U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:49 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,141,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
And, what about those that pay $500-$600 bucks for Chinese Ipads made for $50 dollars. Are they also idiots?
Actually, yes, given that even if they did have a need for a tablet (which most don't), the Android options have much more potential and more capabilities for significantly less money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 12:49 PM

2,606 posts, read 1,509,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
And, what about those that pay $500-$600 bucks for Chinese Ipads made for $50 dollars. Are they also idiots?

I'd say so. Although you might get a few years out of an Ipad.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:53 PM

3,513 posts, read 1,399,969 times
like i said the only good thing about this is you can sell them and make money off of them. you buy them for 200, and put them online for 500. financially its not the worst move because you can get a great return on investment.

what i dont like is people rioting over them and acting like idiots.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:54 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,283,771 times
I cant see any justification for this ridiculous behavior. I mean just for the 'prestige' of bragging??
But then I guess Im too old and who cares if I approve... Lol

Quote:
A fool and his welfare money is soon parted!
(wondering if this generalization is because most of the people in the video appeared to be minorities??)

Old 12-23-2011, 12:59 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,141,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
like i said the only good thing about this is you can sell them and make money off of them. you buy them for 200, and put them online for 500. financially its not the worst move because you can get a great return on investment.

what i dont like is people rioting over them and acting like idiots.
People were at the malls yesterday camping out all day and night for these shoes. Let's do some math here:

$200 for the shoes
$19 for tax
18 hours of your life that you will never get back.

Then you sell them on eBay, for 400.

Ebay then takes another 40 bucks for closing fees on the auction
Paypal takes another 3.5% of the gross, or $14
Let's say 2 dollars to box them up, tape them, print a shipping label, etc.
A gallon of gas to run them to the post office because you have to ship them with delivery confirmation or else the buyer will steal your money. Let's say $3.50.
Wait in line for 30 minutes at the post office because it's the holidays

So, the tally:

Revenue: $400
Expenses: $278.50
Profit: $121.50

For about 19 hours of your time? That comes out to 6.39 an hour. I wouldn't call that a smart financial decision. But then again, I wasn't waiting in line, and the people who were waiting in line were probably there because they aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the drawer who would take the time to perform a cost/ROI analysis.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:01 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,283,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Pay 200 bucks for a pair of sneakers that were made for 7.00 dollars, idiots.
As if they would be available for $7.00??
What would be the profit in that? I dont agree with the feeding frenzy antics, but I also see no need for insults, other than to make yourself feel smarter.
But everyone is free to like, dislike and purchase as they please, whether you or I approve or not. Aint that still America?

Old 12-23-2011, 01:04 PM

11,102 posts, read 8,194,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Pretty much sums up what this country has turned into. A bunch of materialistic imbeciles simply trying to keep up with the Joneses regardless if they have the financial means or not. It's all about "looking" like you've got money these days.

They may be living paycheck-to-paycheck (or on welfare) but you can bet you're bottom dollar they are out getting the new Iphones, big TV's, designed clothing, cars they can't afford, etc..etc.

We've become a mindless nation of $30,000 millionaires.
I agree with you...the idiocy of your average person today just amazes me...they don't have money for food,but can blow $200 on a pair of junk shoes that some gangbanger is just going to rob them of...THAT type of evolution is actually funny.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:06 PM

17,409 posts, read 7,971,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
The incident in Seattle happened last night. Is this Houston thing from years past? I didn't look at the video timestamp.

You mean this crap happens every year? For shoes?!
Yeah the OP's video is from last year but folks are rioting over Jordans now.

This is sad because Michael Jordan is a real jerk.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:09 PM

3,513 posts, read 1,399,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yeah the OP's video is from last year but folks are rioting over Jordans now.

This is sad because Michael Jordan is a real jerk.
and how would you know?

Old 12-23-2011, 01:12 PM

17,409 posts, read 7,971,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
and how would you know?
I know. You can choose to believe it or not. This is an internet forum not a court of law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies