Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
At this point it would be limited to an air war which Israel would dominate. Neither country has the logistics needed for a land war. If it went nuclear, all bets are off.
If it went Nuclear, it would be pretty one sided. I very much doubt Israel would take that step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 11:57 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
I knew that once the war in Iraq was considered done that something else would rise up to take its place. Perpetual war for perpetual profit.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:57 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I very much doubt Israel would take that step.
No, it wouldn't be Israel.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:02 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Are you for or against this war?
Ignoring the legal, moral or ethical implications, you have to decide what kind of economic future you want for America:

Perennial 20% unemployment or perennial 9% unemployment.

Choose wisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Only Paul would put a stop to these neocons from using our tax dollars and soldiers lives to further Israel's strategic interests.
You might want to actually read the US Constitution. Paul wouldn't do anything to prevent it. If necessary, his hand would be forced.

Quote:
So, are they going to seize all US assets in Iran? Of which there are...none. How can they hurt us economicaly?
They can sell oil in basket currencies at the Kish Island Exchange. I guess it never donned on you that each and every time Iran has announced an oil bourse, and threatened to sell oil and natural gas in Euros or currencies other than US Dollars, the US has falsely screamed, "Nukes!" and Israel has threatened to attack.

If I had a dollar for every time Israel has threatened to attack Iran over the last 6 years, I could actually afford to go to one of Obama's $10,000 a plate campaign fund raisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
LOL! And what would you propose that we do about Iran -- because complaining on a message board, that is.
Well, Blow Job Bill apologized for the US' three failed attempts at murdering Prime Minister Massadeq in cold blood, but the US should offer financial compensation to his family.

The US should also pay $1 Million to the families of the hundreds of thousands of Iranians who were kidnapped, wrongfully imprisoned and tortured and also to those who were murdered.

The US (along with the Brits) can pay Iran fair market value for the oil (and other resources) it stole.

The US can compensate Iran for the destroyers and other ships the US sank during the Iraq-Iran War.

The US can pay reparations to Iran for the US role in the Iraq-Iran War.

The US can apologize to Khomeini for stabbing him in the back.

The US can apologize and pay damages for attempting to initiate a military coup in Iran in 1979.

That's just a few of the things the US can do. I'm absolutely certain that if another country treated the US government and its citizens the way the US treated Iran and Iranians, you all would be screaming bloody murder and demanding to be compensated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Saudis announced they will make up for any loss to supply if Iranians start playing games.
Iran produces 4 Million barrels per day.

The Saudis are going to increase production from 9 Million barrels per day to 13 Million barrels per day?

Really?

When, in the year 2025?

I've mentioned before you aren't the most competent person when it comes to "things oil."

No doubt you failed to read the 2005 House Energy and Commerce Committee report on "peak oil." Had you done so, you would have read the testimony of al-Hussein, the former vice president of operations for Saudi Aramco, and you would have noted that he stated repeatedly that the Saudis would be unable to meet the production demands of the US EIA (Energy Information Administration).

Quote:
Saudi Aramco says that production can be increased to 12.5 mbpd in 2015. They plan a new pipeline with a capacity of 2.5 mbpd, so it looks like they are willing to increase production to 12.5 mbpd, but so far there are no signs of reaching 22 mbpd
That was 2005. The Saudis have since awarded a contract to Russia to build that pipeline, which should be completed in 2015, and which will be moving oil south to sub-Saharan Africa so that BRIC can develop it, since the US won't and would rather steal everything from their Little Brown Brothers rather than help them.

So once that oil starts moving sub-Saharan Africa, another 3 Million jobs will permanently flee the US.

Good news.

Quote:
The only military action between the US and Iran was when our navy shot down an Iran Air 737 passenger jet.
No, the US sank most of Iran's navy during the closing part of the Iraq-Iran War, because Iran had driven the Iraqis back and was moving into Iraq.

Quote:
Having said that, if they actually follow through on their bombastic threat to blockade the Strait of Hormuz (I think it's just more posturing, bluff, and playing to the home crowd), that's an overt act of war and it will certainly begin at that point, God help us all.
It is not an "overt" act of war. It is Iran who owns the Strait of Hormuz under international law, not the US, and not any other countries in the world.

Under the Carter Doctrine (which people have disingenuously renamed as the Bush Doctrine), it would be considered an act of war by the US.

For those who aren't familiar with the Persian Gulf, the average depth of the Gulf is a mere 36 meters.

Near Bahrain and Qatar, and at the mouth of the Persian Gulf (where you enter the Strait of Hormuz) the depth is less than 20 meters.

As you approach the Strait heading south, the depth averages about 40 meters.

It would be very easy to sink a tanker, super-tanker or cargo carrier at either end of the Strait, and permanently block it, until the vessel was re-floated.

As a point of fact, Iran maintains about half a dozen to a dozen old tankers for the express purpose of towing them out and scuttling them to block the Strait. Salvage operations could not start until the area was secure, and it might take the US up to 12 months to hunt down and destroy all of the land-based mobile surface-to-surface anti-ship missile launchers that Iran has.

Given that your vaunted special forces, your satellites and your recon aircraft could only locate and destroy 10% of Iraq's SCUD missiles sitting out in flat wide-open desert plains/steppe country, I seriously doubt the US could locate and destroy more than 10% of Iran's launchers.

Good luck with that.

Quote:
If it went Nuclear, it would be pretty one sided. I very much doubt Israel would take that step.
Uh, well, it is monsoon season and the winds are blowing to the southwest. I guess it's a good thing Israelis are well-trained in civil defense so they can take precautions against fallout from their own nuclear weapons.

Israel would probably only kill 2 Million-3 Million of their own people trying to wipe out Iran, but I'm sure Yahweh god would approve.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:38 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I've mentioned before you aren't the most competent person when it comes to "things oil."
Yes, I have seen your childish chest pounding before, and you were proven wrong then as you are today.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:50 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
Some thoughts on action in Iran...

U.S., Israel Discuss Triggers for Bombing Iran

WOW!

You're a hawk when a dem is the POTUS but a dove when it's a republican!

I wish I could flip flop so easily.

Here's the left when Bush was POTUS...."War is NEVER the answer! Bush is a war criminal!"

Here's the left now with obama...."Look at how tough he is! Killing terror leaders left and right! Blow those Iranians out of the water!"

bob is obsessed by war!

Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

No, the US sank most of Iran's navy during the closing part of the Iraq-Iran War, because Iran had driven the Iraqis back and was moving into Iraq.

This was in response to Iran sinking US flagged tankers. We also hit some of their oil platforms.

It is not an "overt" act of war. It is Iran who owns the Strait of Hormuz under international law, not the US, and not any other countries in the world.

The islands seized by Iran's military in the strait are also claimed by the UAE. International law gives them "ownership" of the strait only out to 12 miles from their mainland. The strait is wider than that, and blockading it is absolutely an act of war.
Are you an Iranian by any chance? If the Iranians want to close the strait legaly, they will have to get the cooperation of Oman, whose nation has the legal right to the opposite coastal waters. Good luck with that.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:15 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,371 times
he needs to send moochelle over there to change their diet. Maybe they've been eating to much goat meat...

Old 12-28-2011, 11:05 PM

One of the reasons I support Ron Paul is that I fear a non-constitutional police state in America more than I fear a nuclear Iran. I believe this confrontation with Iran is being manufactured. We can't stop nuclear proliferation; the genie is out of the bottle. We can stop the takeover of the US government by those who would take away our freedom.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
This is nothing more than petrodollar warfare.
The US will NOT let it die at any cost..any cost.

Do you not understand that yet ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies