Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:29 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times

Advertisements

With all the white noise in the news the militarization of local police has slipped by the public largely unnoticed. No longer can the public allow themselves to believe that the police in full combat battle gear are there to protect them.

Sooner or later the "Schutzstaffel" factor will come out to control the people by force.

"The militarization of America’s metropolitan police forces was on full display in recent months as police from Los Angeles to New York cracked down on Occupy protests, decked out in full SWAT gear and occasionally using strange pieces of military hardware."

How the Feds Fueled the Militarization of Police | | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 06:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
It was not a secret that DHS was allocated money for local law enforcement training.
Thank the DHS for bringing the military to our front yards.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:42 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
This has really been a dramatic change in this country during my lifetime. I'm in my 50's and as a kide there was no such thing as SWAT. Now even patrol officers have buzz cuts, wraparound sunglasses, and an AR-15 in the trunk. I don't begrudge them the firepower they need to defend themselves, but somehow it needs to be made crystal-clear to them that they are not an occupying army.

I expect that with so many troops returning from Iraq, naturally many of them will turn to what they think they know, and will go into law enforcement. No wonder the gov't needs so many domestic 'wars'--war on drugs, war on tobacco, war on prostitution, war on obesity, etc.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:56 AM

You have full gear swat teams and helicopters raiding dairy farms because they are selling raw milk.
Think about that....this is not some type of Branch Davidian cult full of armed-to-the gills extremists.
These are hobby farms who milk a few cows and sell the milk, legally I might add, to other individuals.

This is what you want ? Like it or not this is what is happening.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:57 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This has really been a dramatic change in this country during my lifetime. I'm in my 50's and as a kide there was no such thing as SWAT. Now even patrol officers have buzz cuts, wraparound sunglasses, and an AR-15 in the trunk. I don't begrudge them the firepower they need to defend themselves, but somehow it needs to be made crystal-clear to them that they are not an occupying army.

I expect that with so many troops returning from Iraq, naturally many of them will turn to what they think they know, and will go into law enforcement. No wonder the gov't needs so many domestic 'wars'--war on drugs, war on tobacco, war on prostitution, war on obesity, etc.
On the flip side, the Riverside, CA Sheriff's Department outfitted their officers in blazers and slacks back in the 60's or 70's, instead of "military style" uniforms, but quickly had to back off that as nobody took them seriously.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
On the flip side, the Riverside, CA Sheriff's Department outfitted their officers in blazers and slacks back in the 60's or 70's, instead of "military style" uniforms, but quickly had to back off that as nobody took them seriously.
After reading your post it got me thinking. Maybe that is what it takes today for the police to be taken seriously. Maybe people don't fear/respect the law as much as they used to. Maybe seeing the police appear as military makes people stop and think now.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
After reading your post it got me thinking. Maybe that is what it takes today for the police to be taken seriously. Maybe people don't fear/respect the law as much as they used to. Maybe seeing the police appear as military makes people stop and think now.
Are you kidding? American's never have paid much attention to the law and rarely have held cops in any kind of esteem. It's part of our culture to flaunt the rules and try to avoid responsibility for doing so.

Heck, even a former President (Andrew Jackson) thumbed his nose at the Supreme Court and remarked, "Justice Marshall has made his ruling....now let him enforce it," when the Court ruled against Indian removal.

Nothing has changed since then.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It was not a secret that DHS was allocated money for local law enforcement training.
Thank the DHS for bringing the military to our front yards.
Actually, the military training civilian law enforcement has existed long before DHS was ever conceived under the pretext of the War on Drugs.

See Public Law 100-456 (1988), Division A, Title XI, Section 1104 - Enhanced drug interdiction and law enforcement assistance by the Department of Defense.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I remember reading an article about an FBI agent from the 1930's named "Jelly Bryce." Bryce was known for his incredible shooting prowess and thus was often chosen to apprehend 'most wanted' criminals. He always wore a suit and tie. They took him seriously. I'm not saying that cops should be required to wear suits & ties, just that times have changed, and I'm not sure that it's a change for the better.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, the military training civilian law enforcement has existed long before DHS was ever conceived under the pretext of the War on Drugs.

See Public Law 100-456 (1988), Division A, Title XI, Section 1104 - Enhanced drug interdiction and law enforcement assistance by the Department of Defense.
But under DHS they got lots of money for military toys.
Not so much under the war on drugs but lots of extras in this war on terror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies