Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Anymore? TSA and North Carolina Department of Transportation have been at it for over three years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
To date the TSA has not stopped terrorist attacks, in fact, they have failed to do so (see underwear bomber & shoe bomber).
What has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 08:50 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Default TSA screenings aren't just for airports anymore

Terror groups have announced that passenger trains are one of their targets. That attack in Madrid several years ago killed hundreds.

2004 Madrid train bombings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I wonder how effective the TSA would be in thwarting one here.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:53 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
about as effective as a sack of wet blankets. TSA is just theater if you ask me... the real counter-terrorism is handled by state, local and federal law enforcement.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:57 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
It would be nice if we could see the entire article. I'm not a huge fan of TSA myself, but the comments seem to be in response to something that might have been taken a little bit out of its original context.

As for the criticisms of TSA, they are likely not, and I doubt they have ever been, thought of as an organization that can actually thwart an Al Qaida style operation that's in its final hot phase. Rather, the goal of TSA was to add a visible, tangible, and systematic layer of security that would make it a lot harder for guys like Mohammed Atta (9/11 hijacker) to breeze through the airport uncontested. To that end, I think they've accomplished that goal to a large degree, although it has not been without its obvious controversies.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Evil, or installing a police state? It would seem law abiding US citizens are being conditioned to accept a police presence that was not even in East Germany.

Yet, the sheeple are so very willing to give up liberty for a false sense of security. It makes me sick.
It makes me sad to see my country becoming another North Korea...

What makes it even worse is most Americans don't care, as long as they have their iPads, pot and a government that pays them to do nothing...

Old 12-27-2011, 09:05 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
>conditioned to accept a police presence that was not even in East Germany<

Not hostile to the OP but this statement borders on crazy. Look for stories about what the West Germans found in secret police files in E Germany ca 1990.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It would be nice if we could see the entire article. I'm not a huge fan of TSA myself, but the comments seem to be in response to something that might have been taken a little bit out of its original context.
I posted the entire article, what's missing?

Old 12-27-2011, 09:09 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
It makes me sad to see my country becoming another North Korea...

What makes it even worse is most Americans don't care, as long as they have their iPads, pot and a government that pays them to do nothing...
Agreed. Our culture has been effectively dumbed down. This time of year peole are more interesterd in Bowl Games and "reality TV" than in the primaries or what is happening on Capitol Hill which directly impacts their freedoms.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:10 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It would be nice if we could see the entire article...
Click on the link in the OP!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>conditioned to accept a police presence that was not even in East Germany<

Not hostile to the OP but this statement borders on crazy. Look for stories about what the West Germans found in secret police files in E Germany ca 1990.
~ Do air travelers care anymore that they either get groped or nudie scans are taken of them?

~ Do they care anymore that the government can break down their front door and search their house without a search warrant?

~ Do they care everything they do on the Internet is saved somewhere and can be used against them?

~ Do they care that government roadblocks are set up to stop and check all traffic?

~ Do they care that forced taking of blood samples is becoming more common on American roads by police?

It doesn't take a deaf dumb and blind person to see what America has become...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies