Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:27 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So are you now in awe of the powers of the Great State of Texas ?
Better be nice to us now..or else we'll destroy your local economy from 1/2 across the US.
Nothing is 1/2 across the US.. We ARE half the US!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 02:33 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
The California Energy Crisis of 2000 would have never happened without the semi deregulation written by the Cali CongressCritters. It was a classic case of Unintended Consequences due to an abysmal lack of knowledge about Electricity and Energy markets.

Cali deregulated the Wholesale Markets, but imposed a price Cap on the Retail sellers. The partial deregulation legislation instituted in 1996 by Governor Pete Wilson and ended up costing the State of California between $40 and $45 Billion dollars.

When electricity wholesale prices exceeded retail prices, end user demand was unaffected, but the incumbent utility companies still had to purchase power, albeit at a loss. This allowed independent producers to manipulate prices in the electricity market by withholding electricity generation, arbitraging the price between internal generation and imported (interstate) power, and causing artificial transmission constraints. This was a procedure referred to as "gaming the market."

California law made it more profitable (and possible) for Energy companies to manipulate the market than to build/operate power plants. California already had a weak energy infrastructure - this was a recipe for disaster from the beginning.

Energy policy and delivery is complicated for most folks - those that know little about it have absolutely no business trying to "regulate" it. Take a good look at what happened in California in 2000-2001 and then take a look at what the US Energy Department and the EPA are doing today with their new "regulations". They don't seem to understand that Electricity can't be stored - it's point of sale at the going rate ..... or do without.

Quote:
The Trouble With Electricity Markets: Understanding California’s Restructuring Disaster

In nearly all electricity markets, demand is difficult to forecast and is almost completely insensitive to price fluctuations, while supply faces binding constraints at peak times, and storage is prohibitively costly.
Under new regulation rules from the EPA, power plants are shutting down in the Eastern part of the USA - the EPA is convinced that the lack of this power generation won't effect the power grid at all. California was convinced that their Partial DeRegulation would lower energy costs.

Lisa Jackson's Power Play
Harming the economy, degrading the U.S. grid: another day at the EPA. December 16, 2011 - Wall Street Journal

Combine the Maximum Achievable Control Technology Rule (MACT rule) with the July 2011 Cross State Transport Rule ..... we have a lot of trouble and high prices coming our way. SOON The new Cross State Transport rule kicks in on January 1, 2012 ..... pretty fast (impossible) compliance period.

I'm not a giant fan of Carbon based fuels and energy, I want cleaner fuels and energy - at least I understand enough to know that you can't force unreliable technology by removing the technology we depend on now. The EPA and Oministration doesn't "get" that.

Does your State lose power plants? Mine does.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:35 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
California re-elected Jerry Brown. That should tell it all.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:38 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
It is true. I am the Texan that started our economic downfall.

How well I remember! It was a chilly evening, in March of ought-seven. I was having my third glass of Lone Star beer in a honky-tonk located off Jacksboro Highway. Then, SHE walked in, beautiful, yet a hot breeze from Hell followed her.

Yada, yada yada.

Anyone, the penicillin shot did good for me, but Enron collapsed within weeks.

I am sorry.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:54 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Yup..........

Old 12-26-2011, 03:20 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
So...how are things back East?

Old 12-26-2011, 03:54 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Well since Bush was prez and from Texas and now that Rick Perry put his hat in the libs have blamed about everything on Texas. Only thing I hate from Texas are the Cowboys. Always have always will!!!

Old 12-26-2011, 03:55 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Yup..........
"Damned Yankee Land". Thats funny.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:00 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well since Bush was prez and from Texas and now that Rick Perry put his hat in the libs have blamed about everything on Texas. Only thing I hate from Texas are the Cowboys. Always have always will!!!
you mean the football team or the real ones?

Old 12-26-2011, 04:05 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
So I think between this thread and the other we can diagnose the problems of California. It wasn't the years of liberalism with politicians like Feinstein, Boxer, Pelosi, Willie Brown, Moonbeam Brown, etc. It wasn't the combo of having a high state income tax & high sales tax. It wasn't such crazy regulation that manufacturers had to have special California models of their products.

No it was a) Bush did it; b)Texas did it; c) prop 13, passed back in 1978 by anti-tax RW
ers caused big time problems that have kicked in just in the last decade or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies