Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 03:58 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Nice try. I would wager it would make more sense to get the salary of someone who works in a daycare...if we're going to follow that nonsense line of thinking.
I agree, suggesting the minimum wage for a teacher is a nonsense line of thinking and it got exactly the reply it deserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 04:02 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,574 times
Teachers want higher salaries while an untold amount of parents are homeschooling their kids and having results that usually outshine, to FAR-outshine these salaried teachers.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:05 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,477,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Teachers want higher salaries while an untold amount of parents are homeschooling their kids and having results that usually outshine, to FAR-outshine these salaried teachers.
And if we got more talented teachers by offering higher pay, their kids wouldn't have to be homeschooled because they' getting a quality education in districts across the board.

You do realize teachers don't just collect a paycheck, don't you? We actually work for a living.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:10 PM

I have a couple of teachers in my extended family, and I homeschooled our daughters for many years and with great success.

A dear bro.-in-law of mine quit teaching after many years, and right after he was offered the Principal position because they, even in Texas have killed the love of doing it "the right way." He tired of having to "teach the test" and of all of the laborious record keeping that went up to the state level, and lastly of it getting so far away from the basics that he was sickened.

Yes, you work, we all work very hard. Money has not improved schools yet so sorry, but I can't say that more money will. Those that teach out of a passion for it obviously went into the profession not caring that they weren't going to become rich from it.

More money? I cannot buy it that teaching results will improve with it.

Especially now with teachers saying THIS, just this past March! OMG...

Thank God this is not ALL teachers, but...same time....here some are!

Union Teachers Explain How to Push Marxism in the Classroom - YouTube

Old 12-23-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I have a couple of teachers in my extended family, and I homeschooled our daughters for many years and with great success.

A dear bro.-in-law of mine quit teaching after many years, and right after he was offered the Principal position because they, even in Texas have killed the love of doing it "the right way." He tired of having to "teach the test" and of all of the laborious record keeping that went up to the state level, and lastly of it getting so far away from the basics that he was sickened.

Yes, you work, we all work very hard. Money has not improved schools yet so sorry, but I can't say that more money will. Those that teach out of a passion for it obviously went into the profession not caring that they weren't going to become rich from it.

More money? I cannot buy it that teaching results will improve with it.

Especially now with teachers saying THIS, just this past March! OMG...

Thank God this is not ALL teachers, but...same time....here some are!

Union Teachers Explain How to Push Marxism in the Classroom - YouTube
No, simply "throwing more money" at the problem won't solve the problem. Problems in public schools are complex and are as diverse as communities across the country. But that's not what I'm advocating. Of course schools need upgrades over the years, but again, most people are not so altruistic. Most will follow the money. What I'm saying is that you get what you pay for when it comes to teachers. Good ones will move on to greener pastures, and the ones left either stay because they LOVE it or just lack the ambition to look elsewhere.

As it stands right now, teaching is basically an entry level position in the education industry. It's what you do until you get your masters/Phd and go into administration, consulting etc. And I think there's something wrong with that. People should aspire to be teachers, not use it just to get their foot in the door.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:20 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,408,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hi, pommysmommy,

Out of curiosity, what did you like so much about your teachers growing up?

I think there will always be a mixture of good and mediocre (or even bad teachers). To which, I always say, "you get what you pay for" If you want to attract talented people then you have to pay them well. I'm personally fine with my pay, since I don't need a ton to make me happy, but it doesn't surprise me in the least that so many talented teachers leave for greener pastures. I mean, why teach science for 40,000 when you could work in scientific research for way more than that?

But I'm also very happy in my job. My passion for education and my desire to communicate that to students is what keeps me in it. If the politics doesn't get too bad in the coming years, I'll probably retire from my job in 30 years and be satisfied with my career choice.
I was schooled in DOD schools. My teachers were involved and not just there for a paycheck. Many of my teachers through the years were mentors. They cared about the students and took pride in teaching. This would be unheard of in this day and age but teachers, "back in the day" were allowed to take students on field trips without requiring a multitude of legal releases to be signed. I went to Greek dance classes with one teacher in my elementary years and I became involved in volunteering at an orphanage with another teacher in my freshman year. My teachers in highschool were always available and involved. They knew each one of us personally.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times
Quote:
Children who are home schooled enjoy the undivided attention of a parent (parents) who are heavily invested in their education. Public school students who share this advantage do as well, if not better, on standardized tests as their home schooled counterparts.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:24 PM

What you are writing sounds heartfelt. I bet you are one of the good ones! Heck, you're likely even one of the more rare, "golden" ones. God bless you for it, sincerely.

However, if we "get what we pay for" then why do I have memories of having two or three of the absolute "earthly-angel" type of teachers way back in the sixties and seventies? They were in South, Central Texas and not paid any higher then, than adjusted for the economies, teachers are paid today.

No, "something" about society and the world has changed and everything seems worse. We have more medicine and yet even more, percentage-wise, Illness.

This elderly gentleman says something painfully, and brutally honest in this little, less than two minute clip. He's right....an agenda of radicalism, even of Subversion has slowly wormed its way into the universities where our teachers have been trained. I homeschooled for some of the reasons stated below.

Take Your Kids out Of Public School !! - YouTube

Old 12-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I was schooled in DOD schools. My teachers were involved and not just there for a paycheck. Many of my teachers through the years were mentors. They cared about the students and took pride in teaching. This would be unheard of in this day and age but teachers, "back in the day" were allowed to take students on field trips without requiring a multitude of legal releases to be signed. I went to Greek dance classes with one teacher in my elementary years and I became involved in volunteering at an orphanage with another teacher in my freshman year. My teachers in highschool were always available and involved. They knew each one of us personally.
Interesting points. I wish I could take my kids on field trips--but can't due to budget issues. Fortunately I'm able to know almost all of my kids--er...students--personally, but I think it was easier back in the day because teachers weren't as loaded with administrative duties. Hell, I hardly have time to give my kids decent feedback on assignments because I have to plan GOOD lessons, go to meetings (I'm the head of my department) and run extra curricular activities.

Of course I can always be better (all of us can) but if you talked to more teachers about this I think--no, I know--you'll find a ton of teachers that WANT to know their students personally and invest in them, but have a lot of trouble because of all the other hats they wear.

I'm not criticizing your post, but Just sayin'...

Old 12-23-2011, 04:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,408,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Please define "better" and "poorly educated". Also, when were you in high school?

Not being argumentative but I am curious.
Better means caring about the students and having the passion to teach. Poorly educated refers to teachers who don't know the subject matter. Teachers in El Paso don't seem to know the difference between Martin Luther and the Rev. Martin Luther King. It also refers to teachers who use poor grammer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies