Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 02:09 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
No, it's my contention that union workers want a middle class existence as was afforded before the race to the bottom began.

It wasn't that the CEOs made more than the workers, it's that the income gap resembled China's more than the Arsenal of Democracy's of the booming, growing, low unemployment age of days gone by.

Why don't nonunion workers join one? Misinformation, stereotypes, general ignorance as we see displayed in types like you. Also possible intimidation by bosses in free-to-fire states.

Way to base your entire argument on stereotypes.
You mean like you base your argument on the stereotypical greedy CEO? LOLs.

Nice talking to you. Good luck in your first job out of college. Hopefully the real world will wake you up.

What you learned in your classroom (let me guess OU-Athens) has little resemblance to the working world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Union platitudes? I'm not in a union, you bumbling hillbilly fool. I never said Unions created the 40 hour work week. I'm saying they established it as common practice by representation and lobbying power (hence the union dues). Had it not been for that, it would've been employer's choice to either treat employees as near-slaves or give them a middle class existence. People would still work in the sweatshops too, because you've gotta make a living somehow.

Some of us just like having a middle class. Sorry that you hate it so much.

LOLs. You can't get over the name-calling.

Snobby college kid. What a surprise.

My Master's is from Villanova. That makes me a hillbilly. LOLs.

And you call me a troll. lols.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:13 AM

442 posts, read 539,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Your fresh out of college? lols. You'll figure it out in a year or two.

And the CEO of Endicott-Johnson was very public about the 40 hour work week. He publicly encouraged other comanies to follow his lead. That company is now Rocky Boots. Located in Nelsonville, Ohio. Right by Meigs County, FYI.

And I work for Thermo Fisher Scientific in Marietta, Ohio. Non-union. You know, there are dozens of people that work there that have been there for decades. And the majority of us make more than $50 grand a year. But, according to your "logic" that is impossible. Because the CEO wouldn't dare pay us anymore than he has to by law.

I'll give you a bit of free advice too since your fresh out of college. If you go to work with this obvious chip o your shoulder about people that make money than you you won't last long. People can sense a troublemaker a mile away. It's pretty obvious you resent anyone that is running a company. Take it for what it's worth.
I resent people who underpay their employees and don't let them live a comfortable lifestyle. Inflation and our stagnant wages is making the non-union job the modern day sweatshop gig.

Also, I've been to Nelsonville. It's a dump and that company is tiny. Obviously it took more than the CEO of that flourishing company's encouragement to institute a 40 hour work week... hence the lobbying from unions.

Yes, there are exceptions. Yes, you may make more than $50k a year... But these are people who have been there for decades. I'm aiming a little higher. I want more for myself, especially in the days of dropping wages and price inflation. I'm talking about the vast majority of job relocations which are to the sunbelt. The factory I worked at in Kentucky paid $8 an hour. No benefits. It was dangerous and our only friend was OSHA which forcefully improved the air quality within our operation.

You don't know anything about the grand scheme of manufacturing in the USA and how it has shifted, obviously.

On top of that, you're a know nothing who still shows no grasp on reality. I'd recommend taking your employer's health insurance (if they offer it) and getting checked for dementia.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
LOLs. You can't get over the name-calling.

Snobby college kid. What a surprise.

My Master's is from Villanova. That makes me a hillbilly. LOLs.

And you call me a troll. lols.
So what the hell are you doing working in a factory in a post-industrial Ohio River town famous for low air quality and abandonment?

Or are you a white collar employee in a factory who resents well paid blue collar workers? That might explain it.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:33 AM

323 posts, read 321,595 times
Unions need to go bye bye....sorry but our government need to reduce spending ASAP.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicgreen View Post
Unions need to go bye bye....sorry but our government need to reduce spending ASAP.
They also need to increase revenue. Union jobs provide higher wages and more solid tax bases... when nonunion scare tactics don't prevent their formation.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:31 AM

323 posts, read 321,595 times
America becomes the #1 nation to develop new stores after Obama drops the taxes on new companies...if not he should not be voted for at all!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
To be clear, I'm not talking about union members getting bonuses, I am talking about the employees of unions getting bonuses. Where is the outrage there?
Because the membership feels they deserve them.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I resent people who underpay their employees and don't let them live a comfortable lifestyle. Inflation and our stagnant wages is making the non-union job the modern day sweatshop gig.

Also, I've been to Nelsonville. It's a dump and that company is tiny. Obviously it took more than the CEO of that flourishing company's encouragement to institute a 40 hour work week... hence the lobbying from unions.

Yes, there are exceptions. Yes, you may make more than $50k a year... But these are people who have been there for decades. I'm aiming a little higher. I want more for myself, especially in the days of dropping wages and price inflation. I'm talking about the vast majority of job relocations which are to the sunbelt. The factory I worked at in Kentucky paid $8 an hour. No benefits. It was dangerous and our only friend was OSHA which forcefully improved the air quality within our operation.

You don't know anything about the grand scheme of manufacturing in the USA and how it has shifted, obviously.

On top of that, you're a know nothing who still shows no grasp on reality. I'd recommend taking your employer's health insurance (if they offer it) and getting checked for dementia.
That company in Nelsonville was one of the largest in the U.S. in the 1890s.

And according to government data from 1860-1890 manufacturing wages in the U.S. rose 50%. And another 34% from 1891-1914. This was when union membership was less than 3%. And there were no minimum wage laws. So yeah, the unions did a great job of lobbying for higher wages. LMAO.

How could that have happened if all employers would pay the bare minimum as you have stated as fact? Why is it that more than 98% of working Americans make more than minimum wage? No one is forcing employers to pay more. And according to you employers only what they have to. Why are they paying more than required by law?

And inflation is caused because the government is printing too much money. The same government you think is going to improve your wages? LMAO.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with OU Athens... however, no. UK.

And it's landed me a job at a fortune 500 with an office to myself and pay on par with your peers who have been working with decades... I even passed the skills test which involved working on real world problems (the skills for which I learned in the classroom and through internship).

The fact you're using the word "LOLs" still makes me think you're a trolling 14 year old who believes whatever his redneck Meigs County father tells him.
Again with the insults.

I looked at going to UK. My SAT scores were too high though.

And you work for a Fortune 500 company making all kinds of money. Great. So do a lot of people.

Earlier you had posted that companies would $1 an hour if they could get away with it. Even said I support that. (Are you a mind-reader?).

No one is foecing this Fortune 500 company that you work for to pay one cent more than minimum wage. So why are they paying more than required?

You need to make up your mind. One post you say employers will only pay the bare minimum. The next post you say a company is paying you way more than the minimum wage.

But you learned at UK that employers would pay $1 an hour is they could. LOLs. Like I said, you don't learn much about the business world sitting in a classroom. You'll figure it out soon enough.

P.S. Pomeroy and Nelsonville are pretty nice places compared to Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies