Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 PM

800 posts, read 508,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
They failed to realise if she was gonna do something bad,she wouldnt have even told them she had it!
Agreed. It seems like common sense in this country has been kicked to the curb in favor of draconian zero tolerance policies which are not really about safety but rather about money. The fact that this lady was arrested and jailed does not make the city safer, rather its simply an unconstitutional transfer of wealth and power from unaware but well meaning citizens to the corrupt justice system, so basically the law served it's intended purpose here. Also I don't want to hear about "ignorance of the law is no excuse" as it certainly should be an excuse, we don't have the time to read hundreds of books worth of laws many of which are not rationally assumed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
And hows that crime rate workin out for ya in the Big Apple? All states that have gun license/permit laws have lower crime rates for a reason.
Irrelevant to the discussion. We are talking about obeying current gun laws, not the crime rate.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Well, if you live in NYC, I guess you are where you belong, don't worry, when someone in kicking you door in, the cops will be there in about 20 minutes. Hope you have a strong door.
3 inches of oak and plexiglass, LOL!

Seriously, who's going to be kicking in my door? You have quite a distorted view of life in NYC.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 PM

and don't bring a machine gun either.

Pro Tip: Don't Bring A Loaded Machine Gun On The Subway: Gothamist

Old 01-03-2012, 02:52 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Look, we all know you or a member of your family is more likely to be a victim of the gun in the home than by a criminal trying to break into your own house.

So stop it already with the "I'm gonna shot you when you break into my house" BS. How many people are killed by their husbands or family members with legally owned guns in their own homes?

So the myth that you are safer with a gun than without one is one pushed by people who want their guns and think they can parade with them anywhere they want.

Since when we have laws in this country that allow us 100% liberties with 0% restraint and restrictions?

You have freedom of speech, but you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater or threaten the President of the United States.

Get real people.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:01 AM

957 posts, read 758,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Law enforcement and all other public servants DO NOT swear an oath to follow their superiors commands. They swear an oath to uphold and defend the constitution, which is their solemn duty to obey. And that duty would necessarily include refusal to enforce unlawful laws.
How is the law "unlawful?" At what point did the court strike down this law?

I take it then that you're advocating the arresting officer determine the appropriate punishment & the courts be damned. Suppose the arresting officer determined that executing the woman would be appropriate action & did such. Would you be OK with that?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
This is why I support the proposed law to require ALL states to recognize ALL the other states firearms laws, including ther lack of laws such as in Vermont, just as they already recognize driver's licenses.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 AM

957 posts, read 758,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This is why I support the proposed law to require ALL states to recognize ALL the other states firearms laws, including ther lack of laws such as in Vermont, just as they already recognize driver's licenses.
Since I ride a motorcycle & am able to split lanes in my state, then I should also be able to split lanes in ALL states, correct?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:08 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
The officer's job is to arrest the person, as they're in violation of the law, it's not their job to determine what corrective action to take. That's up to the court.

Not true at all. Officers use discretion quite often. For example, they give some drivers a warning ticket and others a speeding ticket.

Law enforcement is not that black and white. Officers use discretion to ignore drivers breaking the speed limit when the amount is small. They could give you a speeding ticket for driving 61 in a 60 MPH zone but they CHOOSE not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies