Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 05:29 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That is good to know. Thanks for the information. I had some deep-fried soft-shell blue crab from Maryland last week, and they were very good.
Disclaimer: I may be biased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 05:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
In the South its Southern food. Up north its Soul Food.

No media type would dare "dis" Soul Food!
In the last two decades, blacks have been the leading "dissers" of Soul Food themselves because of it's lack of good dietary value and contribution to a myriad of diseases.

But of course, you wouldn't know that since Rush didn't say it in a broadcast.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:44 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Any one else see the irony in the OP use of the word "elitist" to describe the NYT when the gist of the article they are citing didn't use that word and the article was complaining about the author's questionable choice of words?

Why the use of an opinion 'steering' adjective?

A quick review of the NYT article itself I get the impression that the author didn't even write the word undignified, rather the word dignify was use thus;

"And he is part of a thriving movement of idealistic Southern food producers who have a grander plan than just farm-to-table cuisine. They want to reclaim the agrarian roots of Southern cooking, restore its lost traditions and dignity..."

Sounds as though the author paraphased the intent of the subjects of the article. As in it was their word!!!!!!

Last edited by buzzards27; 12-30-2011 at 05:58 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 06:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
We do appreciate the good things. They just do not come from NYC or any other northern city or State when it concerns food. All the northern States do is imitate the cuisine from other cultures or nations, they have none of their own.

If you want good Gumbo, New Orleans is the place to get it, not NYC. If you want good barbque, Texas us the place to get it (sorry Kansas, your barbque is good, but not as good as Texas), not NYC. If you want good pizza, Italy is the place to get it, not NYC. NYC has nothing but expensive knock-offs of the original recipes from other geographical areas. About the only thing NYC has any legitimate claim to, as far as food is concerned, is the Coney Island hotdog.
Nonsense...it never stops.

If i can't get Gumbo in New Orleans, then what i get in NYC would STILL be better than just about everywhere else i could get Gumbo from in the United States except for other towns in Louisiana. I can get some incredible BBQ in NYC and i can get it from a thousand different places. No other city in the U.S. can touch its pizza. No, it's not BETTER than what i can find in Padova, Italy, but it's pretty damn good.

And Kansas City BBQ is every bit as good as Texas BBQ. It's just more sauce oriented than Texas BBQ is. Texas, contrary to popular belief, doesn't make BBQ any better than most places that specializes in it. Memphis is straight off the chain, and the best BBQ i've ever had was in Central Arkansas. Detroit and Chicago is pretty incredible too.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:50 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Am I the only one who's never bought in to the NY pizza hype? It's great pie but I've had good slices down here too.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Am I the only one who's never bought in to the NY pizza hype? It's great pie but I've had good slices down here too.
Burn him!!!!

How dare you try and think NYC might not be the be and end all...

Old 12-30-2011, 07:06 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
wow. Nice posts earlier regarding different cuisines. Then someone has to start the South vs. North issue.... most would agree many varied cuisines are to be appreciated.

Love all the diversity, New Orleans Texas or NYC. Why cant people just appreciate the good things?.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:55 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You need to get different glasses, those that you have on are allowing you to read things that arent there.
I posted earlier in this thread that food is one of the few things I actually know quite a bit about.
Hardly a legend, but I'm sorry if that makes you feel inferior in some way.
You also failed to answer any of the questions in my last post.
Why is that, exactly?
Oh I read your bragging post about your daughters wedding and while it sounds nice, my daughters will far exceed yours. Is that what you wanted to hear? We are blue blood south and I do know good dining, manners, social etiquette, and how to throw a party.....it is a way of life for me. Don't know about you??

Let me be real clear...I do not feel inferior to you in ANY way. Understand?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
^^^

Old 12-30-2011, 08:36 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I did some research and it seems most of the people on here who say southern food can't be founf somewhere else are lying or don't know what they are talking about.

At first I didn't know either,but most southern foods can be found in Africa,the birth place of soul food.
Collards,fried chicken,watermelon came from west Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies