Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:38 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Only because reporting of crime is different as in it isn't reported.

Most people will tell you truthfully that crime is not down

Use logic.... drug use at record levels, people are more depressed than ever, record number of people in poverty and record levels of broken families and YOU want us to believe that crime numbers are accurate
I could not care less if people want to get high. Big government types disagree, but that's their right.

Government knows what is best for you!!! Just say no!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 08:17 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I got an A- is stats so let's try another tact because one part of statement was about correlation, pointing out that it would be difficult to infer (correlation) a relationship between spanking and the propensity to commit crime, and the other regarding causation by pointing to articles that demonstrate a causal relationship between and higher rates of aggressive and anti-social behaviors in children. So, you see I raise issue of both correlation and causation.
The article in the Independent does not say there is a proven casual link, because they know the study's conclusions were correlative. It heavily implies a causal link, and clearly is written with the agenda of persuading the reader to accept a causal link, but it does not posit one.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
I was listening Dr. Ronald Ferguson on NPR (heaven forbid) the Director of Harvard's Achievement Gap Initiative who makes the argument that one of the factors underlying black/white academic achievement is the over reliance on corporal punishment by African American parents. He states that corporal punishment as opposed to cognitive reasoning retards a child's mental and thus their academic achievement.
(Bold added.)

The error is in supposing that the two are "opposed." Corporal punishment and reasoning are not inversely proportional; there is plenty of room for both.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My father used to say that black folks got that beating kids sh*t from white folks...and i'm inclined to agree. Must be something that we took out of the slave experience. I'm sure they thought that beatings get results when often, it just makes people more stubborn. And clearly, it was something that was passed along over the decades since.

I agree totally with Dr. Ferguson. It makes perfect sense.
Do you suppose those folks who think water boarding is an effective way to get prisoners to talk are the offspring of the owners who beat their slaves?

Looks to me that by now, we could have learned something.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:19 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I don't condone child abuse, but warming their little backsides to get their attention is a tool that sometimes becomes necessary. That includes my grandchildren and they know it. It doesn't always have to be used, but they have to know it is in your arsenal...

Agree whole heartedly. I have an 8 year old. It's used sparingly, but he knows.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Spare the rod and spoil the child. They can do no wrong and just get told about a million times "stop that". Well, now they are spoiled young adults that still think they can do no wrong.

At least the judge they have to stand before does more than say "stop that".

Old 12-22-2011, 05:00 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
Quote:
"Spare the rod, spoil the child (what went wrong?):

Actually nothing. You would be hard pressed to demonstrate a correllation between the use of corporal punishment and a any decrease in future criminal behavior. In point of fact most of the research demonstrates that reliance on spanking increases aggressive behaviors and most astounding a decrease in IQ.
Spanking is a euphemism for hitting. One is not permitted to hit one's spouse or a stranger; these actions are considered domestic violence and/or assault. Nor should one be permitted to hit a smaller and even more vulnerable child. Hitting a child elicits precisely the feelings one does not want to generate in a child: distress, anger, fear, shame, and disgust. Studies show that children who are hit will "identify with the aggressor," and they are more likely to become hitters themselves, i.e., bullies and future abusers of their children and spouses. They tend to learn to use violent behavior as a way to deal with disputes.
[url=http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/great-kids-great-parents/200908/why-do-we-still-spank-hit-children-the-problem-physical-corpora[/url]

I have no idea why the above link doesn't work.

Spanking children can lead to aggressive behavior: study - Health & Families - Life & Style - The Independent
It sounds like you're been listening to too many crack-pot theories and cooked studies by people who started out with the idea that spanking was bad.

Children are not adults. Their reasoning capabilities don't allow them in the early years to respond to logic. However, they do respond to pain. Spanking ensures that children learn correct behaviors. By the time they're grown, most are more respectful of others and realize that there are rules within society and there are punishments. All "sparing the rod" does is create spoiled brats who do not believe in standards. As a result, higher levels of anti-social behavior, incarceration, or even death are found. Part of the reason why children without fathers are out of control is because of the lack of discipline in the home, of which most fathers are. It's also a product of not having the extra support needed to discipline in a more-effective manner.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
It sounds like you're been listening to too many crack-pot theories and cooked studies by people who started out with the idea that spanking was bad.

Children are not adults. Their reasoning capabilities don't allow them in the early years to respond to logic. However, they do respond to pain. Spanking ensures that children learn correct behaviors. By the time they're grown, most are more respectful of others and realize that there are rules within society and there are punishments. All "sparing the rod" does is create spoiled brats who do not believe in standards. As a result, higher levels of anti-social behavior, incarceration, or even death are found. Part of the reason why children without fathers are out of control is because of the lack of discipline in the home, of which most fathers are. It's also a product of not having the extra support needed to discipline in a more-effective manner.
I agree with your points. However, I believe you may have touched a raw nerve on some people and take it personnaly and accuse you of being against single moms raising kids. I will sit and watch. I am interested on responses. I know where you are coming from but some people will spin your comments. Take care.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post

You are wrong, spanking actually causes mental problems.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:09 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You are wrong, spanking actually causes mental problems.
Mental Problems? Yeah, whatever you say, buddy.

I was spanked, and so was everyone I know. I don't know of any with mental problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies