Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The middle class is suffering and Republicans want to cut taxes for the wealthy. Do you agree with t
Yes, the wealthy need more money and power. This will help America. 38 20.54%
No, the Republicans are dead wrong.This hasn't ever helped anyone but the wealthy and will continue to hurt the middle class. 147 79.46%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:04 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times

Advertisements

Let ALL of the Bush tax cuts expire. The wealthy would pay more in taxes.

Also, the bottom bracket (10%) would go up by half to 15%, every middle bracket would increase proportionately more than the top two brackets, and the child tax credit would go away. Ten million more households at the bottom would resume paying taxes again.

This is what repeal of ALL of the Bush Tax Cuts would mean.

If this all sounds harsh to you, I guess those evil Republicans and their Bush Tax Cuts actually benefitted the poor and middle class quite a bit.

The poll could have been designed more intelligently, by the way.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:05 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Wealth and income are not the same?
No, wealth and income are not the same.

Quote:
If you want to tax wealth, just ask for a 100% estate tax.
That is inefficient because it would only tax dead people and their heirs.

There are several ways to tax the rich -- a tax on financial transactions, a tax on net worth, or a higher tax on capital gains.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I didn't say WEALTH, I said MONEY.
There is a difference you know.
What are you referring to, their cash equivalents? Why would anyone just tax cash?

You need to be more specific about what you're talking about. "Money" can be interpreted many ways.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
well no sh*t

I pay 31.2% tax rate on my wages, while Warren Buffett pays a 15% tax rate on his investment income.
The 15% is capital gains and that is not "income", that is profit/loss made when you sell an investment which was done with already taxed money.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
These are dividends...
They are mostly capital gains.

Quote:
Several older Americans live off dividend income....
So what? Older americans live off dividend income, AND have social security and medicare that working people are paying for.

Younger Americans are trying to find jobs in a depressed labor market, and are paying FAR higher tax rates.

Quote:
A dividend rate of 15% helps spur capital investment and keeps money flowing into the now rigged/crooked stock market.
No, it doesn't. That's bullsh*t being fed to you. Capital gains are not more likely to be invested; it's all just income going to the household, the only difference is that some are wealthier than others. Dividend income and capital gains income are not inherently any more likely to be invested than wage income.

The less taxes I pay on my wages, the more I have to invest in the stock markets. It is no different than anyone else.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The 15% is capital gains and that is not "income"
bullsh*t, capital gains is investment income.

Quote:
that is profit/loss made when you sell an investment which was done with already taxed money.
so what if it was already taxed? my wages are taxed multiple times, too.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:12 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
They are mostly capital gains.
You are wrong.. Buffet NEVER sells his taxes, thus he's not subject to capital gains. He GIVES it away.

There is nothing stopping you from doing the exact same thing he does..
Quote:
so what if it was already taxed? my wages are taxed multiple times, too.
How is your wages taxed by you, multiple times?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan
You could take 100% of the rich's money and you will still have a tax burden.
Our debt is at $15 trillion.
I hear this all the time. The question is not should we confiscate all the wealth from the rich but should raising taxes on the rich be part of a solution to fiscal balance.

Taxing the rich a few percent more raises as much money as imposing harsh cuts to Medicare and Medicaid. Thus, those cuts can be avoided by raising taxes modestly.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I hear this all the time. The question is not should we confiscate all the wealth from the rich but should raising taxes on the rich be part of a solution to fiscal balance.

Taxing the rich a few percent more raises as much money as imposing harsh cuts to Medicare and Medicaid. Thus, those cuts can be avoided by raising taxes modestly.
Taxing the poor a few percentage points would raise far more tax revenues than the rich, considering there is so many more of them.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

What harsh cuts to medicare and medicaid are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies