Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Explorer View Post
Inevitably, anti-Semites and Israel-haters will jump into a thread like this. I just wish the moderators would be more vigilant.
How so? Really, the government of Israel is not interested in these antiquated ideas either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I think it is to our eternal credit that Jews are voicing their disgust at this problem. When was the last time Palestinians held a public debate over suicide bombers or the vile anti-Semitic hatred that pervades their community?
You're so right. I remember in NY Bloomberg supported their right to that mosque near the 911 ground and then they refuse to attend his interfaith breakfast because there are too many police around mosques and undercover in their congregations.

You'd think they would be happy to weed out the bad apples. It is a good thing that the the world recognizes that the Jewish people speak for fair treatment of all people. Maybe we fall short, but that is a worthy goal for all of us.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I would like the patriarchs of all these male dominated religions live together with all the other males without any women. That way they would be able to worship without "temptation" or distraction. These places were called monasteries.

The women would be welcome in my society if they wanted. There is always room for more women.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 PM

Clueless people. Their women work while the men study religion all day. This, they consider normal in some way.

“Their schools do not give them the skills to work in a modern economy and no training in civil or human rights or democracy,” Mr. Ben-David said.

“They don’t even know what we are talking about — what we want from them — when we talk about discrimination against women.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/wo...pagewanted=all

Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 AM

Default Israel police: A dozen extremist Jews attack woman hanging posters near Jerusalem

Israel police: A dozen extremist Jews attack woman hanging posters near Jerusalem* - NY Daily News

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld says about a dozen ultra-Orthodox men in the town of Beit Shemesh surrounded the woman on Tuesday, pelted her with stones and slashed her car's tires.

These guys don't learn. They are doing themselves more harm than good by their crazy actions. The former poster was right in that their actions seem so much to mirror those of Orthodox Muslims.

There is wisdom in the saying 'We become what we hate'.
(So, maybe they will come back as women in the next life?)
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 01-26-2012, 08:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I read the link and didn't read anything about women getting stoned to death or any "honor" killing threats. Nor did I read anything about anyone getting their hands or feet cut off; nor any beheadings. Doesn't sound like the same coin to me.

And I wish the U.S. would stay out of these matters. Different cultures have different "rules." If the people of a certain culture want to change it, then they must be the ones to do it, themselves.
I wish US c's would quit doing the same to women right in our own country.
You know they are.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
As angering as this story is I have to remind myself that it is their country and they live by their rules. It seems the majority of the Israeli public agrees that this is outrageous as they are protesting against it and politicians who usually give in to the religious block have said they went too far.

Does it anger the OP to know that Saudi women cannot drive and many women in the Muslim world cannot travel without male guardianship?
Withhold all US aid and suppprt, that might wake them up.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Withhold all US aid and support, that might wake them up.
Much wisdom in few words.

Any country that oppresses a whole class of people is certainly undeserved of our tax dollars.

I think one of the articles stated that initially these orthodox people were a very small minority so the Israeli government gave them a lot of benefits - but this enabled them to have very big families and now they are about one seventh (I think that's what was written) of the population.
Scary.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:19 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Ultra Orthodox should give you a clue. Just like Ultra orthodox anything. Panties in a wad for nothing.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:45 PM

Yes, but years back the orthodox of most denominations would keep to themselves and not try to push their beliefs on society at large.

I think there are many Orthodox Jews who don't believe in accepting government monies, so beliefs among the orthodox groups may differ.

Now we have the uprising of fundie Christians in the US and these Orthodox people in Israel, and there are always our 'friends' the O Muslims to consider.

I think it is all these fundamentalists who are trying to ruin the world for the greater population, not to mention the backlash against all religion in some circles. What caused this? Something in the air?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies