Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:31 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis;22244939[B
]Pathetic, I lump these people in with the black friday shoppers. And this isnt a race thing, at least not to me, as I am mixed.[/b] There were midnight openings across the country and you see whites running for them in videos on youtube in places like Beaverton as well.

Only good thing about the Air Jordans are the resale value. You buy em for 200, can sell them for over 500 because of exclusivity, only 100 pairs across the country were released.

That girl with the gold teeth and chips is a dream for racists who love to play on stereotypes though.

Stampede at Houston Mall for New Air Jordan "Cool Greys" - YouTube
The overwhelming majority of people that I am seeing in the reports across the country are Black. How is this not about race?

Race for New Air Jordan Sneakers Turns Ugly at a Metro Atlanta Mall (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/local_news/Race-for-New-Air-Jordan-Tennis-Shoes-Turns-Ugly-20111223-am-sd - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 12:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Air Jordan release leads to riot at Southland Mall | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20111223/NEWS02/111223016/Air-Jordan-release-leads-riot-Southland-Mall?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE - broken link)
That's a nice ass mall in a nice area, but i'm not surprised.

I get the feeling that Jordan Brand loves the pandemonium and notoriety. Bad press is still good press in their case, and only makes the shoes more highly desired.

I don't know why they don't quietly release the shoes. They'd sell just as many.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
The overwhelming majority of people that I am seeing in the reports across the country are Black. How is this not about race?

Race for New Air Jordan Sneakers Turns Ugly at a Metro Atlanta Mall (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/local_news/Race-for-New-Air-Jordan-Tennis-Shoes-Turns-Ugly-20111223-am-sd - broken link)
I thought it was about shoes.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's a nice ass mall in a nice area, but i'm not surprised.

I get the feeling that Jordan Brand loves the pandemonium and notoriety. Bad press is still good press in their case, and only makes the shoes more highly desired.

I don't know why they don't quietly release the shoes. They'd sell just as many.
I recall one time Jordan was asked about how he felt about folks killing each other over his shoes, he said it wasn't his problem.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I thought it was about shoes.
It's about a culture where material possessions are valued more than anything else. I hope folks who didn't get the shoes don't start killing and robbing people who have them.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,371 times
Quote:
I know. You can choose to believe it or not. This is an internet forum not a court of law.
Its pretty well documented like you said, so are guys like him, Kobe,Tiger and Roger Clemens, etc. We may not like it but its one of things that makes these guys great, all four are killers (sports killing) in there own right. Its why Lebron James won't get a ring without another great player cause Lebron is generally a well liked nice guy so was Shaq and he needed Kobe. A funny story quickly, a few years ago at the olympics a well known writer for SI challenged a few NBA guys to a game of pig, he almost beat Lebron and had him to pi. Kobe being whatever you'd like to call him, saw the writer was only was only 5'8" so when the writer who beat two NBA players called out Kobe and gave him the first shot, Kobe went and did a reverse dunk. The writer cried to Kobe "well I can't dunk" Kobe's reply was "so thats p for you" and he continued to dunk the ball to finish the game. This was done in front of the writers kid, heck even some of the NBA guys were embarrassed. Jordan would of done the same thing, he's been lucky not have have some of his exploits printed as he played before all this media stuff.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:43 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,458 times
Quote:
It's about a culture where material possessions are valued more than anything else. I hope folks who didn't get the shoes don't start killing and robbing people who have them.
sounds like the vast majority of americans

Old 12-23-2011, 12:44 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,336 times
Quote:
Good luck with that . I bet if you go to Chinatown on Christmas day you can buy a pair just like them for fifty bucks.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:44 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
And, what about those that pay $500-$600 bucks for Chinese Ipads made for $50 dollars. Are they also idiots?
Yep.

This nonsense ranks right up there with the guy who lost was little was left of his mind because his video game was sold out when he got in the store:

"First up, in beautiful Colorado, a 31-year old man was charged with disorderly conduct after he made quite the scene at a local Best Buy.

According to Colorado’s 9News, Lomorin Sar became a little angry with Best Buy employees when his copy of Modern Warfare 3, that he reportedly pre-ordered, wasn’t there. The store had sold out, and Sar didn’t take the news very well. Witnesses say that he asked the employees when they were leaving work, saying that he would shoot them in the parking lot.

If that wasn’t enough, he also threatened to blow up the entire store."

Modern Warfare 3 Sparks Violent Incidents On Launch Day | WebProNews

Of course, on the other hand, one does have to wonder: if people stopped believing that these things were the be-all and end-all, what would that mean for capitalism, retail sales and employment...?

Old 12-23-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Its pretty well documented like you said, so are guys like him, Kobe,Tiger and Roger Clemens, etc. We may not like it but its one of things that makes these guys great, all four are killers (sports killing) in there own right. Its why Lebron James won't get a ring without another great player cause Lebron is generally a well liked nice guy so was Shaq and he needed Kobe. A funny story quickly, a few years ago at the olympics a well known writer for SI challenged a few NBA guys to a game of pig, he almost beat Lebron and had him to pi. Kobe being whatever you'd like to call him, saw the writer was only was only 5'8" so when the writer who beat two NBA players called out Kobe and gave him the first shot, Kobe went and did a reverse dunk. The writer cried to Kobe "well I can't dunk" Kobe's reply was "so thats p for you" and he continued to dunk the ball to finish the game. This was done in front of the writers kid, heck even some of the NBA guys were embarrassed. Jordan would of done the same thing, he's been lucky not have have some of his exploits printed as he played before all this media stuff.
I have acquaintances who are servers in DC and they say he doesn't tip because it's an honor for folks to serve him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies