Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 09:25 PM

521 posts, read 467,073 times

Advertisements

Agree with the OP. Our country would be in better financial shape if minimum wage was abolished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 09:49 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Millions of Americans just don't realize how detrimental unions have been to this country, and to minorities in particular, and Dr. Thomas Sowell's book entitled 'Race And Economics' is indeed a superb and very illuminating book on that subject.

Their unreasonable demands have crippled many companies and industries, most notably the Detrout 3, as well as employees of various steel companies.

Unions just aren't all they're cracked up to be, and joining one is no guarantee that you'll be paid a higher wage than a non-unionized worker, as Whole Foods Market CEO John Mackey briiliantly pointed out recently in an editorial in the WSJ.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
True, Marv101, Unions could only flourish during post WWII when America had NO competition, as the rest of the 1st world was rising from the ashes. Once that era ended, and we moved into a global economy, any roadblock to competitiveness such as unions in Detroit, effectively destroyed themselves.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:26 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
I agree that unions became too powerful, and their inflated demands had a crippling effect on American industry.

That being said, taking the minimum wage away, and allowing employers the right to offer bread crumbs to their employees is swinging the pendulum too far the other way.

I can see the positive effects of weaker unions----but do away with the minimum wage----$5 an hour now sound like a benevolant scenario when gas is $3.50 an hour, and a two bedroom apt runs for over $1000 a month is most areas.

Before our compassionate hordes here say----well increase your skill level and you will make more----please remember that in this devastating era PHDs are making pizzas, and highly skilled laborers are pumping gas----yeah have them take $5 an hour to mama to pay the bills.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:52 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I agree that unions became too powerful, and their inflated demands had a crippling effect on American industry.

That being said, taking the minimum wage away, and allowing employers the right to offer bread crumbs to their employees is swinging the pendulum too far the other way.

I can see the positive effects of weaker unions----but do away with the minimum wage----$5 an hour now sound like a benevolant scenario when gas is $3.50 an hour, and a two bedroom apt runs for over $1000 a month is most areas.

Before our compassionate hordes here say----well increase your skill level and you will make more----please remember that in this devastating era PHDs are making pizzas, and highly skilled laborers are pumping gas----yeah have them take $5 an hour to mama to pay the bills.
How is it the logical conclusion that abolishing the minimum wage would lead to people making $5/hour?

Old 12-27-2011, 12:16 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

It is not a personal choice, it is an economic and financial decision.

You can pay a "burger clipper" (whatever that is) $8 or $12 if and only if the financial and economic conditions in your market permit it, and even though those conditions might exist in your market, it would be both a folly and a fallacy to automatically assume that the exact same conditions exist in all markets, which is the mistake Liberals make.
Okay, I'll bite.

7.25 * 37.5 * 52 = $12,064/year.

To back up your point, I want you to give me a list of jurisdictions in this country where a person (even a single person) could live off of $1,005 per month. Let's take $100 off of that for payroll taxes. So $900/mth.

$900. Let's see that list.

The mistake that many Conservatives make is in not realizing that the world is made up of people, not corporations. Corporations only have the power that PEOPLE give them, not the other way around.

There is a minimum wage because it's necessary. I'd bet you anything that if Wal-Mart could get away with paying their employees $3/hr, they absolutely would. And the conservatives would cheer them on.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:20 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
There is a minimum wage because it's necessary. I'd bet you anything that if Wal-Mart could get away with paying their employees $3/hr, they absolutely would. And the conservatives would cheer them on.
Exactly. It would be great to not need a minimum wage. However, we all know that many a corp. would jump at the chance to pay even lower if they could as a "cost saving measure", then take the money 'saved' and give it the CEO for his brilliant idea.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:49 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes, but it can be changed without removing it from being the law of the land. That is why there is a clause for amendments. The founding fathers realized that it would not be perfect for all times.

This is what the progressives push. The conservatives, however, push that the laws that were applicable 250 years ago would still be applicable today and in the future.

It helps to understand both sides rather than just say "I'm right, they're wrong."
The laws are still applicable today. And will be 100 years from now.

I've never heard a lib/progressive politician push for an amendment.....I've heard them talk about using the courts and having the president use nonexistent executive powers to make change, but never amending.

I understand the left perfectly. They use emotion and good intentions rather than ideas that have been tried and true.

I am right.....they are wrong. Read the Constitution.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:51 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,517 times
Quote:
Okay, I'll bite.

To back up your point, I want you to give me a list of jurisdictions in this country where a person (even a single person) could live off of $1,005 per month. Let's take $100 off of that for payroll taxes. So $900/mth.

The mistake that many Conservatives make is in not realizing that the world is made up of people, not corporations. Corporations only have the power that PEOPLE give them, not the other way around.

But here is the problem that a lot of people dislike.
If you are only bringing home $905 a month, you should not be living alone. Our biggest expense is our rent/mortgage, so, finding someone to share that with helps A LOT. Even renting a place that's $900 a month and you are only paying $450 is going to help YOU out significantly. But this means the other $450 needs to be spent on NEEDS and not wants. When you are in this situation, and the moment you sign of that for "unlimited" cell phone plan, or cable with all the channels.. you have lost all sympathy from people in the real world, and you deserve to be poor.

In this situation, you should not be just working the one job. Find something else and bring home an extra ~18-20 hours a week. That right there will be your game changer. This will help keep you afloat.

And if you have kids in this situation, this is your own fault too.

Of course Wal-Mart would want to pay $3 an hour. Why wouldn't they want to? But in a free market, the market determines how much people get paid. Go ahead and offer $3 an hour. I won't take it. Most people won't. They NEED people so they will be forced to increase their wages if people do NOT accept that kind of wage. Plus, why take that $3 an hour, when everyone doing the same job at Target is getting paid $8.50? Don't forget, if we were able to bring home all of the manufacturing sites and call centers that we lost.. we would have such an influx of jobs. Having a TON of jobs available, with no minimum wage set will drastically improve our economy because people have choices on where to work. The best of the best will only be hired, you'll actually have to work to keep your job (like you should), and wages will stay competitive. In the previous example, Wal-Mart will eventually start hiring at $9 an hour to try and take away some of Targets employees. If Target can afford it, they will respond with offering $11. This is great for all of us.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Okay, I'll bite.

If throngs of people would work at Walmart for $3.00 and hour, wouldn't that be proof that $3.00 an hour is all their labor is worth?

Minimum wage hurts more people than it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies