Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 03:07 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times

Advertisements

...when seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

I'll keep my Glock handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 03:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I don't have a problem with the police's initial reaction. They were undoubtedly enforcing the law. What really bothers me is that the district attorney has decided to prosecute. This was a woman who discovered/realized that she had carried her gun into a place where it wasn't legal. She tried to surrender it and is charged with a felony. That's just not right.

Exactly! DAs have a huge amount of latitude on who to charge and who to let go.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:37 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That's fine. That's your choice. But don't make that choice for everyone else.
And the overwhelming amount of those in NY are fine with the law.

Fact of the matter is if you, I or anyone else go to another state, city, municipality, etc we need to follow the laws of that area. Ignorance of the law because its legal where you live isn't an excuse for breaking the law.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:37 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
That's great! But why do you want to strip others of their right to make that choice for themselves?
I don't. I expect gun owners to check the laws of the state/city they plan to visit, then obey them. Very simple.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:43 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I don't have a problem with the police's initial reaction. They were undoubtedly enforcing the law. What really bothers me is that the district attorney has decided to prosecute. This was a woman who discovered/realized that she had carried her gun into a place where it wasn't legal. She tried to surrender it and is charged with a felony. That's just not right. She was already in the state with a gun. She already broke the law. (although, I agree that they took it too far. They should have just confiscated the gun until she was leaving the state.)

You folks from NYC don't understand how common it is to carry in other parts of the U.S. Gun goes into purse and stays there, right along with the used gum that's been folded into a Kleenex and stuffed into the bottom of your purse. It's just "there". If she'd seen a sign that read "No gum allowed on premises" she might have found a waste can to dispose of it, but since it was "No gun" she asked for help in following the law. You see, in other parts of the country the police are there to help citizens, not send them to prison for asking for help. (And that's exactly what the DA is trying to do here.)

There was a time in the Cowboy West when some towns had laws against carrying handguns inside city limits. But the cowboys could check their weapons without being thrown into prison.

Eh, you probably will never understand.

In Wyoming, btw, you don't need a permit to carry a weapon. Our lawmakers apparently decided that the U.S. Constitution gives us that right.
And people in other parts of the country apparently don't understand that you don't need a gun in NYC.

If you want to try to change the law, go ahead. It's fine. I have no problem if people want to own guns. We're not saying you can't have guns. You just have to own one within the scope of NY law.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:55 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Warning to law abiding citizens; never ask LE for help in complying with the law. It can get you arrested.

These idiots arrest a perfectly safe law abiding citizen asking for help in storing her gun.

Next time, just don't tell anyone you have a gun.

These cops are absolute idiots. It's no wonder that so many people have a low opinion of LE.

A tourist from Tennessee waltzed into one of the most secure sites in the city — and politely asked a cop if she could check her weapon.
Instead, she was dragged out in cuffs.
Now, Meredith Graves, 39, is facing at least three years in prison for thinking New York’s gun laws are anything like those in the Bible Belt.

Read more: Tennessee gun owner arrested at 9/11 Memorial in New York for gun possession - NYPOST.com

when the states start to follow the Full faith and credit clause of the consitution, this sort of crime will go away.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
And people in other parts of the country apparently don't understand that you don't need a gun in NYC.

If you want to try to change the law, go ahead. It's fine. I have no problem if people want to own guns. We're not saying you can't have guns. You just have to own one within the scope of NY law.

Sure, that's what they told the child bride in Afghanistan. You will get married at nine and beaten up. If you don't like it, change the law!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post

The huge majority of people who carry a CW will never need it. I don't own a handgun, and when I did I never carried it concealed, but that's neither here nor there. My point was that the NYC DA is carrying it too far, and I'm glad that you agree.

It's seems obvious from the news story that the gal had forgotten she even had the gun until she saw the sign warning against it, and at that point she tried to do the right thing. And that's what got her into trouble.

As for "You just have to own one withing the scope of NY law." No, you have to own one within the scope of NY City law.

We have some very small towns in Wyoming. Very small. Population 5. No doubt they could pass some obscure law making it illegal to have, say, a cell phone. (Cell phones can be used to set up illegal drug deals.) Then when you pass through town on your way to Yellowstone you could be arrested for having a cell phone on your person. Explain the difference.

You should have known, right? You should have checked the laws before entering that town with your cell phone. Silly? Yes, but my point is that law abiding visitors to a city don't usually make a habit of checking to see what's legal and what isn't legal in that town, and if you're coming from a place where it's normal to carry a hand gun (or a cell phone) you may not even think about it.

Had the "suspect" realized before the incident that she was illegally carrying a weapon, she would most likely have placed it in the trunk of her car and been legal again. When she saw the sign, that would have been the best thing to do -- return to her car immediately (and illegally) and stashed the gun in the trunk. (Does that make it legal then? I don't know.) But her car was probably a long ways away, so she asked for help. BIG mistake! Does that really make her a criminal? Come on....

Old 01-01-2012, 12:34 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Idiot law. Idiot lawmakers in NY and especially NYC. Somebody ought to challenge this law.
If it were to go to jury, I would hope that someone on the jury would nullify.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:36 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Exactly! DAs have a huge amount of latitude on who to charge and who to let go.
Most are corrupt and power hungry tools of the system who have sold their souls. I'm not surprised by this one's intentions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies