U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:46 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,529,748 times

Advertisements

I guess the only good thing about severe poverty, is that I am safe. I don't go to malls, and I don't get $200 shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 10:47 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,803,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
BS. Neither you or anyone else here has any proof that any of these people are criminals or on welfare. You only use your own ignorance to assume these things, and I have no tolerance for people who think they know everything.

I used to be a stupid teenager who would wait outside for these shoes, and most of the people who show up are merely sneaker aficionados from middle class backgrounds. Real thugs aren't going to wait in line for anything; they'd rather just rob them from someone else later. It's sad but true.

And people who would wait in line for a new cell phone or TV are just as stupid as people who wait in line for shoes. Neither are good investments, but just material items that we don't need to survive.
I don't think I said these are welfare people per se. Yet if these are middle class black people shoving, fighting, shooting guns and stepping over toddlers for shoes than the problems in the Black community are more severe than I thought.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:50 AM

86,093 posts, read 70,010,089 times
For people at the lower end of the economic scale, REGARDLESS OF SKIN COLOR, materialistic items means alot to them. The appearance of having money is what they care about.

Me, I'd rather appear as "plain jane" and have a bulging bank account instead

Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 AM

2,058 posts, read 4,317,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
For people at the lower end of the economic scale, REGARDLESS OF SKIN COLOR, materialistic items means alot to them. The appearance of having money is what they care about.
Bull....materialism cuts thru all socio-economic classes. Actually, the super rich/upper class and upper middle classes are more materialist than the lower classes. They are the ones buying million-dollar homes, diamonds, luxury cars, expensive wines. and dining out every night in 5-star restaurants to impress their neighbors and associates.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Bull....materialism cuts thru all socio-economic classes. Actually, the super rich/upper class and upper middle classes are more materialist than the lower classes. They are the ones buying million-dollar homes, diamonds, luxury cars, expensive wines. and dining out every night in 5-star restaurants to impress their neighbors and associates.
Well those super rich can afford that and still have money left over for food.
Lots of middle class do the same thing as well.

They cannot keep up with the Jones's...they have to BE the Jones's.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:12 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,803,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Me, I'd rather appear as "plain jane" and have a bulging bank account instead
I don't agree with this statement. Being poor doesn't explain the behavior we saw yesterday. There are plenty of poor Asian people in this country. Why aren't they mobbing stores for shoes or other items?

Old 12-24-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't agree with this statement. Being poor doesn't explain the behavior we saw yesterday. There are plenty of poor Asian people in this country. Why aren't they mobbing stores for shoes or other items?
Anyone who tries to answer this honestly will be called racist.
Better to ignore this than deal with it because it will get real ugly real quick.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:36 AM

3,049 posts, read 2,382,587 times
The 14th Amendment..ruined this great country.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:37 AM

117 posts, read 132,946 times
Man, black people are crazy.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
The 14th Amendment..ruined this great country.
No it didn't. Every human being has rights and none should EVER be treated as property.

I disagree with your statement 1000%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies