Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

It's globalization folks. US wages come down while third world wages go up. We meet somewhere in the middle.

These are union jobs and the new union wages. It's either work for less money or the work will go to another country.

We did this to ourselves folks and it didn't happen overnight.
It was decades in the making and you'd be foolish to think we can go back to what we once had.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/bu...%2Findex.jsonp
Manufacturers are hiring again in America, softening a long slide in factory employment. But for a new generation of blue-collar workers, even those protected by unions, the price of employment is likely to be lower wages stretching to retirement.
The wages for the new hires, however, are $10 to $15 an hour less than the pay scale for hourly employees already on staff — with the additional concession that the newcomers will not catch up for the foreseeable future. Such union-endorsed contracts are also showing up in the auto industry, at steel and tire companies, and at manufacturers of farm implements and other heavy equipment, according to Gordon Pavy, president of the Labor and Employment Relations Association and, until recently, the A.F.L.-C.I.O.’s director of collective bargaining.
Mayor Fischer said, arguing that while the city is actively subsidizing G.E.’s expansion here, mainly through tax rebates, that is not enough. “You must have a globally competitive wage to create jobs,” the mayor insisted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 05:01 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Actualy Time ragazine did an article about Germany a few months back that basicly said this is exactly what they were dealing with too.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:22 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Mayor Fischer said, arguing that while the city is actively subsidizing G.E.’s expansion here, mainly through tax rebates, that is not enough. “You must have a globally competitive wage to create jobs,” the mayor insisted.
Wonder if we'll ever see upper management compensation approach global levels?

Old 12-30-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's happening to lower and middle mgmt now. Why keep a US manager when more than 1/2 your people are working in another country and they can hire a manager there for a fraction of the cost.

I don't think you'll see HQ folks being offshored but I think anyone below that is just biding time.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:23 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
This is good news for employment and the economy and our country needs production. Good move by the unions they can just about hire 2 people for the price of 1.It is just reality to compete in a global economy wages have to come down,the days of a person making 30 bucks a hour to run a air wrench are coming to a end. This along with Catapiller building a new plant in Iowa is news I like to hear I mean who could be against real job creation.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:31 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I would say, not real likely.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
This is good news for employment and the economy and our country needs production. Good move by the unions they can just about hire 2 people for the price of 1.It is just reality to compete in a global economy wages have to come down,the days of a person making 30 bucks a hour to run a air wrench are coming to a end. This along with Catapiller building a new plant in Iowa is news I like to hear I mean who could be against real job creation.
They shouldn't. But with lower salaries come lower expectations.
How does that drive a consumer based economy ?

Maybe, in the long run, all prices will eventually fall to be within the range of lowered salaries.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:37 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
We did it to ourselves. had these jobs remained here, and employment remained high, there would be a struggle to attract and keep quality workers, pay would be higher, as would benefits.

With unemployment at such high levels, well, it's open season.

People need to get off their high horse and start taking jobs even at min wage, and work their way up. Our grandparents knew and understood that a min wage job was a stepping stone to better things.

We need to step up, and realize, we don't need a car for ever member of the household, we CAN stack kids 2 to a room, (I remember sleeping on a bunk bed, made for great pillow fights, and arguments who got top bunk, the better attack position), we don't need a tv the size of the entire wall, and we don't need a tv for every room in the home. We don't all need smartphones, and can actually get a plan that with small flip phones, rival the cost of a home phone system, and with minimal use, it's doesn't require an arm and a leg, your first born, and a pint of blood every month.

We don't need 100$ tennis shoes, and in fact many sneakers can be found at a cost of 20$ or less that wear well. We don't need 70$ jeans, expensive everything.

It's called living within your means, and WORKING to improve yourself.

I started out as an 18 year old kid, kicked out of the home soon after turning 18. I had been accepted to 2 great colleges that I couldn't afford, and ended up working at General tire, changing tires on cars making minimum wage, and living at the YMCA on Morehead st in Charlotte NC. Let's face it, no silver spoon here. So I know what it's like, I know about hard work, and I also know that through hard work, you can better yourself.

Quit whining, start at the bottom and work your way up.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:48 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They shouldn't. But with lower salaries come lower expectations.
How does that drive a consumer based economy ?

Maybe, in the long run, all prices will eventually fall to be within the range of lowered salaries.
My veiw is there is too much imbalance between consuming and producing and for the economy in the future to get better the gap needs to be narrowed.

I do not agree with the lower salaries comes lower expectations I think they stay the same. The worker can do the job up too companies expectations or he will be replaced, with the massive amount of people unemployed the companies are in the drivers seat. They will not tolerate anyone hurting their profit margins.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
My veiw is there is too much imbalance between consuming and producing and for the economy in the future to get better the gap needs to be narrowed.

I do not agree with the lower salaries comes lower expectations I think they stay the same. The worker can do the job up too companies expectations or he will be replaced, with the massive amount of people unemployed the companies are in the drivers seat. They will not tolerate anyone hurting their profit margins.
I didn't mean worker expectations but consumer expectations from the point of having more money to buy stuff.

Less money = less stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies