Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:30 PM

178 posts, read 267,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Want better teachers? Attract top talent by offering them more. If there's no financial incentive to be excellent, then you won't get excellence. It is what it is.
that would work if you fired every teacher and administrator, but good luck with that. therefore, you cant just throw money at a problem and expect it to work itself out. Thats common sense 101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:34 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambogojo View Post
that would work if you fired every teacher and administrator, but good luck with that. therefore, you cant just throw money at a problem and expect it to work itself out. Thats common sense 101
There are some bad teachers, particularly many female ones. Men tend to be more committed in the profession, for whatever reason. There's just more passion.

Too many female teachers do the bare minimum with their students. I remember back in school and in college. Male professors were of a much better caliber. Women have little passion in most fields which are not specifically designated for women. The drive is not there like it is in men, so many don't do the best job that they can do.

I'd say it's like this.

For every crappy male teacher/professor, there's three or four good ones.

For every crappy female teacher/professor, there's only one or two good ones.

As far as offering incentives. The problem is that not all students are the same. Many teachers can try until they're blue in the face, but if the parents of the students haven't taught discipline and respect, and if they haven't taught the value of an education, then there's very little the teacher can do to improve results. Thus, basing pay on merit, at the state or county level, and not on a cross-school basis, controlling for the differences in students in different locations, is wrong.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:38 PM

178 posts, read 267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
There are some bad teachers, particularly many female ones. Men tend to be more committed in the profession, for whatever reason. There's just more passion.

Too many female teachers do the bare minimum with their students. I remember back in school and in college. Male professors were of a much better caliber. Women have little passion in most fields which are not specifically designated for women. The drive is not there like it is in men, so many don't do the best job that they can do.

I'd say it's like this.

For every crappy male teacher/professor, there's three or four good ones.

For every crappy female teacher/professor, there's only one or two good ones.
well ironically enough, 2 of the 3 examples i mentioned were men...... sorry

Old 12-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
well ironically enough, 2 of the 3 examples i mentioned were men...... sorry
One can flip a coin and it land on heads ten times in a row. It happens.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:05 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
I was once told that it is a nightmare to try to "fire" a teacher. So, my guess is we actually have a whole bunch of great teachers and a whole bunch of bad teachers. Of course, like anything else, we only hear about the bad. Tenure, if you ask me is the problem. There are very few other jobs, especially these days where even if your extremely bad at your job you get to keep it. I agree.. teachers should be paid more.. but with that.. they should also be able to be fired if they don't perform!

Old 12-22-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I was once told that it is a nightmare to try to "fire" a teacher. So, my guess is we actually have a whole bunch of great teachers and a whole bunch of bad teachers. Of course, like anything else, we only hear about the bad. Tenure, if you ask me is the problem. There are very few other jobs, especially these days where even if your extremely bad at your job you get to keep it. I agree.. teachers should be paid more.. but with that.. they should also be able to be fired if they don't perform!
Not all states are like that. Most southern states don't make it as difficult for an incompetent teacher to be fired. Most midwestern and northeastern states do.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:27 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
I think teachers should be paid more only if they pay into their own health care and retirement like everyone else. sucking off everyone else's property taxes to the point that folks are loosing their homes not to the mortgage but the taxes is wrong. these unions need to be reigned in.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:33 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I think teachers should be paid more only if they pay into 1 their own health care and 2 retirement like everyone else. sucking off everyone else's property taxes to the point that folks are 3 loosing their homes not to the mortgage but the taxes is wrong. these unions need to be reigned in.

1 $325/pay period, limited to use of one chain pharmacy

2 8%/pay period. MD taxes retired pay for everyone but military enlisted retirees Sgt. and below.

3 where?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I think teachers should be paid more only if they pay into their own health care and retirement like everyone else. sucking off everyone else's property taxes to the point that folks are loosing their homes not to the mortgage but the taxes is wrong. these unions need to be reigned in.
Teachers do. My wife gets almost 9% taken out of her paycheck for retirement. I can't tell you how much is taken out for our insurance.

Quote:
I don't know if this exclusively pertains to my school, but almost every teacher complains (some openly, others not) that they do not get paid enough.

For the most part, they do not deserve what they get.

Ihave one teacher in my school that puts notes on a board, that he made roughly 20 years ago ( they are still on the overhead projector, in a school that has computer projectors in every class room) and just scrolls down the page when you ask. that's the curriculum

I have another teacher (who is actually quite brilliant) that has no homework assignments, And your grade solely depends on one test per quarter. That's OK for college students, not for freshmen in high school

I have yet a different teacher who's entire course is over a novel. you read a chapter and he gives you a test the next day. thats it

My problem with this is that many teachers (not all) are essentially overpaid babysitters. i understand they have to deal with bad kids all day, i understand that they have to go to meetings, I even understand that they put more work into their job than the students do (if they are doing a good job).
.........but that's why they get paid
and how things look at my school, its no wonder why Americans are not doing as well in education as other countries.
Could it be that in some countries, children are pushed harder by their parents than American children.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:46 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
1 maybe where you live 2-maybe where you live 3-my younger brother on LI can no longer pay 1200$ tax even with no mortgage and thats per month!! I pay 600 per year with no unions and good public services. he is moving out here asap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies