Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Actually you need somewhere around a 30 to pass the asvab. If your an idiot they throw you in the infantry instead of some high tech spot. Most gang bangers figure out how to count their money and write their name so they can get in if they want. More reality coming back to bite you know it all nothing lefties in the butt.
You don't know what you're talking about...STILL!

Most recruiters will tell you that even in some pretty decent school districts, the majority of kids can't get past the ASVAB in many cases. This was most certainly the case when my uncle was on recruiting duty.

And even if you go into the infantry (like i did), the bar isn't as low as you think it is. Actually some pretty damn smart kids become grunts. In fact, when i switched over to logistics, i know for a fact that many grunts i know had higher GT scores than a lot of guys in support functions.

Sorry, but it takes more than just being able to count your money and write your name to get in the military. But keep fooling yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 12:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I think it would take away from what forms a "team of like minded individuals".
It's the psychological advantage I speak of.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think it would take away from what forms a "team of like minded individuals".
It's the psychological advantage I speak of.
Not really. Troops get over it fairly quickly.

The Army desegregated ahead of Korea, and even though the color lines were still there, they did their jobs admirably in the Korean War. And integrating the Army was much tougher than this religious garb stuff. This is small potatoes in comparison.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You don't know what you're talking about...STILL!

Most recruiters will tell you that even in some pretty decent school districts, the majority of kids can't get past the ASVAB in many cases. This was most certainly the case when my uncle was on recruiting duty.

And even if you go into the infantry (like i did), the bar isn't as low as you think it is. Actually some pretty damn smart kids become grunts. In fact, when i switched over to logistics, i know for a fact that many grunts i know had higher GT scores than a lot of guys in support functions.

Sorry, but it takes more than just being able to count your money and write your name to get in the military. But keep fooling yourself.

Understanding the ASVAB Test | GoArmy.com
No one passes or fails the ASVAB. However, to be considered for enlistment in the Army, you need to score at least a 31.

Now the Army will take GEDs and will take scores as low as 26.
This is out of 99.
Minimum ASVAB Scores and Education Levels Required for Enlistment in the U.S. Military

Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Understanding the ASVAB Test | GoArmy.com
No one passes or fails the ASVAB. However, to be considered for enlistment in the Army, you need to score at least a 31.

Now the Army will take GEDs and will take scores as low as 26.
This is out of 99.
Minimum ASVAB Scores and Education Levels Required for Enlistment in the U.S. Military
Look, i'm not talking about any specific score numbers. I know all about the ASVAB.

My point is that the ASVAB is fairly daunting for even the smart kids. I'm not saying that they don't do well on it....many do. But if you're a gangbanging idiot that doesn't give a rats ass about education, you aren't going to do too well, and you're PROBABLY going to fail it. Now are some kids smart enough to pass it anyway? Sure. Some people are just naturally smart. But that's the exception, not the rule. I knew some pretty smart ass people when i was in the Army that had to go to BSEP to raise their scores so as to reenlist. And when i say smart, i mean very competent people.

So again, to frame the Army as some haven for gangbangers is nonsensical and an outright lie. There is a fair bit of hyperbole around this gang stuff, and folks should know better. Yea, i'm sure a Crip or Blood has managed to sneak by once or twice, but that's VERY rare.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Look, i'm not talking about any specific score numbers. I know all about the ASVAB.

My point is that the ASVAB is fairly daunting for even the smart kids. I'm not saying that they don't do well on it....many do. But if you're a gangbanging idiot that doesn't give a rats ass about education, you aren't going to do too well, and you're PROBABLY going to fail it. Now are some kids smart enough to pass it anyway? Sure. Some people are just naturally smart. But that's the exception, not the rule. I knew some pretty smart ass people when i was in the Army that had to go to BSEP to raise their scores so as to reenlist. And when i say smart, i mean very competent people.

So again, to frame the Army as some haven for gangbangers is nonsensical and an outright lie. There is a fair bit of hyperbole around this gang stuff, and folks should know better. Yea, i'm sure a Crip or Blood has managed to sneak by once or twice, but that's VERY rare.
I know..former USCG here. I took that ASVAB as well in my life but I don't know all about it. I just knew I had to get a high score to get into the CG branch.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I know..former USCG here. I took that ASVAB as well in my life but I don't know all about it. I just knew I had to get a high score to get into the CG branch.
Yea, the Baywatch Corps doesn't suffer dummies too well. You have to be fairly smart to get in.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Yea, i'm sure a Crip or Blood has managed to sneak by once or twice, but that's VERY rare.
Well you better let the military and the FBI know because they are worried about the increasing numbers of all gangs, including the Mexican Cartel, in the military. The FBI based this on documented evidence, not hearsay.

Gangs Increasing in Military, FBI Says

Old 12-26-2011, 12:59 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Not really. Troops get over it fairly quickly.

The Army desegregated ahead of Korea, and even though the color lines were still there, they did their jobs admirably in the Korean War. And integrating the Army was much tougher than this religious garb stuff. This is small potatoes in comparison.
I'll bet you and I could sit down and share a roast pork dinner and argue politics all night. Could you do that with everyone?

Old 12-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Well you better let the military and the FBI know because they are worried about the increasing numbers of all gangs, including the Mexican Cartel, in the military. The FBI based this on documented evidence, not hearsay.

Gangs Increasing in Military, FBI Says
It's their job to overstate stuff. That way, when something happens, they won't be accused of not giving sufficient warning when they're called on the carpet.

Like i said before, i live in a military community. It's not an issue. I cavort with soldiers pretty regularly, and beyond the normal foolishness that young soldiers get into, it's pretty laid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies