Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 02:48 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
You're only as informed as your information sources are honest. And I don't care if you own a CFL manufacturing company. Your comments expose you as nothing remotely close to an "expert" whatever your occupation is.

Mercury vapor released from broken compact fluorescent light bulbs can exceed safe exposure levels for humans, study finds

This same type of inane "logic" has been repeatedly used in the debate over mercury in vaccines ... with the common claim being that there is more mercury in a can of tuna fish than there is in a flu shot. The problem with this type of "Three Stooges"analogies, it only works on the simple minded who don't know any better .... like the real basic idea that no one is injecting cans of tuna into their blood streams .... and the type of mercury ingested from tuna (methyl) versus the type in vaccines (ethyl) are not the same either.

This applies to your analogies about amounts of mercury in thermostats compared to CFLS. The reality is, neither one poses a threat if contained. The problem is when something is broken and releases that mercury. In the case of liquid mercury, you can see it, and clean it, and would only represent a threat if you touch it. In the case of the CFL, mercury is released in the form of V-A-P-O-R which can be easily inhaled, offering exponentially higher levels of mercury exposure that you just wouldn't get unless you literally did ingest (or lick) the liquid mercury. And even then, the body metabolizes things differently. Ingested substances go through the digest system, while inhaled substances bypass that, and go directly into the blood stream though tissue.

An analogy showing what should be outwardly obvious ..... Squalene is an oil that comes from many sources, and is naturally found in the body. Olive Oil is one such source, and is healthy. It's also used topically. But ... squalene has been shown to be extremely harmful when used as an adjunct in vaccines,causing autoimmune response in many people that can be crippling. So it would be ludicrous to suggest that inhaling something and ingesting that same something and directly administering that same something into the blood stream can be considered equivalent. It's asinine.

So your analogy is BACKWARD. Don't you feel silly now? Of course you don't.
Mercury poisoning is listed as a "rare disease" by the Office of Rare Diseases (ORD) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This means that Mercury poisoning, or a subtype of Mercury poisoning, affects less than 200,000 people in the US population.

Prevalence and Incidence of Mercury poisoning - RightDiagnosis.com

Because CFLs contain mercury they should be recycled instead of thrown in the normal trash. However, even if a relatively large number of CFLs are disposed of in landfills instead of being recycled, they will not significantly increase the amount of mercury in the waste stream.* A report titled Mercury Programme, published by the United Nations Environmental Programme, estimated that in 2000 there were 145 metric tons of mercury added to the solid waste stream in the United States.* If 200 million CFLs, each containing 5*mg of mercury were placed in the solid waste stream in one year, they would add only 1 metric ton, or less than 0.7% of the total annual mercury load in the waste stream.

CFL Facts and Myths

Of course you do know they make many CFL bulbs that are enclosed in a plastic shell so that it looks like a regular incandescent light bulb for decorative purposes if you want to stop feeling like you should jump off a cliff every time you see a swirly bulb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 05:26 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Off grid is not the same as without power. Plenty of people use a combination of solar, wind, and batteries to generate and store electricity. In modern context, off grid refers to off the public power grid.

Most new solar installs today are grid-tied, and people are using it to net-meter or augment the grid.

Sewer, water and gas are another matter. We have some friends with a summer cabin. There is no electricity or water/sewer service. There is actually natural gas because the Forrest Service ran a line years ago. The area is remote. They have a small natural gas generator for electric, but no water. They haul water up in a trailer tank. Since its not a permanent residence it works.
"Off the grid" means no public utilities or services of any kind, including road access. You can have electrical power, water, septic, etc., and still be completely "off the grid." You are considered still on the grid if any public utility or service is being provided, including natural gas.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:59 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Mercury poisoning is listed as a "rare disease" by the Office of Rare Diseases (ORD) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This means that Mercury poisoning, or a subtype of Mercury poisoning, affects less than 200,000 people in the US population.

Prevalence and Incidence of Mercury poisoning - RightDiagnosis.com

Because CFLs contain mercury they should be recycled instead of thrown in the normal trash. However, even if a relatively large number of CFLs are disposed of in landfills instead of being recycled, they will not significantly increase the amount of mercury in the waste stream.* A report titled Mercury Programme, published by the United Nations Environmental Programme, estimated that in 2000 there were 145 metric tons of mercury added to the solid waste stream in the United States.* If 200 million CFLs, each containing 5*mg of mercury were placed in the solid waste stream in one year, they would add only 1 metric ton, or less than 0.7% of the total annual mercury load in the waste stream.
Maybe I just haven't stated my case very clearly. So let me put it this way .... you apparently accept these "Official" agencies like the EPA, FDA, CDC, NIH, and the United Nations, etc. as representing honest, trustworthy sources of information that are the be all, end all authorities on the subject matter they cover. I DON'T. In fact, they are the exact opposite of trustworthy, and anyone not living under a rock or residing on another planet should be aware of how many times these agencies have been caught lying through their teeth regarding almost every topic they cover. There is simply no excuse for being unaware of these things in this modern age of information. No excuse whatsoever.

This naive trustworthiness placed in "official sources" is particularly applicable to this topic, since the entire reason for the switch to CFLs is a gigantic FRAUD. Apparently you are one of those hopelessly lost people who still believe that CO2 is a deadly pollutant, while Mercury (second only to Plutonium as one of the most toxic substances known to science) is just no big deal? Frankly, anyone who believed this BS to begin with was a few fries short of a happy meal. But now? After all of the information that has been uncovered proving the lies and manipulations, with the manipulators being forced to ADMIT their lies, people STILL believe this CO2 nonsense? This represents inexplicable, exasperating levels of ignorance.

So, it's not surprising that I would make such little headway here .... because at this point, I don't think that there is anything that anyone can say to people who believe this nonsense, that would help reacquaint them with fundamental freaking reality.

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 12-24-2011 at 08:08 AM..

Old 12-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Maybe I just haven't stated my case very clearly. So let me put it this way .... you apparently accept these "Official" agencies like the EPA, FDA, CDC, NIH, and the United Nations, etc. as representing honest, trustworthy sources of information that are the be all, end all authorities on the subject matter they cover. I DON'T. In fact, they are the exact opposite of trustworthy, and anyone not living under a rock or residing on another planet should be aware of how many times these agencies have been caught lying through their teeth regarding almost every topic they cover. There is simply no excuse for being unaware of these things in this modern age of information. No excuse whatsoever.

This naive trustworthiness placed in "official sources" is particularly applicable to this topic, since the entire reason for the switch to CFLs is a gigantic FRAUD. Apparently you are one of those hopelessly lost people who still believe that CO2 is a deadly pollutant, while Mercury (second only to Plutonium as one of the most toxic substances known to science) is just no big deal? Frankly, anyone who believed this BS to begin with was a few fries short of a happy meal. But now? After all of the information that has been uncovered proving the lies and manipulations, with the manipulators being forced to ADMIT their lies, people STILL believe this CO2 nonsense? This represents inexplicable, exasperating levels of ignorance.

So, it's not surprising that I would make such little headway here .... because at this point, I don't think that there is anything that anyone can say to people who believe this nonsense, that would help reacquaint them with fundamental freaking reality.
Blah, blah, blah...

Housing units, 2010- 131,704,730

1 CFL per house would equal to 6.19 billion watts per month that doesn't have to be used so that you can jump off your roof at night and see where you're going to land.

57% of the nation's power comes from coal.

Quote:
Coal-fired power plants contribute only a small part of the total worldwide emissions of mercury. The estimated 48 tons of mercury they emit annually is about one-third of the total amount of mercury released annually by human activities in the United States.
On February 14, 2002, the Bush Administration announced its Clear Skies Initiative for multipollutant controls. The proposal required significant emission reductions of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and mercury through an allowance-based cap-and-trade program. Specifically for mercury, the Clear Skies Initiative calls for a two-phase reduction in emissions below 1999 levels (48 tons) with an approximate 45 percent reduction beginning in 2010 and a 70 percent reduction beginning in 2018.
DOE - Fossil Energy: Mercury Emission Control R&D

I guess you can be obtuse and ignore all the engineering data and studies that have been done but in doing so you'll have to present your own studies (peer reviewed of course) if you're going to try and speak with some sort of authority on the subject. So far you've presented nothing but some obscure tin-foiled coo-coo websites all the typical locked in a basement meme.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:33 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Blah, blah, blah...

DOE - Fossil Energy: Mercury Emission Control R&D

I guess you can be obtuse and ignore all the engineering data and studies that have been done but in doing so you'll have to present your own studies (peer reviewed of course) if you're going to try and speak with some sort of authority on the subject. So far you've presented nothing but some obscure tin-foiled coo-coo websites all the typical locked in a basement meme.
Suffice it to say (in case this might also escape you) that I classify the Department of Energy in the same category as all the rest.

And the Border Patrol who can't control the border ... and the DEA who are actually the biggest traffickers of illegal drugs ... and the ATF who are providing the weapons to the Mexican drug cartels ... and the Department of Education that has overseen the decline in Education, and the FDA that provides cover for the Pharmacological poisoning of the American Public, and the Congress, White House and Pentagon who claims that War=Peace.

I know .... blah, blah, blah.

Winston, you're a good little citizen ...

Best Wishes, and many thanks, George Orwell.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:38 AM

Merry Christmas! I sent you 10 boxes of 12 CFL's a piece. Please don't call Homeland Security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies