Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 05:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yet they incorporated themes from another culture not the rantings of one man. Mohammed borrowed from Judaism and Christianity. Culture diffusion has a long history among humanity.
Not so fast, nothing about the Festival of Saturnalians is incorporated in Christmas! The Festival was hijacked, traditions destroyed and replaced by this Christian mythology.

Nice try, but a major fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 05:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What i'm trying to understand is how are you comparing Christianity and Kwanzaa? One has nothing to do with the other anyway.

One is a religion, albeit a dubious one.

The other is simply a celebration. No more so than St. Paddy's day. There are no priests, pastors, commandments that shall not be broken at the cost of ones eternal afterlife, etc, etc.

So really...a simple celebration is worth all of this scorn? Why?
That's kind of my point.I'm not comparing Kwanzaa to Christianity you and others are saying they are the same.

Kwanzaa has not cultural or if you will religious roots and thus is not comparable to Christianity.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not so fast, nothing about the Festival of Saturnalians is incorporated in Christmas! The Festival was hijacked, traditions destroyed and replaced by this Christian mythology.

Nice try, but a major fail.
What are you talking about the festival is thought by some to have influenced some Xmas practices.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Your picking and choosing what I say and asking silly questions. You need to take what I say in entirety before I can respond.

Once again a set of Black people get miffed and think people are attacking them when folks question a practice that emanates from their community.

I specifically brought in voodoo as a comparison. Voodoo in my opinion is as legitimate as Christianity or any other religion because it is a manifestation of a cultural group. Values and beliefs that are formed over generations. Kwanzaa no matter how you slice it is not. It has no roots in the African American or African traditions. It's not a manifestation of a cultural group.
There is no reason to question THIS practice that emanates from the black community because there is nothing questionable about it...it is what it is. It hurts no one, and its practice isn't illegal. I'm sure my neighbors participate in things within their own homes that i don't approve of personally, but if its legal, and done in their own home, how is it questionable so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others?

Kwanzaa doesn't need roots from any cultural group to be valid. It's valid because SOMEONE wants to observe it, and it's not hurting anyone. That's enough in America....or so i thought. It's validity doesn't need to come from white folks (your preference), non observing black folks, African folks, or anyone else. One man invented it, some folks like it....the END. That makes it valid.

I can't make myself any clearer.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Anything else black you hate and want to mention?

"Black History Month" is February because it is the shortest month of the year.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
That's kind of my point.I'm not comparing Kwanzaa to Christianity you and others are saying they are the same.

Kwanzaa has not cultural or if you will religious roots and thus is not comparable to Christianity.
I'm not comparing it to Christianity, i'm comparing it to Christmas at it's basic level. That is...both are celebrations of something or another. Christmas is valid not because it has any real merit (it doesn't), but because folks want to celebrate it and have the right to do so.

Kwanzaa has cultural roots if it's your culture to celebrate it....regardless of how deep those roots are. If it's only one generation, fine. If it's 20, fine. It shouldn't make any difference one way or the other.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Ah, when you argue that Kwanzaa is this made up holiday, one then must accept that Christmas is nothing more than the same but instead you attempt ot argue that because Christmas is older it is legitimate, a legitimacy that you deny Kwanzaa.

Our argument, at least the one that I am putting forward, is that all holidays, observances are inventions none of which began with the emergence of man on the planet. As a result all have a point in which they were "made up".

Quote:
Being an immigrant, with scant knowledge or understanding of African American culture or history, you are hardly in a position to argue that Kwanzaa does not have culture or cultural roots (which ever you were trying to write) it most certainly does, being born out of the neo-Pan-African awaking of the 1960's.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There is no reason to question THIS practice that emanates from the black community because there is nothing questionable about it...it is what it is. It hurts no one, and its practice isn't illegal. I'm sure my neighbors participate in things within their own homes that i don't approve of personally, but if its legal, and done in their own home, how is it questionable so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others?

Kwanzaa doesn't need roots from any cultural group to be valid. It's valid because SOMEONE wants to observe it, and it's not hurting anyone. That's enough in America....or so i thought. It's validity doesn't need to come from white folks (your preference), non observing black folks, African folks, or anyone else. One man invented it, some folks like it....the END. That makes it valid.

Yes some folks thought Jim Jones was valid too. Kwanzaa is nothing.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
What are you talking about the festival is thought by some to have influenced some Xmas practices.
Annual Christmas Post

Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ah, when you argue that Kwanzaa is this made up holiday, one then must accept that Christmas is nothing more than the same but instead you attempt ot argue that because Christmas is older it is legitimate, a legitimacy that you deny Kwanzaa.

Our argument, at least the one that I am putting forward, is that all holidays, observances are inventions none of which began with the emergence of man on the planet. As a result all have a point in which they were "made up".

Being an immigrant, with scant knowledge or understanding of African American culture or history, you are hardly in a position to argue that Kwanzaa does not have culture or cultural roots (which ever you were trying to write) it most certainly does, being born out of the neo-Pan-African awaking of the 1960's.
Of one man. Also if it's of Pan African origin which African religion? If you can show me where Kwanzaa was practiced by slaves, free Blacks or any other group of African Americans before this guy came along then I will stand corrected.

Also I read quite a bit. I never lived in Ancient Rome but know something about it. I dare say I know more about Black American history than most Black Americans and definitely more than most posters on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies