Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What ever happened to old Baghdad Bob? He was hilarious.
Florida. bob is nearly as funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
$40 for me means cutting back another doctor's appointment. Maybe my psychiatrist, since I already had to cut out my therapist. I should be seeing a therapist weekly in order to dial down the number of meds I'm on, but it's cheaper to medicate than actually deal with the fallout from having cancer at a young age. The next to go is my oncologist, and even then I'm stretching out the time in between appointments more than he would like. Or it means doing another load of laundry in my bathtub. I already do quite a bit of the wash there.

No cable, A/C, flat screen tv, or even heat half the time here. The only reason I have a cell phone is because I'm on the family plan - and my cell phone is my only phone. I don't have a landline at home. I have a car because I needed transportation during chemo - before then, I was walking a mile to public transportation. My food budget doesn't stretch beyond rice, beans, and pasta. Occasionally buy meat on sale... fresh fruits and veggies are a foreign term at this point.

Please don't think you understand the working poor until you've been there and have to make the decisions that some of us have to make.
Not trying to be a nasty man or funny at all but which of those things did you have to do without before they cut back on what you paid into Social Security about a year ago. Of course, many don't understand that they have had that money taken from their withholding and it really isn't paid to them. I am sure that most of those who are so hot under the collar about this one don't understand that the Dems only want them to keep this for two months while the Congress argues about it another 2 months and that the GOP is extending a full year of the same thing we have had. It is too bad that so many just haven't understood what is going on yet.

Yep, I now about the pipeline being offered in order to get the one year extension but so few mention that part. Obama and group aren't offering anything but a chance to see the Congress argue about it every two months. Hell, Obama wants the year but he has tied himself to the 60 days he is unable to escape it all.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
If the guys "CABLE" bill is 49 a month, then he cuts out cable service. Cable is not a necessity. OR in this "F'd" up Obama administration has cable become a "right".....like the lady that wants Obama to pay for her car and her gas?
The part of all this is that people don't collect any money they just don't have to pay their Social Security tax. I think that many on the left fail to see what is going on here.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Lets see...we're talking about a 2% difference in tax collection with the bill. I keep hearing $20 a week tossed about. For someone to see an extra $20 a week, that means their gross pay is $1000 per week, or $25 per hour assuming a 40 hour work week. Is $20 a week really that much of a difference to someone making $52k per year? In practice the difference is even less...that $20 a week that went to SS and Medicare is now subject to federal and state income tax, at lets say a combined marginal tax rate of 40%. Which means this magical extra $20 is really only $12. Heck, that's barely a 12 pack of cheap beer...
Politicians don't bother telling the truth when they are trying to stab the other party. It is too bad we have allowed all this to happen but it is there, like it or not. I don't buy beer but my sons don't worry about expensive, they drink Coors Light and nothing else and it is not cheap.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
They need to save it for their retirement, since it's coming out of SS.
But they say they need it to buy pizza, cable and other things that they could live a long time without.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:48 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
I'm want the longest break possible. At least I get to enjoy SOME of my Social Security tax money! Lord knows it won't be around when I retire!

Old 12-22-2011, 03:49 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
But they say they need it to buy pizza, cable and other things that they could live a long time without.
Yes, and that stimulates the economy. Keeps the pizza store open, and all the employees there working. The cable company profits and hires more staff.

Look at the bigger picture!

Old 12-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Yes, and that stimulates the economy. Keeps the pizza store open, and all the employees there working. The cable company profits and hires more staff.

Look at the bigger picture!
One family doesn't make a lot of difference in how many people work at the pizzeria and one taxpayer not being able to keep his cable won't help many people with their jobs. Now I don't know how many times Obama has received those excuses but he jacked up the number from 1000 in early reports to 2000 per hour. It is all Pelosi as far as I can see.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I'm want the longest break possible. At least I get to enjoy SOME of my Social Security tax money! Lord knows it won't be around when I retire!
SS could have been quite well off now if the Congress hadn't spent over $3 trillion of SS taxes they collected. Since we just went into the red with no surplus each year it seems to me that it could have lasted many years, darned sure past your need for it. Politicians lie every time they talk about a SS surplus and that they spent it legally.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Fugeddabout it, roys. It's all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies