Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You can fund education well while not funding endless other things.

Look at Colorado and New Hampshire - low taxes, high income levels, high education levels, lots of freedom
New Hampshire does have one of the highest property tax rates (as it relates to % of income) in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
New Hampshire does have one of the highest property tax rates (as it relates to % of income) in the country.
And they have no state sales or income taxes.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:14 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
The problem with people fleeing blue states, which liberal governance has ruined, is some of these people continue to vote their ideology in the NEW state. Instead of learning their lesson about destructive democrat/liberal policies, instead of embracing an ideology and policies that have made Red states attractive, they will continue to vote for democrats/liberal, which just perpetuates the destruction.

Quote:
No income or sales tax though - what's the overall tax rate for the state?

Old 12-31-2011, 10:33 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Of the 17 donor states, Texas is the only red state, and the only one Obama lost. You have about 3 or 4 swing states, and all the rest are blue.
I think it has more to do with the geographic size of each state versus its population (there will be more natural disasters that federal funds are necessary to deal with and other things in large states regardless of population), how many people live in urban areas vs. rural areas in each state (rural areas will have a disproportionate amount of funding), where most military bases are located (remember they are primarily in red states), and average income in each state.

I don't think it has a lot to do with political ideology. You could argue that average income does but, when compared to cost of living, I think average incomes are likely pretty comparable around the country. Higher income/higher COL states are at a disadvantage because the amount of taxes paid on a certain income are the same from state to state, even if the purchasing power of that income is very different.

I suppose you could also argue that the fact that military bases are primarily in red states has to do with political ideology. That said, I don't think it's fair to consider military base spending when determining which states are donors and which states are recipients.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 12-31-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
My state of WA is in the process of redistricting, after gaining one seat in the US House per the 2010 US census. I ran across this excellent interactive map from the New York Times that shows which states gained and lost seats.
Which States Will Gain or Lose Seats in Congress - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

Overall the trend seems to be pretty clear: red states gained population, and blue states lost. There are exceptions of course, and some states are really more purple than red or blue, but I'm talking overall here.

Texas gained by far the most--4 additional seats. Florida also up 2; NY and Ohio lost 2. The others all either gained or lost just 1. Just a seat of pants analysis, all I have time for right now, I see 8 seats gained in red states, 4 blue. I thought NV was purple but I checked, and they voted 55-43 for Obama. Among loser states (so to speak) I see two red (LA and MO) and 10 blue. I don't know this, but I would bet that the pop losses of LA and MO were largely from the blue urban areas of STL, and NO.

And it looks like Rick Perry must have done something right after all.

Edit: I thought Florida was red, but it did go for Obama in 2008. Even so I would call it more red than blue. They did elect Rubio in 2010 after all. Still I changed my numbers to reflect FL as blue.
Which States Will Gain or Lose Seats in Congress - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

I'm a Indie and who really cares about this sort of info anyways , the repub's are in office for X amount of years and the Dem's are in office X amount of years it runs in cycles.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Texas is a donor state.

And many blue states are recipient states.

The Tax Foundation - Federal Spending Received Per Dollar of Taxes Paid by State, 2005
Texas is next to last as a Donor State , and many more Blue States are Donor States as opposed to Red States......
The Tax Foundation - Federal Spending Received Per Dollar of Taxes Paid by State, 2005

Old 01-06-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
California is not welcoming to black entrepreneurs.

That is why Ebony Magazine consistently ranks Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas as "best place to live" for black folks. Southerners are more comfortable around African Americans, and vice versa, than Californians even if they are conservative.

Diversity in Silicon Valley: Tech companies keep data secret - Nov. 9, 2011
Houston , Dallas and Atlanta are all Dem........Cities....

Old 01-06-2012, 10:51 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I would LOVE it if people moved to the red states and stayed out of my state. We have too many people moving here, especially from Texas. It's disgusting. If Texas is so great, why don't they stay there? I would be perfectly happy if the West Coast state became our own country or if the South did as Rick Perry said and seceded.
And I would love it if fringe extreme liberals (such as yourself) would exile yourself to an island somewhere and stop ruining one of the great cities in this country in Seattle. Seriously, the change in mindset in this city over the last dozen years or so as San Franciscans and extreme whackjob liberals moved up here trying to escape whatever "persecution" they were feeling (or a city falling apart at the seams due to bad liberal policies ala San Francisco) is astounding. This town used to be very much an "everybody do your own thing" kind of place and was ridiculously prosperous for it. Now there's a very loud, vocal minority of people such as yourself that wants to try and dictate that everybody else go along with whacked out policies. It's no wonder the city went from one of the world's ultimate living destinations to being someplace with bad infrastructure that people just "kinda like" since 2000. You've all gotten so out of hand that a second metropolitan area sprang up across Lake Washington in Bellevue as rational people fled to escape the idiotic mindset. You aren't aware of this because you haven't been here long enough, but not too far back, the tallest building in Bellevue was the old Paccar building, which is now dwarfed by skyscrapers as a second skyline formed outside the reach of all the extremists such as yourself that infested Seattle and started ruining it.

Looks like neither one of us are going to get what we want.

Last edited by Xanathos; 01-06-2012 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 01-06-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So you only have to look up to the new Devon Tower in Oklahoma City to prove to everyone how Oklahoma really sucks?
Yeah Oklahoma is really Baja Texas , and has been having break out years since 2010 in their's two largest urban centers OKC and Tulsa...
...believe this or not Oklahoma has a lot of World Class Attractions worth people from Texas driving >>>>to.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies