Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 10:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

The "Hawaiian vacation" stories are likely a myth, too. Most medicaid fraud is perpetrated by providers, not the users.
No, it's not a myth and news reports have prompted many states to open investigations. You'd think the states would monitor usage and location and open their own investigations when odd spending starts to happen.

What..because you haven't read about it you conclude that it's "a myth" ? And that is why the fraud and abuse of these programs will continue...because too many people dismiss the stories as not true.

Missouri welfare benefits being spent in Hawaii | KMOV.com St. Louis
Texas investigates possible food stamp abuse | khou.com Houston
Investigation tracks local welfare money spent all over the country, including Vegas and Hawaii - NBCActionNews.com - Kansas City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 12:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^Two of those articles are about the Missouri situation; one about Texas. I'd like to see some evidence that this is a widespread issue. Supposedly, the Missouri officials were investigating. Do you have some follow-up?

Old 12-25-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
^^Two are those articles are about the Missouri situation; one about Texas. I'd like to see some evidence that this is a widespread issue. Supposedly, the Missouri officials were investigating. Do you have some follow-up?
You said it was a myth. I showed you where states, once presented with this data, said they would investigate. Now you want me to do legwork for you ?

Try google.com

Old 12-25-2011, 12:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You said it was a myth. I showed you where states, once presented with this data, said they would investigate. Now you want me to do legwork for you ?

Try google.com
All right! Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa! Is that good enough for you? I was wrong! I was wrong! I'll write it 100 times on here if you want. Merry Christmas to you too!

Old 12-25-2011, 01:04 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoflov1232 View Post
To lhpartridge: I agree with you and yes, I think Christians would step in. It might take a while but it would happen.
So,what if I'm a muslim who needs help and I knock on a church door?
Will they force me to pray like they do?

That's my only issue with faith based charities.
I remember years ago I wanted to get some free food from this church.
Before you got the food they required you to sit for the service,which I think was about an hour or two.

You can't help the needy and force your beliefs at the same time.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:14 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Before you got the food they required you to sit for the service,which I think was about an hour or two.

In life there is no such thing as a free lunch.. If all you had to do was to listen to a sermon to be fed, what is the harm? What was your cost? Did they force you to change your religious beliefs? Perhaps had you listened, you may have learned something about christianity and it may have changed your overall view of christians. Maybe if we all listened to one another a little bit more, we could bring a end to the violence.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Well why not? If Christians believe in charity and want to teach others the basis of that charity, why shouldn't they?

Old 12-25-2011, 03:53 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Federal spending on welfare is unconstitutional. This should be 100% a state and local issue.
1) Where in the constitution does it say that?

2) Are you saying social security is unconstitutional?

3) Then why does the federal government love to hand out trillions in welfare bailouts to GM and the too-big to fail private banks?

Old 12-25-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
All right! Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa! Is that good enough for you? I was wrong! I was wrong! I'll write it 100 times on here if you want. Merry Christmas to you too!
LOL..Merry Christmas back at ya and to your family as well Kat.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:00 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
My point is that it is silly to believe that private charities can do a better job than the government, not to mention the fact that the government has a moral and legal responsibility to safeguard the welfare of its citizens. Otherwise, it has no right to exist.
I have yet to see welfare helping the truly needy. I only see them helping women who have had five kids with four or five different dads. Our entitlement system rewards the lazy and irresponsible while neglecting the hardworking people who are just simply "down on their luck." Then, if the "welfare queen" decides she wants to get her life together and make something of herself, she loses benefits. I actually knew one woman who didn't want to be on welfare anymore. She lost all benefits the day she started working a low paying job to support three kids.

Case in point, let's say you are single, have diabetes, and lose your job. Medicaid won't help you because you refused to get yourself or someone else knocked up. Let's say you are a married couple with children who has fallen on hard times due to the economy. Welfare won't help you either because you got married. Or let's say you are married couple who doesn't have kids. Again, welfare won't help you either. These folks should be thankful for private charities because private charities are the only places that will help the truly needy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies