Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:12 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,108,777 times

Advertisements

I no longer watch Maher....not because of his rants against conservatives....but because he seems to really have a hate/anger problem within himself. I have thick skin, so his politics don't bother me. I just find that he's a foul individual with a chip on his shoulder. I don't associate with people like him in real life, why in the world would I give him a viewership ratings boost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 AM

1,329 posts, read 831,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
There is nothing wrong with people getting welfare and working for it...If anything takes away 'dignity', it is receiving something for NOTHING. Where is the sense of accomplishment? Where is the sense of making your own way?? How can people feel good about having their neighbors pay their way involuntarily??

Dignity is getting a handout?? What the hell school of common sense did you attend??
Why is "making your own way" a worthy value? You are assuming that a libertarian ethic is intrinsic to human nature and is what makes us feel fulfilled, when I think in fact human beings are social beings and our politics should reflect this.

"Receiving something for nothing" is something that happens all the time, is it a bad thing? I think not. It doesn't automaticly lead to a feeling of entitlement, especially if people are aware of the contingencies involved. On the other hand, the idea that people always earn the money they get from work in a capitalist economy, can be a kind of delusion that obscures those contingencies.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,645,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I've never noticed your postings to have much of a sense of satire or irony in them....probably why you dont get Maher.

Sure. I am incapable of appreciating satire, as I am obtuse. Satire is subtle and entertaining. Hateful, predictable rhetoric is not. This is not satire, it is a mean spirited, predictable diatribe by a man who hates Christianity, yet cannot understand the irony for his lack of condemnation of Islam and totalitarianism. I hope that you can appreciate that.

I am intrigued by the dull witted who "appreciate" Maher's humor, as it is just as subtle as "The Three Stooges". It is not intelligent, clever, or insightful at all. I guess for those who like physical humor, it is probably entertaining. I, for one, have never found Chevy Chase tripping to be funny, nor is Bill Maher funny. Even though he is a lib, John Stewart is actually entertaining, as he is more understated and clever.

Again, I wonder if Maher will start a routine about Mohammed at Rhamadan? Of course not. That would be offensive.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,973,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Sure. I am incapable of appreciating satire, as I am obtuse. Satire is subtle and entertaining. Hateful, predictable rhetoric is not. This is not satire, it is a mean spirited, predictable diatribe by a man who hates Christianity, yet cannot understand the irony for his lack of condemnation of Islam and totalitarianism. I hope that you can appreciate that.

I am intrigued by the dull witted who "appreciate" Maher's humor, as it is just as subtle as "The Three Stooges". It is not intelligent, clever, or insightful at all. I guess for those who like physical humor, it is probably entertaining. I, for one, have never found Chevy Chase tripping to be funny, nor is Bill Maher funny. Even though he is a lib, John Stewart is actually entertaining, as he is more understated and clever.

Again, I wonder if Maher will start a routine about Mohammed at Rhamadan?
One does not have a sense of humor until one can laugh at all sides, not merely the ones that a person does not agree with.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 AM

58,923 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Why is "making your own way" a worthy value? You are assuming that a libertarian ethic is intrinsic to human nature and is what makes us feel fulfilled, when I think in fact human beings are social beings and our politics should reflect this.

"Receiving something for nothing" is something that happens all the time, is it a bad thing? I think not. It doesn't automaticly lead to a feeling of entitlement, especially if people are aware of the contingencies involved. On the other hand, the idea that people always earn the money they get from work in a capitalist economy, can be a kind of delusion that obscures those contingencies.
""Receiving something for nothing" is something that happens all the time, is it a bad thing?". No it isn't a bad thing. Making your LIVING that way is a bad thing.

Gov't welfare programs are supposed to give a helping hand, not a lifestyle.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:35 AM

24,384 posts, read 23,035,605 times
Maher makes a sloppy attempt at weak humor and fails. You could just as easily say Scrooge was a liberal. He did nothing for others and expected that paying his taxes was enough, what social programs they had then would accomodate the poor. he was against burning coal. he didn't believe in the afterlife or religion. He didn't like Christmas as a holiday. He seemed to be against marriage. he didn't like his father. He seemed to have a disregard for human life and would probably have been pro abortion as a " means of reducing the surplus population".
Maher is a misanthrope whos quick to cherry pick sound bites to suit his views but comes across as very hypocritical.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:41 AM

1,187 posts, read 994,626 times
People still watch this hack?

Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,650,741 times
Bill Maher has never been funny and never will be.

I have a serious problem with a guy who thinks that religion is bad but illegal drugs are good.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,470,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I wonder why Maher never attacks Islam?
I wonder why you would write something so outrageously false?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,645,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
One does not have a sense of humor until one can laugh at all sides, not merely the ones that a person does not agree with.

Right. Did you think that the Holocaust was funny?

I CAN laugh at political satire directed toward the right. Again, I think that John Stewart IS FUNNY. However, hateful, angry rhetoric is not funny. It is tiresome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies