Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 08:16 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
If homosexuals would quietly live their lives, the "homophobes" would disappear into the woodwork.
Do heterosexuals live quietly? Not really. Go to any bar, spring break, mardi gras party, locker room, military, etc. and you'll hear endless obscene discussion and displays of the heterosexual lifestyle.

Quote:
How often do heterosexuals band together and demonstrate in the streets?
Why would heterosexuals need to do that, since they aren't marginalized? Women and blacks marched in the streets too.

Quote:
Anyone that makes a public spectacle of themselves may expect to find someone that disagrees.
Change doesn't happen to those who hide and let people walk all over them. Women didn't sit back, blacks didn't sit back, gays most certainly aren't.

Quote:
It really does not matter if it's a "lifestyle", politics, religion, or what. The way not to invite criticism is to keep your thoughts to yourself. If I were to go out in public and declare that I have 4 wives, 2 concubines, and engaged to another woman, I'd bring out as much opposition as homosexuals do, without being homosexual myself. They are the ones that call attention to themselves, then expect everyone else to sit quietly, not have an opinion (which every person does), and not say anything. If I were to go public with my own beliefs, I'd raise all kinds of opposition, but I'm comfortable with it, and as long as I do not need public approval, no one is any the wiser. Nothing is said.
How does one bring their issues to public awareness if they aren't public about it? Gays for most of American history had to hide, because they would be arrested, beaten up, and/or killed. Now that society is changing, and gays are becoming more accepted, they can be more open and bring their issues to the forefront of politics. The only reason it bothers you is because it's uncommon, and therefore seems offensive.

Quote:
If they need public approval, they are not comfortable with it themselves, and apparently it isn't right for them either. I know homosexuals that are comfortable with their relationships, they don't flaunt it any more than I do mine, and don't seem to have any problems. Also, "gay" is a severe MISUSE of a term for happiness. I also know homosexuals that are far from happy.
Why did women or blacks need public approval? I guess black people aren't comfortable in their own skin, and women weren't comfortable being house wives and baby making machines with no rights, while being owned by their husbands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
America is full of homophobes, those who openly declare their hatred for gays and those who keep it subtle, like in the closet.
Homophobes can smear gays with any epithets they desire, they will be defended. If homophobes are criticized they bristle with anger and indignation, such as 'how dare you criticize our righteousness!'
So why is this? Is homophobia a cherished American Family Value? Is hatred a cherished American Family Value? Maybe it is. Is a homophobe the ideal American citizen? The role model for others?
Why is that that homophobes regard gays as people with mental problems, but homophobia is not considered a mental problem?
I am not gay, but I'm not a homophobe either.

Are you a homophobe? I often hear the most vocal people like you claim that "they are not gay" but often rationalize their anti-gay behavior by claiming just the opposite.

SO, what say you Visvaldis? Why do you hate gays?

Old 12-31-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Do heterosexuals live quietly? Not really. Go to any bar, spring break, mardi gras party, locker room, military, etc. and you'll hear endless obscene discussion and displays of the heterosexual lifestyle.

Why would heterosexuals need to do that, since they aren't marginalized? Women and blacks marched in the streets too.

Change doesn't happen to those who hide and let people walk all over them. Women didn't sit back, blacks didn't sit back, gays most certainly aren't.

How does one bring their issues to public awareness if they aren't public about it? Gays for most of American history had to hide, because they would be arrested, beaten up, and/or killed. Now that society is changing, and gays are becoming more accepted, they can be more open and bring their issues to the forefront of politics. The only reason it bothers you is because it's uncommon, and therefore seems offensive.

Why did women or blacks need public approval? I guess black people aren't comfortable in their own skin, and women weren't comfortable being house wives and baby making machines with no rights, while being owned by their husbands.
This entire post is full of.... Oh, never mind.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Homophobe right here folks.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Homophobe right here folks.
How am I a homophobe?

Old 12-31-2011, 10:07 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,797 times
I disagree with the OP. I am straight, but support gay marriage or at least some sort of civil union. I don't watch much TV, but when I do there is a gay person on damn near every one. Ellen, Rosie, Cynthia Nixon, and other gays have had succesful careers. Hollywood clearly supports the gay culture. Look, you're never gonna get everybody to support everything. Hell there's men out there, (mostly from my grandparent's generation), that still think a woman's place is in the home

Old 12-31-2011, 10:14 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,333 times
Quote:
And 1st degree murder carries a stronger penalty than 2nd degree murder, manslaughter, depraved heart murder etc.

All our of laws have a mental intent requirement and the reason for a particular criminal act is always a factor.
You're full of crap. A guy who plots an assassination is not the same as one who runs down some poor slob in the street due to negligence. They are both crimes but not the same crime. The BS you're selling suggests that the life and civil rights of a homosexual is of more value. That is pure crap. Protected Class.

So, if you were running the world and a gay was murdered, how many heterosexuals would you line up in the street and execute each day till the perpetrator was turned in?

Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Happy new year. Sorry u r having a hard time getting along with the rest of the world, Islam and Judeochristian being a large part of that world.
Lets give it a rest for a few hours and see in the new year ok?

Old 12-31-2011, 11:16 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
You're full of crap. A guy who plots an assassination is not the same as one who runs down some poor slob in the street due to negligence. They are both crimes but not the same crime. The BS you're selling suggests that the life and civil rights of a homosexual is of more value. That is pure crap. Protected Class.
It's obvious that you lack even a basic education on how "the law works"... and misunderstand what a "protected class" means.

See, a "protected class" is the ENTIRE class: Race, religion, sexuality. Hate crime laws do not just protect a minority against a majority.

This means that if a roving gang of gays started targeting and beating up or murdering straight people based on their (the victim's) sexuality.... then that would be a hate crime based on SEXUALITY. Gay, straight, bisexual, anything inbetween. The law applies EQUALLY, as anyone targeted based on a protected CLASS designation can receive the benefit.

Just like RACE is a protected class, not just black people, or Asians. White people can and do sue and win for discrimination. White people who are targeted because of their race are also the beneficiaries of hate crime laws that add additional penalties because of race motivated crimes.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I disagree with the OP. I am straight, but support gay marriage or at least some sort of civil union. I don't watch much TV, but when I do there is a gay person on damn near every one. Ellen, Rosie, Cynthia Nixon, and other gays have had succesful careers. Hollywood clearly supports the gay culture. Look, you're never gonna get everybody to support everything. Hell there's men out there, (mostly from my grandparent's generation), that still think a woman's place is in the home
The bolded is not true. In fact, being openly gay in hollywood usually means an end to your career. Film/TV, while having some gay characters (I don't see that many honestly), is still very anti-gay when it comes to actors. Gay male actors are rarely capable of maintaining or reaching the status of Leading man, which is why so many of them hide it, sometimes through elaborate PR stunts, or female friends photographed with them to make them seem straight. There is a current gay actor as the lead of a major network Television show who has not admitted it, because it would damage the show and his career.

Theatre is really the only avenue you can be open and no one cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies