Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 11:27 AM

46,947 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
WTF happened to this country? Everyone is so easily offended. You cant anything remotely negative about: Jews, gays, religion, "midgets", blacks, conservatives, women, etc... Without any public backlash!
You're decrying that you can't be rude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Anything but your opinion.
If this is true, show some studies.

And I boggle that you think violence is the answer to anything.
That is shameful.

Again, you do nothing but promote violence.
I don't want to live in your violent world, and I choose not to.
Good thing cooler heads prevail.
Violence is violence.
So violence was uncalled for in combatting tyranny in World War II?

Y'know...if I come home and see someone raping my wife I'm not gonna call the cops and sit back to watch him finish up while we're waiting for them to arrive. I'm gonna pick up something heavy and beat the everliving snot out of 'im.

Violence is violence, huh?

Old 12-31-2011, 03:53 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Some aspects of PCness(a more accurate word is censorship) are warranted, while others are not. What is starting to be annoying is the request for a link/reference to everything someone says, usually when it is interpretated as offensive. What ever happen to a person stating their own opinion? It can be something so obvious and observant, and some people still want a reference to a sociologist, psycologist, or a statisician who will just say something similar, only to have it laid out differently.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:43 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah, that's my pet peeve.

"Four eyes, four eyes"..punch in nose...no more name calling.

Today:
"Four eyes, four eyes"..suspension, bullying counseling..impending lawsuit by victim's parents for psychological damage and long term counseling sessions.
I agree with you 100% this time.

What I have a difficult time grasping is why everything has to be carried to extremes.

To not call people N i gg er, or drunk Indian (notice that isn't going to get filtered) or White trash, trailer trash, or any epithet is a good thing. It's good to try to teach kids to not bully, call names, ect. However it's not good to expel some poor kid because he's acting like the snot nosed little kid he is. I guarentee if he had to meet his opponent in the field across from the school after school to face off he'd stop.

^^^^ That's too simple and explanation, but most of you will get the grist of my post.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:12 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You're decrying that you can't be rude?
No. He's saying that you can't say anything against a protected minority, even if it's proven to be true for the most part. Yet whites aren't afforded the same protection and honestly we're getting sick and effing tired of it.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 AM

93 posts, read 100,364 times
Default Can someone explain the evolution of how people became so damn sensitive in this country!

Growing up in NYC 40 years ago I had many friends of different ethnicities. I was called WOP, ****,GUINEA. My Irish friends we called MICKS. We called the JEWISH kids HEEBS! Our black friends we called SPOOKS(Never used the N word because we knew it was very hurtful and had deep nasty roots, never crossed the line). The Polish kids were POLLACKS, the GERMAN kids were KRAUTS.We'd give each other the shirts off our backs! I liked it the way it was back then. People were more genuine and sincere and could take a joke. Back then people were rougher on the outside, but good and softer in the core. Now I just think people worry too much about the external and being polished, now i think people are more refined on the outside and rotten in the core. To me it just seems like Americans became sensitive and intolerant overnight, but nothing happens that fast. Can somebody explain to me the process of how Americans came to worry more about words than actions?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Some people didn't have the privilege to evolve, so we see the problems that we do.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Affirmative Action, Political Correctness, Homosexual Rights, Animal Rights, Environmental Rights, Womens Rights, and a plethora of other Liberal Ideologies have created more self-esteem issues than they've resolved. When you plop a label on someone, as Liberals love to do, you create an automatic backlash within segments of the population, which then drives a vicious cycle of hurt feelings that require special protections. Democrats love to protect "victims" of poor self-esteem.

In other words.....Liberalism....the bain of evil in this country....is responsible for the Panty Waisted society of American's that we've devolved into. God forbid someone's feelings get hurt!!!!

And now we have a President who is multiplying the assault on sanity and common sense by pitting American's against each other via class warfare. It's no coincidence that he's a Liberal and a Democrat.

It's never-ending, and it's the result of Everyone Deserves Everything In America that Liberalism promotes.

The bottom line is that this country is a Lead Zepplin going down quick.

Pessimist? No. Realist? Yes.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:37 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEssex View Post
Growing up in NYC 40 years ago I had many friends of different ethnicities. I was called WOP, ****,GUINEA. My Irish friends we called MICKS. We called the JEWISH kids HEEBS! Our black friends we called SPOOKS(Never used the N word because we knew it was very hurtful and had deep nasty roots, never crossed the line). The Polish kids were POLLACKS, the GERMAN kids were KRAUTS.We'd give each other the shirts off our backs! I liked it the way it was back then. People were more genuine and sincere and could take a joke. Back then people were rougher on the outside, but good and softer in the core. Now I just think people worry too much about the external and being polished, now i think people are more refined on the outside and rotten in the core. To me it just seems like Americans became sensitive and intolerant overnight, but nothing happens that fast. Can somebody explain to me the process of how Americans came to worry more about words than actions?
Fear! Cable network devoted to it. Talk radio stations devoted to it. Rag "Newspapers" devoted to it. Political Party devoted to it. People on the internet devoted to it. Pretty simple really.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,398 times
Simple...Its called Political correctness or Social correctness...you pick it.

Funny,I just had this same conversation with my two teenage sons last night at the dinner table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies