Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:14 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times

Advertisements

The "tax cut" is artificial anyway. The average taxpayer sees very little difference with or without it. Just another example of "the public will believe anything" leadership from Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
The "tax cut" is artificial anyway. The average taxpayer sees very little difference with or without it. Just another example of "the public will believe anything" leadership from Washington.

Exactly, for the average American , its $13 a week.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
i don't know how y'all figure. An extra $624 / year for someone who earns in the $33,000 range is fairly significant.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
Quote:
True.

Now I realize that some folks might be able to use that 13 bucks... but it's mainly a "look, we cut your taxes - you should love us" statement from Washington at a time when deficits are larger than ever.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 AM

201 posts, read 469,844 times
Quote:
Thats the same mentality most people have when ever there is a vote to raise property taxes or sales taxes and the puplic votes for it. Its only a penny ok. Its only 1/2 percent more ok. Next thing you know there is a 10% sales tax. Or your property tax bill stupid high.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 AM

I realy dont give a rats azz either way as I take the majority of my pay as a profit dispursment and not thru payroll. I just think its foolish to cutdown on funding SS when there is already talk about trillions in unfunded liabilites.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2az2id View Post
Thats the same mentality most people have when ever there is a vote to raise property taxes or sales taxes and the puplic votes for it. Its only a penny ok. Its only 1/2 percent more ok. Next thing you know there is a 10% sales tax. Or your property tax bill stupid high.

Sales tax? Ya live in one of those states where one has to pay extortion for the right to spend their own money? Feel for ya bro.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:03 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:
Untill someone points out that doing so will defund the beloved social security. Or in other words " stealing from grandpa"
Hey, you know something...I'm actually with you on that - I was never a huge fan of this tax cut to begin with.

It's not that I'm necessarily arguing in favor of the tax cut, because as you quite correctly point out, it *does* de-fund social security. And fundamentally, my problem with this is the same problem I had with Bush's tax rebates: they're just using the tax code for political gimmickry. Enough already. (See, I'm not *that* much of a partisan, now am I? )

The problem I have with Republicans is, the sheer hypocrisy of their policies. They say they're all about cutting taxes and getting government out of people's lives, and it's just a bunch of horse crap. They're for protecting the super wealthy. Some members of the tea party especially exist for no other reason than to support anti-tax radical Grover Norquist's narrow agenda. It's even worse than the traditional GOP stance on protecting the large scale corporations (and in all fairness, a lot of democrats like Max 'Bought-us' are no better).

Old 12-20-2011, 11:35 AM

703 posts, read 2,941,864 times
Congressional negotiations need to be made public! No more of these behind closed door pow-wows! If someone makes a demand, own up to it instead of hiding and cowering behind the group. Make it OPEN for the sake of true transparency and accountability!

Old 12-20-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Hey, you know something...I'm actually with you on that - I was never a huge fan of this tax cut to begin with.

It's not that I'm necessarily arguing in favor of the tax cut, because as you quite correctly point out, it *does* de-fund social security. And fundamentally, my problem with this is the same problem I had with Bush's tax rebates: they're just using the tax code for political gimmickry. Enough already. (See, I'm not *that* much of a partisan, now am I? )

The problem I have with Republicans is, the sheer hypocrisy of their policies. They say they're all about cutting taxes and getting government out of people's lives, and it's just a bunch of horse crap. They're for protecting the super wealthy. Some members of the tea party especially exist for no other reason than to support anti-tax radical Grover Norquist's narrow agenda. It's even worse than the traditional GOP stance on protecting the large scale corporations (and in all fairness, a lot of democrats like Max 'Bought-us' are no better).

They are all hypocrites , both sides. Differance is at one time they would argue all day then sit down together at night , have a few cocktails and come to an agreement. Now its partisan bickering going no where.

Although nowhere is sometimes better then where they want to take us.
As Mark Twain once said " neither your money or your freedoms are safe when the legislature is in session"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies