their furniture, and appliances and basically decked it out so they could have their own show IMO.

They had more than one TV special before the show and so they evidently needed the money. Also their house was a 3 bedroom house before they got the one they live in now, which was built through charity, which is not bad but it is proof that they were not doing fine if they could not finish the house without charity.

Also no one has mentioned the healthcare costs that I mentioned earlier. I do know that Jim Bob was a state rep and he probably has coverage via the state still so basically they are getting free healthcare for all these kids and Michelle during all these pregnancies. They more than likely have cost the state millions upon millions of dollars with the high risk birth of their last child and all the monitoring that Michelle needs, plus the 4 or 5 c-sections that she has had, which are 40K a pop. Not to mention neonatal care for the infants that were premature or had issues at birth.

But still don't care about their dead fetus pics. They can do what they want and don't really care about them one way or another but it is funny to me that many just assume that they take care of themselves, by themselves, when that is not true at all.
They evidently needed the money?? Based on what evidence?

The family never needed financial assistance.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I suppose we just have a somewhat different idea of what love means.
No, being a man, of course I have never been pregnant. Thus I see pregnancy from a scientific perspective. With humans it is no different than with mice, elephants, monkeys, etc. I agree that a fetus is not a parasite as it does not do anything the mother's body is not prepared to handle. Still, to me the fetus is like a guest in a hotel, and as such never part of the mother at all. Actually, nature goes to great lengths to make sure mother and fetus are always separate. All that happened with mammals is that the growth of the fetus has been moved from the external egg into the mother's body as it is safer and more efficient.
Of course you feel the fetus when it moves, but not because it is part of you in any way.
I think humans tend to exaggerate a lot and live in illusions, oftentimes mixed with religious aspects. They think they themselves are special, and of course their babies and kids are special, when in reality none of them are special, but just like any other man, woman, baby or kid. Maybe nature gives parents that illusion so they take better care of their offspring.
Its glaringly obvious you have never been a parent.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:16 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Its glaringly obvious you have never been a parent.
Of course not, and that's a good thing, given the world population trend. I am doing my best to compensate for the irresponsible behavior of religious people. Nor am I so vain as to think I need to preserve myself in any way.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:19 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the schadenfreude that I'm reading in many of these comments. The photos are not graphic; the effect is essentially the same as posting a picture of footprints or handprints.

I think the Duggars are more than a little looney but what damage has possibly been done to anyone by a public posting of a stillborn baby's hands and feet being clutched by a bereaved mother?

Shame on many of you.
I agree. The Duggars might not be the most normal folks, but they are grieving a loss. How they do it is their business.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McGarrett View Post
Exactly. Here is a fine example by this black woman:

Woman With 15 Kids (says): "Somebody needs to be held accountable, and they need to pay."

Please watch:

Woman With 15 Kids: "Somebody needs to be held accountable, and they need to pay." - YouTube
There's already a thread going over this ad nauseum. Or don't you care?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
I didn't know the Duggars has a show until I got on this thread. However, anyone that reads the news or goes online will come across the clean scrubbed Duggars hamming it up for the camera. Guess they have to pay for that chit load of kids someway.

"I guess you've never had a child."

I seen co-workers frame and put a picture of her grandchild's ultrasound on her desk. My opinion is that is silly,and excessive, but if she wants to put an ugly picture of a blob on her desk then do so. I don't care one way or the other and I'll be nice when they 'show off' the baby, but my thoughts are "I really don't give a rat's azz about your ultrasound picture." It's a fetus. Big deal. Any one of us who have ever had a child has been through this. Stop making such a big F'N deal about pregnancy. Seriously. Women have been dropping babies since the beginning of time."

Yes, miscarrying a pregnancy is painful, but the Duggars are over the top. have just gone overboard with their gregarious way of showing the world how painful it is to them. I mean, what is it these people have to prove?

As I said earlier, if they want to tweet pictures of a dead fetus then do it. It's NOMB. However, I can still voice my opinion that I think the Duggars are publicity hogs. I'm beginning to think they are trying to prove to the world that they love their kids soooooooo much.
talk about a pity party.
Every woman whos lived thru a miscarriage should get her own hourly show with Dr Phil. It happens every day.

Why does this woman corner the market for pity. Please. Theres alot worse people are living thrugh everyday .
I for one would rather see TLC show how Iraqi children are surviving now. So sick of narcissism in the media.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
When I was a kid I planted a spruce seeds and one day one of them indeed opened and developed into a baby spruce tree. I was so happy. But then it died all of a sudden, at just one inch or so. I was so sad and cried. In hindsight I do think it was my own projections, the difference between my expectations and reality, that I was so sad about, not the little baby tree as such having died.

I am a rather objective person, sorry, not at all on the dramatic side of things. I have observed so many people over the years, and drawn certain conclusions...
Do you have children? I bet you don't.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:28 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They evidently needed the money?? Based on what evidence?

The family never needed financial assistance.

Based on the fact that they took the handouts from the network and that they have a show on TV that is paying them money to take care of their family.

How do you know they never needed financial assistance? If they didn't why wouldn't they refuse the charity they are given in order for someone who is truly in need to receive those gifts. Especially if they are so-called "good Christian people." There are plenty of homeless kids who could use a nice house. There are plenty of hard working people who don't have furniture or washing machines or a decked out kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies