Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:21 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Police: Tanning Salon Robber Gary Amaya Definitely the 'Honeybee Killer' (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/crime/gary-amaya-honeybee-killer-orland-park-la-tan-tanning-salon-customer-robber-jason-mcdaniel-20101215 - broken link)

I've lived here all of my 48 years. I've never felt the need to carry a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 01:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So what makes you qualified to decide whether lethal force is needed for a given situation? Police officers go to college and training academy and then serve as a probational officer before given that kind of responsibility.
If you have a gun and someone is raping your wife are ya gonna sign up for training academy?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:24 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
How do you know? She could have used it later, in public, in a store, on the subway...
But with gun control that never happens!

Old 12-31-2011, 01:25 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
How do you know? She could have used it later, in public, in a store, on the subway...
So could any human on earth.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:25 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Neither did Chandra Levy.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Yea, that's why she went to the cops and said...here is my gun....

Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So what makes you qualified to decide whether lethal force is needed for a given situation? Police officers go to college and training academy and then serve as a probational officer before given that kind of responsibility.
Can't speak to the processes in other states, although I understand that they're somewhat uniform, but here in Nevada, in order to obtain a CCW permit, one must take a class that covers, among other things, what is and isn't appropriate when it comes to using your weapon.

It's not rocket science, you know. One doesn't need "college and training academy" to know that their life is in danger. Most of it is instinct. The class teaches you how the law defines those situations, so there is little question as to whether or not you're committing a crime by defending yourself.

Your posts in this thread stick out like a sore thumb, and I have to ask you something - why do you have zero issues with LEOs carrying guns, while being scared to death that a regular civilian does? Other than "college and training academy," what is so magical about a LEO? They're people - just like you or me. Most of the training they receive has little or nothing to do with guns. A relative few actually practice regularly with their weapon, but you still feel safe around them. It doesn't make sense.

If you were to sit next to me at a poker table the next time you were in Vegas, you wouldn't know that I was carrying a gun. We could chat it up for hours while you slowly drizzled your chips away, and you might think that I was the nicest, friendliest guy in town. The fact that I happened to have a gun on my person wouldn't have any impact on your opinion of me, or how safe you felt sitting next to me, as you would never even know it was there.

I don't know where you're from, but if you're in a large city in all but a few states, I guarantee that similar situations happen to you all the time. You almost certainly see and interact with CCW holders on almost a daily basis, but you're blissfully unaware of the fact that they've got a gun, because those people don't pose any threat to you. In fact, if you were in a dangerous situation, one of those people could very well save your life.

My advice to you is to think a little more about your position, as it seems to be based purely on an irrational fear of an inanimate object. Most likely you were brought up by parents that were themselves afraid of guns, and they drilled it into you from the time you were little. If that's the case, it's all well and good - they were doing what they thought was best for their child. But you're not a child any longer. It's time to do your own thinking and reach your own conclusion. Set aside the fear and do some research on the subject. Talk to your local police officers about what they think about law-abiding citizens legally carrying firearms. Most approve. And these are the guys that you trust without question to be carrying a gun...

Old 12-31-2011, 01:30 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
That's great! But why do you want to strip others of their right to make that choice for themselves?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
I don't have a problem with the police's initial reaction. They were undoubtedly enforcing the law. What really bothers me is that the district attorney has decided to prosecute. This was a woman who discovered/realized that she had carried her gun into a place where it wasn't legal. She tried to surrender it and is charged with a felony. That's just not right.

You folks from NYC don't understand how common it is to carry in other parts of the U.S. Gun goes into purse and stays there, right along with the used gum that's been folded into a Kleenex and stuffed into the bottom of your purse. It's just "there". If she'd seen a sign that read "No gum allowed on premises" she might have found a waste can to dispose of it, but since it was "No gun" she asked for help in following the law. You see, in other parts of the country the police are there to help citizens, not send them to prison for asking for help. (And that's exactly what the DA is trying to do here.)

There was a time in the Cowboy West when some towns had laws against carrying handguns inside city limits. But the cowboys could check their weapons without being thrown into prison.

Eh, you probably will never understand.

In Wyoming, btw, you don't need a permit to carry a weapon. Our lawmakers apparently decided that the U.S. Constitution gives us that right.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:06 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
That's fine. That's your choice. But don't make that choice for everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies