Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?
Yes 292 50.34%
No 256 44.14%
I am unsure 32 5.52%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:34 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Sex between a man and a woman who are married to one another is not controversial for families or for society as a whole.
But how they have that sex may be.

Baptists don't fornicate standing up for fear someone might think they're dancing.

How do you 'splain that one to yer kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:36 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Can we get a forum specifically for GLBTG, and make this forum for just politics? This way the concerns for gay plight and gay social issues can be addressed by people who actually care about those issues.

for the umteenth time, being gay is natural, but it is not a "normal" condition for any species.

this folder is also for "other controversies" as well as politics. making a special folder would turn into a mutual circle jerk like the illegal immigration folder. no debate, just back and forth agreement for the most part. don't like the topic, don't play. with all the hate in this thread it is no wonder people have to fight for the civil rights and normalizing the view of homosexuals. no reason to hide the issue in another folder

Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Before I go any further, let me just get something out of the way..

If someone simply disagrees with homosexuality, does that mean they hate homosexuals?

Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
this folder is also for "other controversies" as well as politics. making a special folder would turn into a mutual circle jerk like the illegal immigration folder. no debate, just back and forth agreement for the most part. don't like the topic, don't play. with all the hate in this thread it is no wonder people have to fight for the civil rights and normalizing the view of homosexuals. no reason to hide the issue in another folder
The "other controversies"can be a separate folder, politics, like religion are hot topics, and should not be lumped in with nonsensical topics. So there you go, all fixed.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The "other controversies"can be a separate folder, politics, like religion are hot topics, and should not be lumped in with nonsensical topics. So there you go, all fixed.
nonsensical topics? sorry civil rights for all our citizens is political

Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
It seems that straight people are more concerned about the persecution of gays than gays are - Why is that? It appears that religious people are more concerned about gays than probably God himself - Imagine that we are mere bacteria in the mind of the all mghty God - Does it makes sense that God is interested in what said germs to with their genitals? Not that I am pro- or anti- anything - My point is that murder - hunger - human suffering and general abuse of human rights dispite there sexuality or sex..are the real issues - as for "educating" children about "gay" - well that is a total waste of time - teach the children about things that count - about - honour - truth and real human compassion - what we have in this issue is a potlitical agenda that has little to do with real human rights and the protection of them.. as I have said over and over again - let nature take it's course and leave the children alone- as for the adults - let them make their own lives better and get their noses out of other peoples buisness - and I mean the all adults from all special interest groups - Children should be left as children and do not need to be informed about what side they should take when it comes to social control and engineering - Let the kids be free!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Sex between a man and a woman who are married to one another is not controversial for families or for society as a whole.
There are many forms of heterosexuality that are just as controversial as homosexuality. Some examples: male pedophiles that target girls and female pedophiles that target boys, BDSM, polygamy (one man with multiple wives), polyamory (having more than one serious relationship at a time). BDSM, polygamy, and polyamory aren't by definition heterosexual, but they are still very controversial to many people when expressed in a heterosexual way (male dominance/female submission or female dominance/male submission in BDSM, one man with multiple wives, a man and woman dating each other but also dating other partners at the same time). Your average person finds all those forms of heterosexuality just as controversial as homosexuality. So in a lot of ways, heterosexuality is controversial for a lot of people. Even heterosexual monogamous situations can be controversial when they cross social boundaries. A 70-year-old man with a 20-year-old woman is controversial. A Muslim dating a Hindu is very controversial in some parts of the world. A white person dating a black person was not only controversial but illegal in the U.S. for a long time, and is still controversial in some areas of the U.S. So I think you may have to re-evaluate your statement about heterosexuality being non-controversial to society as a whole.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

If someone simply disagrees with homosexuality, does that mean they hate homosexuals?
I don't agree with it - but I am not about to harm all those that I disagree with - nor will I teach my children to persecute anyone that is disagreeable in my eyes - A great society is one that protects all that are living...as the quoted writer above states . that they do not hate...I see where they are coming from - If I find a certain thing unpleasant - I just don't indulge in it...I find vanilla ice cream boring...and unpleasant in comparisson to maple walnut...am I to destroy and HATE those that like vanilla? As for honor and good behaviour...I have stated in the past in a bias manner that all gays are dishonorable - well ....I take that back - most human being in general lack honor.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:53 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

Not necessarily, generally depends on whether you have a live let live attitude. Although I don't know what there is to disagree with. It would be like disagreeing with black skin, blue eyes, left-handedness, high IQs, or the sky being blue.

Homosexuality exists and is not going away. Just because you personally would never want to be with a member of the same-sex (and if you're straight, that would make sense), doesn't mean you can't accept that some people are wired to only be attracted to members of the same-sex.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
There are many forms of heterosexuality that are just as controversial as homosexuality. Some examples: male pedophiles that target girls and female pedophiles that target boys, BDSM, polygamy (one man with multiple wives), polyamory (having more than one serious relationship at a time). BDSM, polygamy, and polyamory aren't by definition heterosexual, but they are still very controversial to many people when expressed in a heterosexual way (male dominance/female submission or female dominance/male submission in BDSM, one man with multiple wives, a man and woman dating each other but also dating other partners at the same time). Your average person finds all those forms of heterosexuality just as controversial as homosexuality. So in a lot of ways, heterosexuality is controversial for a lot of people. Even heterosexual monogamous situations can be controversial when they cross social boundaries. A 70-year-old man with a 20-year-old woman is controversial. A Muslim dating a Hindu is very controversial in some parts of the world. A white person dating a black person was not only controversial but illegal in the U.S. for a long time, and is still controversial in some areas of the U.S. So I think you may have to re-evaluate your statement about heterosexuality being non-controversial to society as a whole.
I agree with the gist of what you're saying. You haven't read my other posts.

In the context of this thread, the question is - why should schools teach young children about controversial sexual matters (without the consent of their parents)? I don't see any reason for it nor do I think it's right.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-03-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies