Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 03:06 AM

442 posts, read 539,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
It is statements like this that shows you are an extremist and have no grasp on reality. you believe that if they don't hold your viewpoint, they are self defeating. so, you are saying that the next generation of liberals are going to be more close minded and have more hatred then the current generation?
No, I'm saying that if they vote for the conservative candidates in the upcoming election they are not voting for their basic human rights as homosexuals and more important: humans. This, in turn, is self-defeating as they are defeating themselves through political action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 03:08 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
When it comes down to it, they lost 2% from 2008-2010 and the vast gain in conservatives is likely from libertarians and moderate-right leaners becoming more extreme and identifying together.
So toss out the last two years and you're still looking at 40/20.

Libertarianism (albeit moderate libertarianism) is growing and will capture some of those liberals; I know more people than I can count who consider themselves "liberals" based solely on social issues.

Quote:
A vast majority of those independents are likely left leaning though as we still manage to have popular votes that overwhelmingly support the Blue candidate as well as the fact that NY and CA as well as other high population states are often overwhelmingly Blue.
How long do you think the American people (being 40% conservative) will allow a few densely packed states to decide their fate? They're not going to sit back and take it forever.

You seem to be more interested in gaining power over others than anything else.

-

You are correct about being the future American as in not being a rapidly anti-gay social conservative. Fiscal matters? Nope.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:09 AM

323 posts, read 321,541 times
Always??? incorrect, when they start voting red things will turn around and more will chat...

Old 12-26-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
So toss out the last two years and you're still looking at 40/20.

Libertarianism (albeit moderate libertarianism) is growing and will capture some of those liberals; I know more people than I can count who consider themselves "liberals" based solely on social issues.
So a hands off socially American policy is going to capture liberals? I doubt it.

Who are those 40% independents voting for now that many of the libertarians are no longer "independent" and identify with conservatives?

Quote:
How long do you think the American people (being 40% conservative) will allow a few densely packed states to decide their fate? They're not going to sit back and take it forever.

You seem to be more interested in gaining power over others than anything else.
Well, if that's where most of the people live, should they not hold their equal share of power?

And no, you're putting words in my mouth. I'm describing an observed generational shift.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicgreen View Post
Always??? incorrect, when they start voting red things will turn around and more will chat...
/facepalm

You claim to have gone to college. Your grammar, spelling, and general lack of understanding of anything that is going on around you leads me to believe you flunked out.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:12 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
Quote:
Take it from a Chicagoan by raising. The people of the city of Chicago and Cook County will ALWAYS vote blue. The city isn't being destroyed. Over 50% of the population loss was the result of the scattering of CHA tenants into the suburbs of Cook County and the replacement of these old structures with less dense HOPE VI housing. Liberal policies are SAVING the city in the long run. The biggest title a conservative will win in Chicago is Alderman at best.
take it from a Chicagoan, you are proving you know nothing about the area. you say cook county will always vote blue, then how come many cook county residents didnt vote blue, and voted for and elected republican congressmen?

Old 12-26-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
take it from a Chicagoan, you are proving you know nothing about the area. you say cook county will always vote blue, then how come many cook county residents didnt vote blue, and voted for and elected republican congressmen?
Jerrymandering as well as the fact that some of those districts extend all the way into rural Kane County

Old 12-26-2011, 03:15 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
So a hands off socially American policy is going to capture liberals? I doubt it.
Yes, it is. Not all, but some. There are tons of people who consider themselves "liberals" because they absolutely can not stand the religious BS coming from the Republican party.

Quote:
Who are those 40% independents voting for now that many of the libertarians are no longer "independent" and identify with conservatives?
Another group that is probably scared off in large numbers by social conservatism.

Quote:
Well, if that's where most of the people live, should they not hold their equal share of power?
Except that our system does not go by popular vote.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:16 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
Quote:
No, I'm saying that if they vote for the conservative candidates in the upcoming election they are not voting for their basic human rights as homosexuals and more important: humans. This, in turn, is self-defeating as they are defeating themselves through political action.

exactly, because you believe it is voting against their basic human rights. you are proving my point.

I mean I feel that any black person that votes for a liberal candidate is voting against their best interest, but, unlike you, I am not going to degrade them, I spend my time trying to educate them.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
exactly, because you believe it is voting against their basic human rights. you are proving my point.

I mean I feel that any black person that votes for a liberal candidate is voting against their best interest, but, unlike you, I am not going to degrade them, I spend my time trying to educate them.
Voting against your right to receive the same tax benefits and be legally recognized as married isn't voting against your rights?

And please, lower taxes means less investment and lack of investment and low taxes are exactly why the tax bases of municipalities like Gary, Indiana have never been able to recover from white flight, providing the kickstart to give poor, urban blacks an equal playing field in terms of education. Other factors are prevalent as well - redlining is the biggest particular case I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies