U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:54 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,013,174 times

Advertisements

Me, I just don't get the mindset.

The HDTVs that people stood in line for and fought over a few years ago, that were "on sale" for thou$ands of dollars, you can now pick up for a couplea hundred. Plus now they have all of the bugs worked out of them.

I don't wear anyone's name on my clothes. I advertise for no one.

I don't need anything so desperately that I will stand in line for it... except maybe the use of a bathroom.

It has nothing to do with color or race - it has to do with how people are raised. There are starting to be asian and middle-eastern teens whose parents did the same things as the black/white/whatever parents started doing a generation ago - told their kids that self-esteem comes from others, not from one's own accomplishments and successes; and that personal gratification isn't earned, but can be purchased or taken instantaneously from someone else.

A pathetic commentary on "civilization" no matter who does it, from the ghettoes and trailer parks through the McMansions to the gated communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 AM

22,577 posts, read 31,409,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Idiots. I say let them kill each other for the shoes.
Actually one guy on a local news website here in Louisville predicted that those Jordans would be the cause of at least one homicide over the holidays. I think he may be right.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:08 PM

779 posts, read 926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Chucks baby, $32.00 and in style since 1908!
I remember my first pair of Chucks. $9.99 at Jack's Sporting Goods on Vermont in L.A. That was more than twice the price of every other brand of tennis shoe on the market at that time (around 1969-70), but the "cool" factor was off the charts if you had a pair of white hightops. I cut a lot of lawns and pulled weeds out of a lot of gardens in the neighborhood to get the money for that pair. No way I was going to ask Pops to spring for that much cash for a pair of tennis shoes when the going price was $3.99 for "regular" tennis shoes.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:09 PM

17,251 posts, read 18,005,670 times
Instead of standing in line, pushing and shoving to buy a pair of (ugly) $180 shoes...these folks should be standing in the line at the library trying to gain some knowledge or at the bank trying to put that money into a college savings account.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:29 PM

298 posts, read 320,405 times
You know what's scary? These are non-essential items. What will it be like if the SHTF and there is a shortage of food, water and medicine? These videos will look like child's play.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:30 PM

298 posts, read 320,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Instead of standing in line, pushing and shoving to buy a pair of (ugly) $180 shoes...these folks should be standing in the line at the library trying to gain some knowledge or at the bank trying to put that money into a college savings account.
hahahaha, good one! These beasts need to be in a field picking crops. That's the only way they can be productive members of society.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:28 PM

1,674 posts, read 1,404,502 times
I've always been a follow-the-leader guy, especially when it comes to fashion. It all began with my purchase of a Pet Rock. And now it's my armload of tattoos. I'll say this for the Pet Rock, at least it could be easily removed.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:21 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,537,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

that girl with the gold teeth and chips is a dream for racists who love to play on stereotypes though.
lmao!

Old 12-24-2011, 08:28 PM

"Some didn't get in, .... ::CRUNCH::." She cracked me up when she said that.

I read some of the comments in this thread and there are a lot of good points. People these days are really materialistic. Jordans have always been a symbol and people have always wanted them. The people who said that most of these folks are probably making $7.90 or something, yet are there buying $200 shoes.

All of that is obviously unfortunate, but I realized a long time ago that we (people who know better) can't stop people from being this way. There's always going to be those that will go out and spend money that they don't have to spend (because they have bills to pay, etc) and won't put a value on education or paying those bills in time. Why would any of us care about this or have any say in it? Well, for me, because I care. I see so many kids grow up that know more about buying Jordans than how to get legal money to buy thousands of Jordans if they want to. I don't want to keep seeing so many kids end up working for small wages all of their life.

What can change this? We've spent years trying to educate people, make them think education is cool. Trying to teach that materialism isn't what gets you by in the real world, but we have so much in the media and things that are bombarding people with these images that they want to become. Yet, for some reason, most of the people who do these things haven't accepted that you can have all the things you want (and a WHOLE lot more), if you work hard, get an education and lead your life.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I recall one time Jordan was asked about how he felt about folks killing each other over his shoes, he said it wasn't his problem.
Do YOU recall that or did you HEAR ABOUT him saying it? Because I HEARD about that myself, but I never actually heard him or saw him say it.

In America's cities, kids are killing kids over sneakers - 05.14.90 - SI Vault

Just to give you a different moment on the topic with Michael Jordan, in the above link he shares a moment with reporters about how bothered he is by the killings and apparently, almost seems to want to cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies