Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:09 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Out of curiosity, did any of you actually read the NYT article? Because I did, and it's actually quite complimentary of Southern cuisine, and talks about the food-to-table movement, and the Southern revival.

Southern Farmers Vanquish the Cliches
It took all of 10 seconds to scan the article. You are correct of course. Faux outrage strikes again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:09 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Could it be any other newspaper but The New York Times? --no--
Another lie brought to you by Fox news, the Sarah Palin of the news industry.

The real story from the New York Times actually praises southern food and states that the cliches are false

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/di...r=2&ref=dining

Quote:
Southern Farmers Vanquish the Clichés

Today, purists believe, Southern cooking is too often represented by its worst elements: feedlot hams, cheap fried chicken and chains like Cracker Barrel.

“My mother didn’t cook like that, and my grandmother didn’t cook like that,” Mr. DeFelice said. “And if you want to come down here and talk about shrimp and grits, well, we’re tired of that, too. Southern cooking is a lot more interesting than people think.”

Old 12-28-2011, 07:11 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

The real story from the New York Times actually praises southern food and states that the cliches are false

Beatcha to it.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Could it be any other newspaper but The New York Times? --no--

NYT: Southern Food is Undignified | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Hipsters vs normal people:

In New York City, they eat boiled animal tongues. In the South we use our tongues for licking our fingers.

Southerners eat buttermilk biscuits and sip frosty glasses of sweet tea. New Yorkers nosh bagels and drink seltzer water.

New Yorkers eat fermented soy and tuna tartar – while folks in Tennessee eat fried catfish – with tarter sauce.
It would be nice if all southern states could place an embargo on New York. This would include Texas with oil, let them power their cars with solar panels.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:

Yup, as the article says, the chef's food that no-one could stomach in the south moved north because they knew the hipsters would love it...

That's why it's called "New Southern Cuisine" - has that certain hipster appeal does it not?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 PM

515 posts, read 716,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Project much?

There is no city in the south that can compare to New York on a food level. New York has everything, plain and simple. The southern food is pretty simplistic and kinda repetitive. You have BBQ and other related things. New York City has that and more. It has everything from all cultures around the world. You do not have such a city in the south.

This is the third thread that will result in a red vs blue state flame war regarding an issue and it was started by a southern.

Seriously southerners are you guys trying to compensate for something?
Perhaps you have never heard of New Orleans...lauded throughout the world for its restaurants and distinctive cuisine... my home town...and very firmly located deep in the South.

It's the place where many of your top chefs were born, raised and trained. Whatever would you do without us sending our talent up to you?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:16 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
Yup, as the article says, the chef's food that no-one could stomach in the south moved north because they knew the hipsters would love it...

That's why it's called "New Southern Cuisine" - has that certain hipster appeal does it not?
I dunno, I've been to Paula Deen's restaurant in Georgia and I loved it.

I'm also smart enough to read a link and know that Fox news is a complete joke, this is another example that it's full of hacks and is geared towards readers who have the intellectual capacity of a trog.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:17 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
If the economy keeps going the way it is people across America may soon be eating fried green tomatoes with squrriel gravy and grits

Old 12-28-2011, 07:18 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
I dunno, I've been to Paula Deen's restaurant in Georgia and I loved it.

I'm also smart enough to read a link and know that Fox news is a complete joke, this is another example that it's full of hacks and is geared towards readers who have the intellectual capacity of a trog.
Spoken as a true elitist liberal, I salute you

Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Not to get off-topic but the next after New Orleans?

2 - St Louis
3 - Baltimore
4 - Detroit
5 - Newark
6 - Oakland
7 - Washington DC
8 - Kansas City
9 - Buffalo
10 - Cincinnati

Not to stay off topic, but there seems to be a common denominator here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies