Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?
Yes 292 50.34%
No 256 44.14%
I am unsure 32 5.52%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times

Advertisements

Okay, now I'm not asking this, but this is something the world wants to know:

If being gay is natural, then why didn't "Mother Nature" make another hole/body part down there for them to use (other than the one that clearly has a "DO NOT ENTER" sign on it)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It appears that religious people are more concerned about gays than probably God himself
People have the right to be concerned about that is being taught to their children. There is something seriously wrong when the government forces teachers to teach kids that something is moral, when the parents strongly feel it is immoral. I am politically independent and vote both sides of the isle, but if this is what liberalism brings, then I don't see how I can support them anymore. Such law is horribly disrespectful towards most parents.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-03-2012 at 09:11 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Please. Not the non sequitur psychobabble again.
I openly dislike the desert. I've been to most of them on the planet and hate every one. I am most definitely not hiding a deep and secret wish to suffocate and dehydrate in a wasteland.

While I have no religious beliefs at all and couldn't care less who's bumping uglies with whom, the reality is that most people are religious and most religious orders are against homosexuality. We're talking about people's fundamental belief system, it's a huge part of their identity. To suggest they are all hiding homosexual tendencies is not just a logical fallacy, it's not being intellectually honest.
Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Shakespeare
Player Queen:
Both here and hence pursue me lasting strife,
If once I be a widow, ever I be a wife!
Player King:
'Tis deeply sworn. Sweet, leave me here a while,
My spirits grow dull, and fain I would beguile
The tedious day with sleep.
Player Queen:
Sleep rock thy brain,
And never come mischance between us twain!
Hamlet:
Madam, how like you this play?
Queen:
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
There is much more to communication than just the words that come out of one's mouth.

Sexuality is most likely not a discrete scale. Few people are likely wholly gay or straight.

Quote:
the reality is that most people are religious and most religious orders are against homosexuality. We're talking about people's fundamental belief system, it's a huge part of their identity.
That most people are taught something which is against the natural order of things, and quite possibly against the natural order of themselves would likely cause some conflict.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And yet they continue to come out of the woodwork at admit they're gay. All those Conservative family values Republicans hold their beliefs due to religion, and yet they keep getting caught in gay scandals.

You don't seriously believe Marcus Bachmann is straight do you?
To be honest, I don't know who that is. Should I? I'm terrible with names so you'd have to provide me with some context. Are you presenting this person as data or anecdote? See where this is going?

Again you're using a non sequitur and making sweeping generalizations.

Look, as is obvious, I don't buy into most of the nonsense touted about as "common knowledge" but knowing many deeply religious people of various faiths, it has become quite clear to me that they truly believe it. Most religions do indeed forbid homosexuality so suggesting a true believer is somehow secretly homosexual is ludicrous. Are SOME? The law of averages alone would suggest as much but assuming vehement opposition to something forbidden by a particular faith as a smokescreen to cover their own guilt is illogical and would more likely indicate stronger faith. In short, while delusional, they are far more likely practicing what they preach than hiding.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Before I go any further, let me just get something out of the way..

If someone simply disagrees with homosexuality, does that mean they hate homosexuals?

How do you "disagree" with homosexuality? If you're heterosexual, why do you care?

Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Before I go any further, let me just get something out of the way..

If someone simply disagrees with homosexuality, does that mean they hate homosexuals?
Nairobi, No it does not mean one hates homosexuals. The hate comes in when people feel they must condemn homosexuals, create laws that make them second class citizens, use their bible to justify hating them and when they teach their children that to hate homosexuals, to harm them or to call and make them second class, now that is hate and promulgating that hate. I am reading a book about the 1906 S F earthquake and after the quake, many Chinese tried to enter the state with no means of supporting their claims of relations in the US. The Chinese exclusion act was created to ban them from entering the US. It took over 30 years for that law to be removed from the books. That law was created from fear and hatred of the Chinese, they were treated like animals. Any laws created by the majority to suppress a minority is wrong and so un USA. Because one does not understand another persons differences, does not mean they have to hate that person or persons or make laws that make those differences that make them separate but supposedly equal.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Not necessarily, generally depends on whether you have a live let live attitude. Although I don't know what there is to disagree with. It would be like disagreeing with black skin, blue eyes, left-handedness, high IQs, or the sky being blue.

Homosexuality exists and is not going away. Just because you personally would never want to be with a member of the same-sex (and if you're straight, that would make sense), doesn't mean you can't accept that some people are wired to only be attracted to members of the same-sex.
Maybe those attracted to sex in general...might want to get some control over the act of reckless abandon - when it comes to personal pleasure of any kind? I guess what I mean is no one is stating that human beings do NOT have to act on every little urge or attraction - BUT it seems there is modern social encouragment to act out in a 1960s manner "if it feels good do it" - I just don't think that homosexuality is a black and white or a cut and dry issue - sexuality is very complex and our attempt to label everything seems to stem from some sort of social panic....I just wish that society would move on...to more important things than what is between their legs and what they find attractive....A human being does not have to react to every thing on earth that is attractive - are we moths moving towards every flame or light?

I just hope that we evolve to the point of being more spiritual beings that just common and highly intelligent animals that indulge and react to every stimuli on earth..There are so called - gays that are attracted to beautiful woman...(i don't mean bi-sexuals) - who are NOT allowed to follow through with their attraction because - they have been offically banned from doing so by the now highly institutional catagory of "gay" - give humans some freedom to be fully themselves! That is my point.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:17 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

That most people are taught something which is against the natural order of things, and quite possibly against the natural order of themselves would likely cause some conflict.
So what is this natural order of things? Whether you're aware of it or not you are now using the standard creationists' argument.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:

If being gay is natural, then why didn't "Mother Nature" make another hole/body part down there for them to use (other than the one that clearly has a "DO NOT ENTER" sign on it)?

Once again, this assumes that anal sex is an exclusively homosexual act. Do you believe that to be true? If not, are heterosexual couples that engage in anal sex also going to Hell?

Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:

Why do heterosexuals practice the same sexual practices that homosexuals use, yet they are not being condemned for it. Oral sex is not procreative, nor is anal, yet hets practice that. There was a time when sex with protection was considered not normal. That is why my Mom was pregnant ten times from 17 to 31, the catholic church forbid birth control in the 40's 50's and in the 60's they relented and said that tubal ligations were not against gods will, so my Mom got her tubes tied and ended the production line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies