U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 AM

18,794 posts, read 14,290,500 times

Advertisements

When Obama first surfaced as a prez contender around 2007, I recall being impressed that he got the cold shoulder from Sharpton and Jesse Jackson initially. I remember Sharpton saying something along the lines of 'we have other allies' (meaning Hillary, obviously). I figured that if Sharpton didn't like this new guy, new guy can't be all bad.

Five years later, what is the legacy of our first black president on race relations? Has he moved us closer to, or further from, the dream of Martin Luther King Jr.? I suspect he has deliberatlely tried to stay above the fray, to lead by example not by rhetoric. Rarely does he talk about race. And I do consider that admirable. Unless I miss my guess his aim is to be the embodiment of King's dream, and thus not even have to talk about it. Score one for Pres Obama!

But there have been problems too, in my view. I see us as moving backwards in the last few years rather than forwards, and it's largely because of the 'race-card' phenomenon embraced by the liberal left. Pres. Obama should have explicitly distanced himself from that, but he didn't. For example:

1) Back during the campaign he tried to play the race card against the McCain campaign by predicting that McCain would run a racist campaign.
Obama Aide Concedes 'Dollar Bill' Remark Referred to His Race - ABC News

2) He ran a horribly race-baiting ad aimed at Hispanic voters, which even liberal ABC reporter Jake Tapper found to be repulsive and inaccurate
From the Fact Check Desk: Obama’s New Spanish Language TV Ad Es Erróneo - ABC News

3) He has failed to disavow allies who toss out false accusations of racism like confetti against conservative opponents. Maybe lefty blogger Spencer Ackerman who urged "call them [random conservatives] racist" is beneath Obama's attention. But when Congresswoman Shelia Jackson-Lee does it, shouldn't he at least have some minions out there spreading the word that he's not on board with the race-baiting? But Obama doesn't do that.

4) In the latest twist, even his atty gen. Eric Holder is out there making accusations of racism (see today's thread by insightful poster KUchief25). Now with the 'Fast and Furious' scandal boiling, you can't tell me that Holder is not in close daily contact with Obama. Everything he says must have the Obama stamp of approval. That makes Holder's statment especially sad.

In conclusion, I see Pres Obama's record as mixed. He's done some things amazingly right, but in many ways has been a big disappointment. What do you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 06:30 AM

24 posts, read 59,852 times
Wasn't Rev. Kings dream the same as God's will for all of us?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 AM

9,608 posts, read 9,856,076 times
For some reason I see a big FAIL coming on. A lot of words to say nothing. Race relations in the U.S. between blacks and whites are 400 years old. Obama who, btw, is bi-racial, has been an adult for less than 30 years. Jesus Christ was an adult for maybe half that time and He got a lot done during His time on Earth but... sheesh... cut an ordinary guy some slack couldja?

H

Old 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM

3,502 posts, read 1,822,984 times
Whenever there are changes in something as significant as race relations, it usually doesn't come from Presidents but from the people. Stop looking at the Government to fix everything.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:30 AM

50,757 posts, read 26,780,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
When Obama first surfaced as a prez contender around 2007, I recall being impressed that he got the cold shoulder from Sharpton and Jesse Jackson initially. I remember Sharpton saying something along the lines of 'we have other allies' (meaning Hillary, obviously). I figured that if Sharpton didn't like this new guy, new guy can't be all bad.

Five years later, what is the legacy of our first black president on race relations? Has he moved us closer to, or further from, the dream of Martin Luther King Jr.? I suspect he has deliberatlely tried to stay above the fray, to lead by example not by rhetoric. Rarely does he talk about race. And I do consider that admirable. Unless I miss my guess his aim is to be the embodiment of King's dream, and thus not even have to talk about it. Score one for Pres Obama!

But there have been problems too, in my view. I see us as moving backwards in the last few years rather than forwards, and it's largely because of the 'race-card' phenomenon embraced by the liberal left. Pres. Obama should have explicitly distanced himself from that, but he didn't. For example:

1) Back during the campaign he tried to play the race card against the McCain campaign by predicting that McCain would run a racist campaign.
Obama Aide Concedes 'Dollar Bill' Remark Referred to His Race - ABC News

2) He ran a horribly race-baiting ad aimed at Hispanic voters, which even liberal ABC reporter Jake Tapper found to be repulsive and inaccurate
From the Fact Check Desk: Obama’s New Spanish Language TV Ad Es Erróneo - ABC News

3) He has failed to disavow allies who toss out false accusations of racism like confetti against conservative opponents. Maybe lefty blogger Spencer Ackerman who urged "call them [random conservatives] racist" is beneath Obama's attention. But when Congresswoman Shelia Jackson-Lee does it, shouldn't he at least have some minions out there spreading the word that he's not on board with the race-baiting? But Obama doesn't do that.

4) In the latest twist, even his atty gen. Eric Holder is out there making accusations of racism (see today's thread by insightful poster KUchief25). Now with the 'Fast and Furious' scandal boiling, you can't tell me that Holder is not in close daily contact with Obama. Everything he says must have the Obama stamp of approval. That makes Holder's statment especially sad.

In conclusion, I see Pres Obama's record as mixed. He's done some things amazingly right, but in many ways has been a big disappointment. What do you say?
What do i say?

I say that there is a fairly large contingent of Conservatives that can't be satisfied with his seemingly nonchalant attitude towards race relations unless he does this:

1. Tap Dance
2. Shoe Shine
3. Head Scratch
4. Shuffle his feet
5. Do a good Stepin Fetchit routine
6. Say Yassuh at the end of every sentence
7. Put down black people every chance he gets

In other words, he couldn't do anything right on race no matter what he does unless he does some combination of what i enumerated above.

So...whatever. It's a lose/lose regardless.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:34 AM

7,475 posts, read 20,224,177 times
obama has set race relations back at least 100 years...

Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
obama has set race relations back at least 100 years...
I get it, Steven Colbert. right right.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What do i say?

I say that there is a fairly large contingent of Conservatives that can't be satisfied with his seemingly nonchalant attitude towards race relations unless he does this:

1. Tap Dance
2. Shoe Shine
3. Head Scratch
4. Shuffle his feet
5. Do a good Stepin Fetchit routine
6. Say Yassuh at the end of every sentence
7. Put down black people every chance he gets

In other words, he couldn't do anything right on race no matter what he does unless he does some combination of what i enumerated above.

So...whatever. It's a lose/lose regardless.
Wild imagination! Can you give one example of where a conservative has called for any of your 7 points? Waiting with 'baiting' (misspelling intentional) breath.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Wild imagination! Can you give one example of where a conservative has called for any of your 7 points? .
Like anyone, conservative or liberal would admit that. A liberal member on here made a race baiting thread and started with the line "before you accuse me of being racist"

Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Like anyone, conservative or liberal would admit that. A liberal member on here made a race baiting thread and started with the line "before you accuse me of being racist"
I'm not necessarily asking for an admission. Just a shred of evidence for the assertion made by DD. BTW wasn't DD the poster who said that the use of the words 'urban center' was racist? I can't remember 100%, but I'm pretty sure it was he/she who made that post.

Last edited by wutitiz; 12-20-2011 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies