Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The middle class is suffering and Republicans want to cut taxes for the wealthy. Do you agree with t
Yes, the wealthy need more money and power. This will help America. 38 20.54%
No, the Republicans are dead wrong.This hasn't ever helped anyone but the wealthy and will continue to hurt the middle class. 147 79.46%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:22 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
LOL... You can manipulate a net worth statement 1000's of different ways.
You can manipulate your income, too, and that's exactly what people do.

And yet, we still have income taxes.

Quote:
Guess it'll be time for me to quit making my house payments and let er go back to the bank because no way I can pay tax on my equity... jeez....
It's not my fault if you can't pay your taxes.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well this discussion is about the US. What do we care about taxes in other countries ?
It provides a model for other possibilities of how taxation can work.

Hell, the guy said, "You cannot tax wealth." I explained that you can, and named some countries that DO. Now y'all want to know, "what do these countries have to do with anything?"

Old 12-29-2011, 08:23 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Somebody had better tell that to Switzerland, France, Liechtenstein, the Netherlands, Norway, and India, because they tax wealth. Russia and the UK are debating the idea.
We are talking about the United States so the debate is restricted to OUR tax policy.

If someone wants to introduce an accumulated wealth tax then that would be a new discussion. Most wealth was already taxed when it was originally earned.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:24 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
I really think the probelm here is really the distribution of wealth and the unavailabilty to acheive it like before. The disparity of wealth has never been this great since the great depression. It is easy to blame the wealth as they get progessively wealthier each decade, meanwhile the poor have become worst due to the increased cost of living (medical, food and transportation). even those who are working are pretty much are doing it from paycheck to paycheck. In a sense they are just surviving.

When people realize that bankers and wall st have made billions off of the ignorance of the people with bad loans and mortages and got away scott free. This on top of it all we are all bickering over which party did what to whom, not understanding that because of a lack of understanding on how the financial (or political) process works we are pretty much helpless to prevent something that has been going on for years. The only exception this time is that it is on a gobal scale now and there is nowhere to hide. We all have no one to blame but ourselves, we spend so much time watching useless reality shows and sport events and have no idea how or who actually runs this country hint: the lobbist do. Whem the S.C let contributions to politicians go unlimited and unchecked that should have been the red flag for everyone, but instead most of us were too busy watching "Housewives of I don't give a damn" or "I wish that I was a basketball players wife" instead of protesting the ruling.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
You can manipulate your income, too, and that's exactly what people do.
Um, that would be fraud

Or are you telling me you dont want to stop being a hamburger flipper because you'd earn more and pay more in taxes?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
We are talking about the United States so the debate is restricted to OUR tax policy.

If someone wants to introduce an accumulated wealth tax then that would be a new discussion. Most wealth was already taxed when it was originally earned.
First you say we "can't tax wealth"

then when I show you that indeed, we can, you decide that it is off topic.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
No, wealth and income are not the same.

That is inefficient because it would only tax dead people and their heirs.

There are several ways to tax the rich -- a tax on financial transactions, a tax on net worth, or a higher tax on capital gains.
ALL OF THOSE TAXES JUST GET PASSED ON TO THE MIDDLE CLASS IN HIGH PRICES...

What is so confusing about this?

Why do you keep confusing the term wealth?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
First you say we "can't tax wealth"

then when I show you that indeed, we can, you decide that it is off topic.
What part of the Constitution, authorizes the taxing of wealth?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
[b]ALL OF THOSE TAXES JUST GET PASSED ON TO THE MIDDLE CLASS IN HIGH PRICES...
You work with some really bizarre tax theories.

High prices the middle class pays is due to fractional reserve banking / QE / bailouts, in a broad sense, the capital flows from the Fed to the private banking system. They do things like bid up the cost of commodities, or drain the value of the dollar with the carry trade, instead of using that capital to hire people.

Quote:
What is so confusing about this?
It's not confusing, it's just wrong.

Quote:
Why do you keep confusing the term wealth?
Pardon? Not sure if I understand your question.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
It's not my fault if you can't pay your taxes.

No... I pay taxes... a boat-load! I said, I wouldn't be able to pay the tax if you tax net worth... Do you even know what a net worth statement looks like? Every bit of equity in your home, the value of your cars, technically, it should even be the value of every one of your possessions is part of your net-worth.

But, I'll bet that you only want certain people taxed on net worth. Only those you feel should be taxed, cause we all know that it's not FAIR that we would dare tax the life-long welfare family down the street who's car is nicer than mine, because they can't "afford" the additional tax right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies