Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 05:38 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You don't get it.

Everything you find in New Orleans can be found in New York. No, it won't be as good, and no, it's not QUITE as authentic, but you can find it and it will be DAMN good. And it won't be wrapped up into some chain style joint either.

Yes, New Orleans style Creole/Cajun is very distinctive. But it can be found in other places. And i bet it'll be better in New York than it'll be in Knoxville, that's for damn sure.
But everything in NYC can be found elsewhere too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Yet before he came along with his ideas the critics and experts raved about his predecessors...

Says a lot about critics and experts...
Critics I never bother with, because everyone knows what a critic is, an expert I will listen to and question until I know for a fact they dont know what they're talking about.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
I might tend to agree that some Southern dishes are not that healthy (fried food primarily), but to heap some kind of "social" stigma on it is just plain silly.

It seems like today many "upscale" restaurants are trying to outdo each other by coming up with the most insane and bizarre food combinations possible. Honestly, some of the menu items are laughable they are so "out there", in the name of being trendy. Not to mention the fact that you don't HAVE TO HAVE GARLIC in every single dish!!!!

Given the choice between fried catfish with corn fritters and chimayo chili wrapped duck breast with black beans, chevre, roasted butternut squash, duck confit rilette and fig demi, you can bet I'd pick the catfish.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-29-2011, 05:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,208,730 times
I'm not a fried food fan, but I do live in the South. Why would any Southerner worth his weight in chicken fried steak even care what the say in New York?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Unfortunately, its the closest city to me.....they do have a wonderful seafood market there, Winter Park, to be exact.
Lombardi's Seafood - Fresh Seafood

Paul was one of the first to put the idea of locally sourced food out there, amazing when you consider it all, you know?
If you are going to buy good seafood, buy it from the source. I would not buy bluefin tuna in grocery store in Alaska any more than you should buy king crab or wild salmon in Florida.

Thank goodness for the Internet.

Sagaya Seafood Orders

Old 12-29-2011, 06:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I might tend to agree that some Southern dishes are not that healthy (fried food primarily), but to heap some kind of "social" stigma on it is just plain silly.
That is a myth actually. Fried foods are only bad for you when you use trans-fat. Deep-frying with either canola or peanut oil is a mono-unsaturated fat with beneficial omega-3 fatty acids (in the case of canola oil).

As long as the oil temperature is 350°F or higher, there will be very little oil transferred to the food, less than a teaspoon. So there is absolutely no basis to the myth that deep-fried food is any less healthy than any other prepared food.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I'm not a fried food fan, but I do live in the South. Why would any Southerner worth his weight in chicken fried steak even care what the say in New York?

Good point. Anything you can get in NY, you can get somewhere else.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
But everything in NYC can be found elsewhere too...
True. But in the Apple, you can find it within blocks of each other, not 10 miles. Sometimes you can find it on the same block.

But then, how easy is it to find a good bagel in Birmingham? Or a good plate of Arab food in Nashville.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
You don't get it.

Everything you find in New Orleans can be found in New York. No, it won't be as good, and no, it's not QUITE as authentic, but you can find it and it will be DAMN good. And it won't be wrapped up into some chain style joint either.

Yes, New Orleans style Creole/Cajun is very distinctive. But it can be found in other places. And i bet it'll be better in New York than it'll be in Knoxville, that's for damn sure.

And "Yankee Food" is far from repetitive. You just don't know what to eat.
No, you don't get it. Anything you can get in NY, you can get somewhere else. Either NO, Dallas, Houston, Miami or Atlanta. NY just has more restaurants and more pretentious critics that think the world starts and ends in NY. It doesn't.

Yankee food is bland, tasteless. I've been there, done that.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
You don't get it.

And "Yankee Food" is far from repetitive. You just don't know what to eat.
well said. New Orleans is great cuisine. As is Locke-Ober and Le Cirque up north...

Locke-Ober - Financial District - Boston | Urbanspoon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies