Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Happy new year to everyone--- as a resolution for 2012 lets all try to a little more respectful of everyone's right to express their opinions in a reasonable manner.
Nope, this is the year of the Maya! The heat upon us is blustering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 10:47 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,162 times
Happy New Year, everyone! Stay safe out there.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:42 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Fast away the old year passes;
Hail the new ye lads and lasses;
Sing we joyous all together;
Heedless of the wind and weather
Fa la la la la la la la la
-- Deck the Halls, 3rd verse

Happy New Years everyone from West Michigan.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
If I were to celebrate anyone's circumcision, it would be mine not someone else's.

In 1582, when Pope Gregory XIII adopted the current calendar, one of the changes was to move the date of the New Year from the then March 25 fixed date of Easter to January 1st, and not to the Christmas Day.

One of the reasons that the Christian year begins after and not on the Christmas Day is because of Biblical Mitzvah (Commandment).

A Jewish child does not get a name until 8 days after birth, which for a boy baby is also the circumcision day.

January 1st is the Feast of the Circumcision and hence when you lifted a cup or kissed someone at Midnight, you are celebrating the circumcision of Yeshua ben Yuseph, otherwise known as Jesus of Nazareth.

According to Circumcision of Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Prayer Book Anglicans still celebrate this Feast under that name, but most Catholics now, with the revisions of the Mass that followed the Second Vatican Council, celebrate January 1 as the Solemnity of St. Mary, the Mother of God, also a holy day of obligation. Likewise, contemporary Anglican calendars give January 1 as the "Naming of Jesus"."

(Of secondary interest: this is why we also have an April Fool's Day. April Fool's Day began in what is now Italy where people who did not know of the calendar change and continued to mark March 25th as the beginning of the New Year were made the butt end of jokes.)

Old 01-01-2012, 12:31 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

Kukulcan wishes you a happy new year and reminds you that it's gonna be 10 days shorter than usual, so plan accordingly.
Haha, should be interesting, the whole end of the world thing. It's also the year of the dragon in which my child will be born! I hear it is a the best year for a baby to be born. Of course that's all nonsense, but fun to talk about. This is probably just the year that the guy who made the calendar died on while he was making it.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:39 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Haha, should be interesting, the whole end of the world thing. It's also the year of the dragon in which my child will be born! I hear it is a the best year for a baby to be born. Of course that's all nonsense, but fun to talk about. This is probably just the year that the guy who made the calendar died on while he was making it.

Just in case, I'm putting off all my spending for Christmas 2012 until after the 21st. I'd hate to spend all that money just to have the world end a few days later.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:57 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
I saw a beautiful rainbow early this morning from my daughter's porch in rural Ohio. I hope this is a good omen for 2012.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:21 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Same to all on CD. Main thing is to stay safe, and also stay healthy. health is most important.
Have a very Happy new Year and hope that 2012 brings to everyone, what they so deserve.

Ok now party on my deck. Drinks, dancing, and the best tasting food.

HAPPY 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies