Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
What if I am an employer and I'd like to hire someone, but I simply don't want to pay the minimum wage?

Then you may outsource your labor to China where slavery is still legal. Just like every other US company has done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,342 times
It goes beyond the term minimum wage. It's not just about the set price. We can all sit here and go omggg $7.25!! that crazy!! derrrpp!

Fix the rising cost of living.
Lower the heck out of corporate taxes, so companies will set up manufacturers, call centers, and other tons of jobs available here.

If we brought back ALLL of those jobs, there would be more jobs than people (IMO). This is a GOOD thing. When you have SO many jobs open, and we take away the "minimum wage", this will do good things! If "Nike" is hiring people $4 an hour, but "Reebok" is hiring people at $10....where do you think people will apply first? Nike will be forced to pay more, in order have a staff. Remember, we are talking about an environment where there are plenty of jobs, so take away the mentality of what's going on where jobs are rare and far in between.

Get rid of our income tax. This will provide people with MORE of their paycheck.

It just goes so much more beyond what minimum wage is. People may focus solely on the numbers, but $7.25 an hour is NOT the same as $7.25 an hour where people keep most of their money and the general cost of living has been lowered.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:45 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,501 times
The sad thing is that some people work for below minimum wage and it is perfectly legal for them to do so. No one says a word about it.

All minimum wage laws do is eliminate entry level jobs. Which leads to unemployment. (Normally for minorities). They do nothing else. If a job is worth $6 an hour that is what I am going to pay. If I am forced to pay more I will figure out another way to do it. That means someone that I would have hired is now unemployed.

It's just like child labor. Some kids are allowed by law to work. And no one has a problem with it. It's often encouraged. Other kids are not allowed to work. Even if they want to. (Again normally monorities.)

Most laws that deal with economics or the workforce just elminate opportunities for poor people and minorities to enter the work force. And the politicians and unions know it.

But poor people and minorities don't vote. And dopey arse white people relieve themselves of ill-founded guilt because they are told they are "helping".

It's all a scheme by the unions to keep poor people and monorities out of the workforce. That keeps union wages higher than they should be.

Book It!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
It just goes so much more beyond what minimum wage is. People may focus solely on the numbers, but $7.25 an hour is NOT the same as $7.25 an hour where people keep most of their money and the general cost of living has been lowered.
No one makes $7.25 an hour either. By the time you throw in all benefits a 7.25 an hour worker is probably making $20 an hour or more. It's just not all in cash. For some reason the left ignores that.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Then do it yourself and don't hire someone to pay slave wages that won't cover their cost of living, simple. If business models are rendered "unsustainable" because of this, then they most likely are just that (unsustainable) and as a consumer, it wouldn't be a business I would wish to use, given that it pays slave wages.
Bad analogy.

Slaves don't make a wage. Therefore it is impossible to pay "slave wages".

And more than 98% of Americans that have a job make more than minimum wage. If what you say is true wouldn't we all be making minimum wage? No one is forcing employers to pay more, but for some reason they are.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Ohioisthe Best, Baloney. On average, a f/t employees Health Care cost b/w $4 and $5 per hour. Add in FICA and UI, for a 7.50/hr employee, thats under $1.25. Add in vacation and holidays ,assuming 20 days year, and that means an extra $1,200 is incurred-backfilling the spot. That is 60 cents per hour. All other benes cost under $1.00 per hour. That brings a $7.50 employee with benes cost to $14 max, and under $10 for the majority of low wage spots which do not come with Insurance.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Ohioisthe Best, Baloney. On average, a f/t employees Health Care cost b/w $4 and $5 per hour. Add in FICA and UI, for a 7.50/hr employee, thats under $1.25. Add in vacation and holidays ,assuming 20 days year, and that means an extra $1,200 is incurred-backfilling the spot. That is 60 cents per hour. All other benes cost under $1.00 per hour. That brings a $7.50 employee with benes cost to $14 max, and under $10 for the majority of low wage spots which do not come with Insurance.
All right. We'll go with your numbers. They sound reasonable.

You get my point though. The typical person making minimum wage is really making $14 an hour.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Again, only if insured, and 1/2 plus of them do not get insurance. Target insures 4 in 10 employees, about the retail average. Its a p/t world, where the average cost is closer to $10 than $14 due to lack of insurance. Etime corps, I'd bet you don't know, offer software to warn employers when employees are approaching either OT or benefit levels. Its not sold to play Santa; its sold to save money on benefits.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:20 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,542 times
Quote:
That's not the question I asked though EDIT: but I'll play along. What if I'm a business and I want to and can afford to hire someone, but not just at minimum wage. What should I do?
Hire an illegal immigrant.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:21 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,542 times
Quote:
So you believe that the minimum wage causes unemployment?
Minimum wage does not cause unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies