Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times

Advertisements

Found this article saying that Bank of America's Countrywide unit will pay $335 million over loan-discrimination claims.

But looking through the article, I haven't found where ANYONE identifies what Countrywide did that was discriminatory. Can someone help me out here? This is part of the article. The rest can be read at the URL cited.

It says in a few places that they did racial discrimination, and then goes on about how terrible racial discrimination is for the country. But I don't see any examples, or even any attempts to provide any, or even say any actually exist. In one place it says Countrywide's officers were free "to differ a loan’s interest rates and other fees". And then it says this opens the door to discrimination. And that's the closest it comes to actually saying anybody did something wrong.

Well, offering loans at all, "opens the door" to discrimination, doesn't it? Running a restaurant "opens the door to racial discrimination". Any service that anybody provides to the public, of any nature, "opens the door to racial discrimination". Even if the person doing it isn't doing any racial discrimination to anyone, never has, and never will. Of course the door is open. It's called "freedom", and any freedom can be abused. But was the freedom to set rates for loans, abused on racial grounds here?

Where is the slightest evidence that ANYONE was steered to a sub-prime mortgage loan because he was black or Hispanic, instead of the fact that his income was lower than standard practices called for? Or his past repayment record too delinquent? Or his down payment was too low (or was zero)?

Where is a study saying something like, "Of all the people with such-and-such marginal qualifications, 80% of the marginal white applicants received non-sub-prime loans while 70% of the marginal black applicants, with identical qualifications, were told that they could only get sub-prime loans with worse terms"?

Maybe the evidence it there. If so, this article does an excellent job of hiding it. Wouldn't such evidence or studies be the FIRST thing the author made sure to bring out?

--------------------------------------------------------

Countrywide to Pay $335M Over Discrimination Case | Fox Business

Countrywide to Pay $335M Over Discrimination Case

Written By Matt Egan
Published December 21, 2011
FOXBusiness

Bank of America’s (BAC: 5.23, +0.06, +1.16%) Countrywide Financial unit agreed on Wednesday to pay $335 million to settle allegations it discriminated against minority homebuyers by steering them toward dangerous subprime mortgages.

According to the Department of Justice, it marks the largest residential fair lending settlement in history.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-22-2011 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Took me 5 minutes to find.

"The complaint alleges that these borrowers were charged higher fees and interest rates because of their race or national origin, and not because of the borrowers’ creditworthiness or other objective criteria related to borrower risk."

Welcome to the United States Department of Justice

Old 12-21-2011, 06:36 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Of course the complaint alleges that. So does the article.

And the details of WHY they think it was race and not just financal characteristics are....??

P.S. What took you 5 minutes?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:54 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Found this article saying that Bank of America's Countrywide unit will pay $335 million over loan-discrimination claims.

But looking through the article, I haven't found where ANYONE identifies what Countrywide did that was discriminatory. Can someone help me out here? This is part of the article. The rest can be read at the URL cited.

It says in a few places that they did racial discrimination, and then goes on about how terrible racial discrimination is for the country. But I don't see any examples, or even any attempts to provide any, or even say any actually exist. In one place it says Countrywide's officers were free "to differ a loan’s interest rates and other fees". And then it says this opens the door to discrimination. And that's the closest it comes to actually saying anybody did something wrong.

Well, offering loans at all, "opens the door" to discrimination, doesn't it? Running a restaurant "opens the door to racial discrimination". Any service that anybody provides to the public, of any nature, "opens the door to racial discrimination". Even if the person doing it isn't doing any racial discrimination to anyone, never has, and never will. Of course the door is open. It's called "freedom", and any freedom can be abused. But was the freedom to set rates for loans, abused on racial grounds here?

Where is the slightest evidence that ANYONE was steered to a sub-prime mortgage loan because he was black or Hispanic, instead of the fact that his income was lower than standard practices called for? Or his past repayment record too delinquent? Or his down payment was too low (or was zero)?

Where is a study saying something like, "Of all the people with such-and-such marginal qualifications, 80% of the marginal white applicants received non-sub-prime loans while 70% of the marginal black applicants, with identical qualifications, were told that they could only get sub-prime loans with worse terms"?

Maybe the evidence it there. If so, this article does an excellent job of hiding it. Wouldn't such evidence or studies be the FIRST thing the author made sure to bring out?

--------------------------------------------------------

Countrywide to Pay $335M Over Discrimination Case | Fox Business

Countrywide to Pay $335M Over Discrimination Case

Written By Matt Egan
Published December 21, 2011
FOXBusiness

Bank of America’s (BAC: 5.23, +0.06, +1.16%) Countrywide Financial unit agreed on Wednesday to pay $335 million to settle allegations it discriminated against minority homebuyers by steering them toward dangerous subprime mortgages.

According to the Department of Justice, it marks the largest residential fair lending settlement in history. Covering actions between 2004 and 2008, the settlement offers financial compensation to more than 200,000 qualified borrowers who were charged higher fees or given subprime loans because of their race, not because of their creditworthiness, the government said.

"The department's action against Countrywide makes clear that we will not hesitate to hold financial institutions accountable, including one of the nation's largest, for lending discrimination," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement. "These institutions should make judgments based on applicants' creditworthiness, not on the color of their skin.â€

After tumbling below the $5 threshold earlier this week for the first time since March 2009, BofA’s shares were recently up 0.68% at $5.21.

BofA said it is committed to fair and equal treatment of all customers and it will continue resolving remaining Countrywide issues, Dow Jones Newswires reported.

The DOJ said Countrywide’s business practices permitted its loan officers and mortgage brokers to differ a loan’s interest rates and other fees, opening the door to unfair pricing discretion based on race. The government accuses Countrywide of being aware of this discrimination, but failing to impose meaningful limits or guidelines to stop it.

Subprime loans are considered more dangerous because they often include prepayment penalties and exploding adjustable interest rates. These mortgages are believed to have helped cause the mortgage crisis and ensuing recession.

“Countrywide’s actions contributed to the housing crisis, hurt entire communities, and denied families access to the American dream,†said Thomas Perez, assistant Attorney General for the DOJ’s civil rights division. “We are using every tool in our law enforcement arsenal, including some that were dormant for years, to go after institutions of all sizes that discriminated against families solely because of their race or national origin.â€

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Maybe black people (and women) could grow a pair and learn to negotiate.

My current business is automotive repair and I'll definitely hammer you on the price of service if all you know how to say is "yes".

The truth is I'm in a very weak bargaining position and surrounded by competition who will be happy to supply the same or better service for less money.

When I stand on my price, it's a bluff which I am in no position to back up.

Women rarely ch allege me on price and blacks are just as reluctant to walk on me.

On the other hand, Indians and Jews typically get work done for half the price of other people because they negotiate effectively.

They call me on my bluff and reap the rewards.

Tough crap if you don't have the nads to bargain with a banker.

I refused the first offer I was made on my first mortgage and they lowered the interest rate.

Why can't black people do the same thing?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:54 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
So has the racial angle to the U.S financial meltdown been under reported? This would be an example of how racism through deliberate racist lending practices has hurt the whole country.

This provides more details on this:

How Racism Contributed To The Financial Meltdown - YouTube

Old 12-22-2011, 10:58 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Of course its "racism" and its no surprise that this "settlement" was reached during election season. Afterall, it's an election year for a half-black President, so everything will be tilted towards race. It's the only life raft available on the Sinking Titanic known as the Failed Obama Presidency.

And I agree with the OP, i'd like to see some examples. "Alleges" is not an example. It's an allegation.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:00 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Maybe black people (and women) could grow a pair and learn to negotiate.
We can see the need for people knowing how to negotiate but you still can't overlook that Black-Americans and Latinos were delibertly steered into subprime loans which led to the financial meltdown. Most of the blame needs to be put on Countrywide for this predatory lending.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:02 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Of course the complaint alleges that.
A since it was a settlement and wasn't adjudicated the language "alleged" may well have been part of the agreement.

Quote:
P.S. What took you 5 minutes?
Reading, it keeps me from asking stupid questions like:

"And the details of WHY they think it was race and not just financal characteristics are....??"

http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/hce...rywidecomp.pdf

The bottom of the news release explains that the above complaint is available on the website, but that would have required taking 5 minutes to read the entire release.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:03 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,223 times
Bank of America is a branch of the US government. It's kind of like US vs. USDA.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:06 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
i have yet to see a good explanation of how one gets "steered" into a mortgage. if someone told me I could afford a $700,000 house I'd ask "okay, what's the monthly payment on that?" and come to a conclusion that either I can afford it or can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies