Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
In comparison to most of the posters here; I would typically be considered beyond progressive---perhaps even radical--- in my political and social views. Yet I think it's vitally important to remember that the most insidious threats to our freedom have no relationship to party politics.

There is a creeping tyranny that is/will affect all of us, regardless of where we are on the political spectrum. It happened under Carter and Reagan, it happened under Clinton and the Bush family, It's happening under Obama. When we fall into the trap of blaming those with different political or social ideologies, we lose our ability to focus on the corruption that systematically exists in American politics.

Congressional bills such as SOPA and Protect IP will stifle our free speech in equal proportion. Whatever you are for or against, someone in a position of governmental authority will be entrusted with the power--by fiat-- to prevent you from speaking your mind.

When increasingly-militarized police forces unconstitutionally disperse your protest, they won't care if you're OWS or Tea Party. If it meets the goals of the government to shut you up... perhaps even with violence...they will do it.

Warrantless searches and surveillance will be used whether you are a Democrat, a Republican, a Klansman, or a communist.

I think there are some conservatives and some liberals who care deeply and sincerely about protecting our freedoms. I also think there are far too many hypocrites on both sides.

This is one of the best posts I've read on this forum in a long time. Most people just want to rant and use hollow words that mean nothing and are started by thoughts that are about as empty as their minds. Notice I didn't use any names or even mention the OP. If people would read your post and think about it, they would see that you are correct, no one 'party' put us where we are today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Lightbulb Do you Take Conservatives Serious When They Rave About Freedoms?

Of course not.

Because what they whine about is not freedom, but white privelege. For instance, this recent trend to restrict voting. In America, voting is a constitutional right. Yet the GOP is busy trying to restrict who votes by erecting bureaucratic barriers that would exclude millions of eligible voters across the country. And the vast majority of those excluded would likely be minority and elderly voters. In other words, voters outside the shrinking republican constituency.

The lame republican argument is "Well, you have to show an ID to buy liquor or write a check."

What they fail to recognize is that neither of those activities is a constitutional right. Yet, they claim they're the party more concerned with the constitution.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Q: Do you Take Conservatives Serious When They Rave About Freedoms?
A: No. Only fools do.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I don't. Most of them don't have a clue about what's happening in the world around them.
When the president signed into law allowing the military to arrest people (even Americans) on suspicion of terrorism and can keep them indefinitely without official charges or trial...how did conservatives react?
Same goes for SOPA. Or accepting the official version of 9/11.
Generally, the conservatives are sucka$$es. Like obedient robots they conform and do as they are told. That's another reason why they despise OWS. The conservatives despise anyone who doesn't march along in step with conformism.
So let the conservatives wave their flags and blather their empty slogans, blah, blah, blah...it's just the air rushing between their ears.
You can make EXACTLY the same case about lefties.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I don't. Most of them don't have a clue about what's happening in the world around them.
When the president signed into law allowing the military to arrest people (even Americans) on suspicion of terrorism and can keep them indefinitely without official charges or trial...how did conservatives react?
Same goes for SOPA. Or accepting the official version of 9/11.
Generally, the conservatives are sucka$$es. Like obedient robots they conform and do as they are told. That's another reason why they despise OWS. The conservatives despise anyone who doesn't march along in step with conformism.
So let the conservatives wave their flags and blather their empty slogans, blah, blah, blah...it's just the air rushing between their ears.
The usual "Anybody who doesn't AGREE WITH me is (fill in the blank, because I am the smartest person in the world". Blah, blah, blah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies