Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Right. Feed 'em pizza and twinkies every day! Actually, it would probably be easier for big corporations to control "the whole thing" under your plan.
They already have pizza everyday..the express lunch line. When was the last time you were in a school cafeteria ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 03:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They already have pizza everyday..the express lunch line. When was the last time you were in a school cafeteria ?
Knock off the snark! Is the express line "competitive food" or the SLP food? Our district does prepare pizza sometimes, but I think you can get my drift, if you weren't out to be snarky.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Underfunded FDA by Congress results in tainted antibiotic resistant meat sold in US:

Bacteria 1, F.D.A. 0 - NYTimes.com
If they would not raise beef under HORRIFIC conditions that require MASSIVE amounts of antibiotics to keep the cattle alive until slaughter, we would not be having these issues. The FDA should be requiring beef producers to raise healthy cattle instead of sick, pus-filled ones that require medical treatment.

Anyone who eats this kind of horrible, diseased meat is a fool. Yes it costs more to buy grass-fed locally raised beef, but it's OUR health that we are talking about.

Until we demand a change in the methods that factory farms use, this is not going to change. Even if we have 10,000 FDA inspectors. Which is a joke in itself because the FDA is more concerned with prosecuting family farms than inspecting the mega giant meat producing companies that supply our food.

Wake up people. Jesus.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-11-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Knock off the snark! Is the express line "competitive food" or the SLP food? Our district does prepare pizza sometimes, but I think you can get my drift, if you weren't out to be snarky.
Snarky ?? I wasn't being short tempered at all.
I certainly hit a sore point with you though.

You said "pizza and twinkies" like everyone is an idiot when it comes to a program and only the government knows best ?

Old 01-11-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If they would not raise beef under HORRIFIC conditions that require MASSIVE amounts of antibiotics to keep the cattle alive until slaughter, we would not be having these issues. The FDA should be requiring beef producers to raise healthy cattle instead of sick, pus-filled ones that require medical treatment.

Anyone who eats this kind of horrible, diseased meat is a fool. Yes it costs more to buy grass-fed locally raised beef, but it's OUR health that we are talking about.

Until we demand a change in the methods that factory farms use, this is not going to change. Even if we have 10,000 FDA inspectors. Which is a joke in itself because the FDA is more concerned with prosecuting family farms than inspecting the mega giant meat producing companies that supply our food.

Wake up people. Jesus.

20yrsinBranson
You cannot demand change if you don't know what goes on.
All people see is the pretty pink cuts of meat in the supermarket.
That's where it begins and ends with them.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:06 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Some government control is good....however with what they are allowing monsanto to get away with is concerning to say the very least.
I agree with you on that one! Especially now that there is evidence that GMO food DOES pose health risks to humans.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Snarky ?? I wasn't being short tempered at all.
I certainly hit a sore point with you though.

You said "pizza and twinkies" like everyone is an idiot when it comes to a program and only the government knows best ?
Please do not put words in my mouth. You'd have to be living under a rock not to be aware of the childhood obesity problem. I have no problem with a standard lunch, e.g. so much fruit, protein, bread, fat, etc.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:12 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Not in all cases. And what is different about nutrition in 'the several states'? In other words, how is nutrition different in say, Pennsylvania and Colorado?

Controversy Swirls Around Harsh Anti-Obesity Ads : NPR
Fighting Childhood Obesity: It's A Family Affair : Shots - Health Blog : NPR
Childhood Obesity Goes Beyond Food And Exercise : NPR

Plus much, much more!
So, you don't trust parents with their own kids nutrition?

Old 01-11-2012, 04:15 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Oh, wait. Let's return to the days before the FDA when meat processor's sold putrid meat from long dead cows, there was more "maple syrup" sold than New England produced, rotten vegetables were the norm (the consumer just cut off the waste), people died regularly from food poisoning and nobody gave much of a damn because the motto was "let the customer beware."

You know...the FDA wasn't invented in a vacuum. It was created to address some very, very serious issues in our food supply, issues which were killing people every day because profit took priority over health and public safety.

Go re-read "The Jungle," by Upton Sinclair and see if you REALLY want to do without an FDA again.

That was 100 years ago. Consumers have many more weapons today than then.

I seriously doubt that any company would stay in business very long at all if they sold putrid meat, etc.

Food companies compete for customers. Customers demand decent products, with or without the help of the government.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:16 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Since we do NOT have anything resembling "small government" the thread title is intentionally misleading and a huge FAIL!

Try this one: Big Government, so inefficient and wasteful of funds FDA fails to protect food supply!
Conversely, "FDA doesn't have enough money to protect everything like it's supposed to."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies