Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,012,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
This Missouri native really wants to hear why you think there is some agenda afoot.
Its true, below US 60 is considered the south.
U.S. Route 60 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL! Down here, we laugh when people call Alton and Belleville "Southern Illinois."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 05:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
LOL! Down here, we laugh when people call Alton and Belleville "Southern Illinois."
Hmmmm, then whats Cairo?
Alabama, for crying out loud?

Old 01-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm, then whats Cairo?
Alabama, for crying out loud?

No, Cairo is definitely part of Little Egypt.

Southern Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
No, Cairo is definitely part of Little Egypt.

Southern Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know, I know, I just had to say that from the wonder that anyone would even think about Belleville and Alton being Southern IL.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I know, I know, I just had to say that from the wonder that anyone would even think about Belleville and Alton being Southern IL.

Yep...SI is terra incognita for most people. It's never been easy to live "in the belly of the beast," so to speak. And you know what I mean!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Yep...SI is terra incognita for most people. It's never been easy to live "in the belly of the beast," so to speak. And you know what I mean!
Absofreakinglutely!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Liberals! They **** up there state, by turning it blue, putting it into debt, making it impossible to run a business or live in safety, and then they flee the mess they made of things, and move into a red state... and they slowly ruin that state too. Liberals are a plague.
Now, now! Have some compassion. Surely at least some of them are sorry for the mess they made with their liberal ways and are moving to the Freedom-loving, smart States for the proper reasons.

I actually believe that with the push into red states it is for the same reasons that when BO won election the sales of firearms skyrocketed, as did bullets. Folks "see the handwriting" on the proverbial wall and are moving to the states that they are going to feel safer in.

Move to Texas where one can conceal-carry, and have a right to use deadly force if self, loved-ones or property is threatened. In other words are allowed to use good 'ole, American Common sense to live.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 343 times
Or it could mean that they wish to change the states they are invading since they disagree with the states they are moving to after having successfully ruined (to them fixed) the states they are leaving. It is one of the largest disadvantages of being able to move freely from one state to another and register to vote upon getting there.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:27 PM

1,268 posts, read 797,822 times
Is it possible that the blue states have more compact cities with greater competition for housing and employment? Most of the southern states have an abundance of undeveloped land and resources. The northern states have been industrialized for a much longer time period. The south was an agrarian culture, and they continue to boast large land parcels evidenced by suburban sprawl.

Economics 101 teaches that resource availability heavily factors into business production. A smart business owner is going to choose the location that can provide the best blend of readily available human and physical resources. For reference, compare operating space expenses in New York City or Washington, DC to Atlanta or Charlotte. If you did not need to be located in the more dense areas because of delivery costs or specific market need, it would be more practical to locate in the less dense area. Jobs bring population, so in the future as long as growth continues, it will even out--regardless of politics.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:08 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Now, now! Have some compassion. Surely at least some of them are sorry for the mess they made with their liberal ways and are moving to the Freedom-loving, smart States for the proper reasons.

I actually believe that with the push into red states it is for the same reasons that when BO won election the sales of firearms skyrocketed, as did bullets. Folks "see the handwriting" on the proverbial wall and are moving to the states that they are going to feel safer in.

Move to Texas where one can conceal-carry, and have a right to use deadly force if self, loved-ones or property is threatened. In other words are allowed to use good 'ole, American Common sense to live.
I think it is extremely unlikely that people move from one state to another state directly because of political philosophy. It's far more likely that they move because of an employment opportunity or for tax reasons.

Blue->red migration is probably going to be the trend for the foreseeable future. As industry eclipsed agriculture we saw mass migration from rural areas to urban areas. An urban area offers more opportunity for business due to more customers in a smaller area, and more business offers more opportunity for employment, creating a cycle of development. However, eventually the development peaks, the market gets saturated and the cost of living rises to prohibitive levels, and the flow of business and people reverses.

So as existing heavily industrialized and urbanized blue areas reach a plateau of development, we are going to see people and business begin to exploit new opportunities elsewhere, in the less developed red areas. While I am a conservative so I could be one of the people cheerleading this trend as a victory for my politics, I really think it's more about market forces than it is about politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies