Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 03:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Can you show that anyone was denied their right to vote in this incident?
Who knows ? Intimidation is a form of voter suppression.
Who knows if anyone saw them and turned around and walked away...who really knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 03:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I hope Holder is successful. This is clearly one part an agenda of Republican voter suppression. In the seminal case on voter ID laws Crawford v Marion County Election Board the proponents of voter ID laws could not site even one single prosecution for in person voter fraud in the entire state of Indiana. Not even one single case! In the state of Wisconsin shortly after passing a voter ID law the GOP in the legislature opted to close down a fair amount of DMV offices in Democratic areas, surprise, surprise. This is simply a scaremonger technique to try to stop legal voters from casting ballots that might endanger Republican candidates. The only reason these laws contain free ID provisions is not to help people vote, but rather to prevent this sham legislation from being declared unconstitutional as a violation of the 24th amendment. I am thrilled that my state's governor had the good sense to veto this piece of garbage the moment she got it.
Do you people at the Law school think he can ram this one through the Supreme Court before November 2012? If not the main reason for worrying will be over by the time they take it up. I just wonder how you think it can be handled.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:53 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Debunking Misinformation on Photo ID | Brennan Center for Justice

In 2006, the Brennan Center published the results of a telephone survey conducted by the Opinion Research Corporation (ORC), an independent market research firm, on the number of voting-age Americans who have government-issued photo ID and proof of citizenship. 11% of all respondents to that survey did not have ready access to government-issued photo ID; the percentages of those without ID were even higher for certain demographic groups.
What is more, Kobach fails to note that the Brennan Center’s findings are consistent with every independent study we have identified before and since:
  • The 2001 Carter-Ford Commission on Election Reform found that between 6-11 percent of voting-age citizens lack driver’s license or alternate state-issued photo ID.

• A 2007 Indiana survey found that roughly 13 percent of registered Indiana voters lack an Indiana driver’s license or an alternate Indiana-issued photo ID.
  • In a 2009 study in Indiana, Professors Matt Barreto, Stephen Nuño, and Gabriel Sanchez found that election restrictions like voter ID laws have the greatest impact on the elderly, racial and ethnic minorities, immigrants, those with less educational attainment and lower incomes. The professors found that of the citizen adult population, 81.4% of all white eligible adults had access to a driver’s license, whereas only 55.2% of black eligible adults had the same access. Indeed, study after study has similarly concluded that burdens to voting have a large and disparate impact on individuals with fewer resources, less education, smaller social networks, and those who are institutionally isolated.
  • The 2007 study, Voter ID Requirements and the Disenfranchisement of Latino, Black, and Asian Voters, based on exit polls from the 2006 elections in California, New Mexico, and Washington State, found that minority voters are less likely than whites to be able to present photo identification.

• Many citizens who believe they have valid and sufficient photo IDs often do not. A national survey (http://www.pewtrusts.org/uploadedFiles/wwwpewtrustsorg/Reports/Election_reform/Final%2520report20090218.pdf - broken link) conducted after the November 2008 election found that 95% of respondents claimed to have a driver’s license, but 16% of those respondents lacked a license that was both current and valid. So of the of Americans who possess a photo ID, many lack proper identification that would enable to them to vote in elections under the new laws passed in Wisconsin, Kansas, Texas, South Carolina, and under legislation pending in many more states.

• Additional studies and research findings on voter ID are collected here.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
in 2004 I voted twice. Once in Massachusetts and once in NH
I believe you and yet Carry lost, didn't he?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:57 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you ever have to provide any kind of ID to maybe cash a check or anything other than voting or driving? I think most of us do get to do that.
I did when I applied for SS. I never cash checks. Only deposit. I refuse to make a trip to Omaha to cash a check. My pension is direct deposit. I needed my ID when I needed a notary. I don't drink or smoke. I can't even remember the last time I ever recieved a check from someone.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Nothing in the linked article states that Holder wants to do away with state laws requiring ID's. That's a surmise of the OP who is openly biased.

As attorney general, it's part of Holder's job to scrutinize laws that can be abused to discriminate against certain segments of society.

Laws requiring ID or qualifications to vote have a long and sordid history of being used to discriminate against certain segments of society.

The fact that the majority of Americans are oblivious to potential problems with voter ID laws does not negate the US Attorney General's obligation to be aware of those potential problems and to do whatever is necessary to assure that US citizens' right to vote is not abridged.
Please read and intrepret for me these words that are the beginning of that article.

Attorney General Eric Holder signaled last week that the Justice Department will be closely examining new state laws that require showing a photo ID before voting for potential racial bias,

Now that you have read these words and readily admit to being somewhere in the 31% of people who think as you do, what do those words say? It seems to me like Holder is calling the 69% of us racially biased. Do you see that?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Absolutly nothing
Read the first four or five lines in the article. Always read before you draw or you may shoot your foot off.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Please read and intrepret for me these words that are the beginning of that article.

Attorney General Eric Holder signaled last week that the Justice Department will be closely examining new state laws that require showing a photo ID before voting for potential racial bias,

Now that you have read these words and readily admit to being somewhere in the 31% of people who think as you do, what do those words say? It seems to me like Holder is calling the 69% of us racially biased. Do you see that?
WILL BE CLOSELY EXAMINING. This does not equate to "wants to do away with."

I don't know what 31% you are consigning me to. It is my understanding that far more than 31% can read and have basic comprehension skills.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:07 PM

170 posts, read 362,076 times
Default the other side of that coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The end goal of these "reforms" are to disenfranchise the poor, who are less likely to have ID and/or won't bother to get it.
If they "don't have and won't get" then why would they bother to vote?
Unless of course some acorns or seiu types made them an offer they couldn't refuse: free lunch and an "impartial" ride to the polling place.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Google that.

Plenty of states offer FREE state IDs to those that qualify.
Even the homeless can get a free ID although I don't know how they handle the "home address" part.
I googled that question and found one or two arguments against anything like this although they were from far left blogs. Yep, these progs could easily find out things like this if they wanted to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies