Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 04:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
What Holder called for:

Welcome to the United States Department of Justice

Today, the single biggest barrier to voting in this country is our antiquated registration system. According to the Census Bureau, of the 75 million adult citizens who failed to vote in the last presidential election, 60 million of them were not registered and, therefore, not eligible to cast a ballot.

All eligible citizens can and should be automatically registered to vote. The ability to vote is a right – it is not a privilege. Under our current system, many voters must follow cumbersome and needlessly complex voter registration rules. And every election season, state and local officials have to manually process a crush of new applications – most of them handwritten – leaving the system riddled with errors, and, too often, creating chaos at the polls.

Fortunately, modern technology provides a straightforward fix for these problems – if we have the political will to bring our election systems into the 21st century. It should be the government’s responsibility to automatically register citizens to vote, by compiling – from databases that already exist – a list of all eligible residents in each jurisdiction

It appears to me that you and Holder want the feds to handle elections while states pay for them and run them. Holder has to know better than what he says there about elections. Of course, he does play that race card many times each week.

How do you and he feel about illegal aliens voting? At least one mayor on the east coast thinks they should vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 04:14 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Please read and intrepret for me these words that are the beginning of that article.

Attorney General Eric Holder signaled last week that the Justice Department will be closely examining new state laws that require showing a photo ID before voting for potential racial bias,

Now that you have read these words and readily admit to being somewhere in the 31% of people who think as you do, what do those words say? It seems to me like Holder is calling the 69% of us racially biased. Do you see that?
It seems to me that Holder is doing his job.

Voting Rights Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Section 5 - Preclearance

Section 5 of the Act requires that the United States Department of Justice, through an administrative procedure, or a three-judge panel of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, through a declaratory judgment action "preclear" any attempt to change “any voting qualification or prerequisite to voting, or standard, practice, or procedure with respect to voting..." in any "covered jurisdiction."

Old 12-20-2011, 04:14 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
You never cash a check?
They are Liberal Democrats, of course not, they would have to work first...

Old 12-20-2011, 04:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
republicans dont care about honest and fair elections. wake up. its a pure political play with the changing demos. they know who has id and who doesnt.

both parties play the game.

there was a great article about a white senior in wisconsin who will have to pay essentially a poll tax to vote, since they didnt record home births in the 20's in wisconsin
Poor old lady is 97 years old right now. She would have to prove mental stability if some of the people who write here got their way about how to deal with ooooold people.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:16 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Google that.

Plenty of states offer FREE state IDs to those that qualify.
Even the homeless can get a free ID although I don't know how they handle the "home address" part.
That's me!!! If you look at my driver's license, my home address is our License plate #.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:23 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Where are they needed and why? Get a clue Roy, on what the voter suppression is about. Or is it that you agree, "them people don't know how to vote right".
I keep hearing the number of ILLEGALS is around 12 million maybe we can stop a few from voting attempting to vote.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:25 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
in 2004 I voted twice. Once in Massachusetts and once in NH
have been told by many people that live in northern statesand have property in Florida that they have voted in both states.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It appears to me that you and Holder want the feds to handle elections while states pay for them and run them. Holder has to know better than what he says there about elections. Of course, he does play that race card many times each week.

How do you and he feel about illegal aliens voting? At least one mayor on the east coast thinks they should vote.
Where did he say that he wanted the Feds to handle elections, I didn't see that in his proposal?

Until I read his speech I had never heard of the the concept of the states automatically registering citizens. I think it may have more merit than the current process which lends it self to official and unofficial manipulation by individuals from the party currently in power.

No I'm not in favor of non-Citizens voting, which I don't believe is occurring in any substantial way. I also don't believe that requiring a photo id to vote will prevent a determined non-Citizen from voting. Fake ids are rampant in many parts of this country.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:30 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
have been told by many people that live in northern statesand have property in Florida that they have voted in both states.
Wow.. as a legal FL resident that surprises me. When we became Floridian (even though we didn't own real estate there at the time... we didn't own real estate anywhere at that time for the matter) we couldn't get our voters registration until we had a FL drivers license, which we couldn't get until we turned in the driver's license from what had been our home state....

Old 12-20-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
How would these new ID requirements alter that situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies