U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 06:47 AM

66,574 posts, read 33,889,281 times

Advertisements

Seems the most important document in this nation, is just skimmed over in our public schools.

I know when I attended public school in the 70's, we had an entire year(8th grade) of the US Constitution, entwined with our US history.

It still was not deep and thorough.

Today, they spend one week on the US Constitution, in the 8th grade.

Do you feel every year from 1st grade to graduation, the US Constitution should be taught and reviewed.
We are losing it, because we don't know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 06:57 AM

7,090 posts, read 10,771,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Seems the most important document in this nation, is just skimmed over in our public schools.

I know when I attended public school in the 70's, we had an entire year(8th grade) of the US Constitution, entwined with our US history.

Do you feel every year from 1st grade to graduation, the US Constitution should be taught and reviewed.
Proof? All school districts in the US spend one week in that grade?

Old 12-24-2011, 06:58 AM

6,237 posts, read 8,472,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Actually, it's required material in government class and should be referenced in any American history classes. Not sure how much it actually is coverered, but in my government class, I spend a week or two introducing the Consitution. We read it article by article, clause by clause. Then for the rest of the semester I refer back to it whenever we bring up some current event or other units of government class. But giving them that introduction, then intertwining it with the rest of my curriculum has made them quite familiar with the document, even if they can't quote every word.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:08 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,441,323 times
It should be but more important topics are covered instead, like learning that gays are really not freaks of nature, practicing safe sex, how man is causing global warming and how to act like a wuss when somebody come up in your face.

The Constitution AND the reasons why it came into existence should be taught in all schools but since the progressive liberals now control the education system it'll never happen.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
It should be but more important topics are covered instead, like learning that gays are really not freaks of nature, practicing safe sex, how man is causing global warming and how to act like a wuss when somebody come up in your face.

The Constitution AND the reasons why it came into existence should be taught in all schools but since the progressive liberals now control the education system it'll never happen.
Actually, the constitution is required to be taught in high school in Michigan, a blue state. I would assume that's the case in all fifty states. At my school we even say the pledge of allegiance, have assemblies on patriotic holidays and even sing Christmas carols at Christmas. Yeah, real "progressive". Sure.

Your problem is that you don't actually want kids to critically think. You might think you do, but no. You and other conservatives who complain about publiced want kids to be indoctrinated to think like Fox News-style Republicans. I and most other teachers want them to think for themselves. Personally I don't care whether my students end up liberal or conservative, as long as they've thought through their beliefs.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:01 AM

11,102 posts, read 13,206,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Actually, the constitution is required to be taught in high school in Michigan, a blue state. I would assume that's the case in all fifty states. At my school we even say the pledge of allegiance, have assemblies on patriotic holidays and even sing Christmas carols at Christmas. Yeah, real "progressive". Sure.

Your problem is that you don't actually want kids to critically think. You might think you do, but no. You and other conservatives who complain about publiced want kids to be indoctrinated to think like Fox News-style Republicans. I and most other teachers want them to think for themselves. Personally I don't care whether my students end up liberal or conservative, as long as they've thought through their beliefs.
It's the same at my oldest girl's school and this year is her 8th grade too.

They even allow kids to gather for prayer in the mornings if they want to and this is what the RWNJ's would call a demonic democrat controlled area.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:02 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,612,888 times
With the average reading at an 8th grade level, the Constitution would be too hard for them to read and comprehend.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:03 AM

7,090 posts, read 10,771,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
With the average reading at an 8th grade level, the Constitution would be too hard for them to read and comprehend.
At that level it is too hard to read for most Americans.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Admittedly, it is a challenge to get through for a lot of kids. But the Declaration of Independence is even harder.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:06 AM

50,792 posts, read 26,806,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Proof? All school districts in the US spend one week in that grade?
Great point. You beat me to the punch.

I went to school alternately in two different districts in jr high and high school. We went in some serious depth in Constitutional studies (which is why i ended up a liberal)....we did mock trials and all kinds of stuff.

My son graduated from H.S. in 2007....same thing. In fact, he did so well in his business law classes in college based a lot on his high school Government and Constitution classes.

And no. Neither of us learned it in private schools. So all districts aren't the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies